SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Nobody to slow my roll!

4K views 45 replies 9 participants last post by  SRT_HC_707 
#1 ·
Took the cat out today for a ride to nowhere. Want to get my first 500 miles done and over with. I put about 45 miles on her. I was planning on doing more but all it started to rain (drizzle but the roads were damp) and then the temp dropped suddenly from 42 to 34.. Wet, cold and summer tires. Not a good combo.

I put her in ECO mode for the first time. I really like it for just tooling around. I had an opportunity to really open it up (pic below) but due to the wet and cold I decided it was in my best interest to behave.

I've got 490 miles on her now. I was going to change the oil but decided I'll drive her tommorrow and then change the oil after work tomorrow night..

See less See more
#12 ·
What you talking about DrBuick. My car ain't for sale LOL.

#11 ·
The weather changed again this evening. Warmed back up to 42 and it was raining just a drop here and there. Went out in the cat again to do a few things. Came home and I was at EXACTLY 500 miles.

I just came in from changing the oil. I post some info. on the oil change tomorrow. There is nothing particularly hard about it but I think DrBuick said something like it's a pain in the butt and I agree. The pain is how they designed the belly pan. It's two pieces and I think there were 19 fasteners in total that had to be removed. 9 screws (two different sizes) and the remainder where plastic clip fasteners. Going to need to get spares on the plastic fasteners for sure.

Check this picture out.. Each piece of green tape marks a fastener that has to be removed LOL. I feel sorry for the techs that have to do this regularly. What a freaking waste of time. I thought my german cars where a pain. Now way. In fact my current BMW has access ports so you don't even drop the pan. One for the oil filter and one for the drain.

On the bright side the steering rack is a piece of cake to remove ;) (just an observation I made while inspecting everything down there)

#13 ·
The weather changed again this evening. Warmed back up to 42 and it was raining just a drop here and there. Went out in the cat again to do a few things. Came home and I was at EXACTLY 500 miles.

I just came in from changing the oil. I post some info. on the oil change tomorrow. There is nothing particularly hard about it but I think DrBuick said something like it's a pain in the butt and I agree. The pain is how they designed the belly pan. It's two pieces and I think there were 19 fasteners in total that had to be removed. 9 screws (two different sizes) and the remainder where plastic clip fasteners. Going to need to get spares on the plastic fasteners for sure.

Check this picture out.. Each piece of green tape marks a fastener that has to be removed LOL. I feel sorry for the techs that have to do this regularly. What a freaking waste of time. I thought my german cars where a pain. Now way. In fact my current BMW has access ports so you don't even drop the pan. One for the oil filter and one for the drain.

yes not hard just a PITA the 3 inside up in about 2 inches were the worse

#21 ·
When you clean the engine side (top) of the belly pans is that a sign of severe OCD? Mine are spiffy clean now. Lots of sand and stuff collects there.

#29 ·
DrBuick did you get much out of the oil cooler drain? I opened that one first and I probably got no more than an ounce or two. Then I pulled the pan plug and finally removed the filter.

With everything off (both plugs and filter) I ran some shop air in the filter drain. Got at least a couple extra ounces out the pain drain (and some out of the filter housing too).

#35 ·
Yup, I used a second wrench on the aluminum block where the plug screws in. People are going to end up twisting the lines or snapping them off the cooler. Very poor design.

Then they just threaded the aluminum block. That is pretty cheesy. I made sure to put that in by hand as far as I could. Thread are sort of tight. I also cleaned up some thread shrapnel from the original tapping process they did. I hope that plug doesn't gall in there. I used a torque wrench to spec (20 lb ft). Next time I may put a dab of anti seize on the cooler drain bolt. I don't like that setup at all from a maintenance standpoint.

#40 ·
It's more than a couple ounces but still not a lot. I forgot I moved the catch pan to the engine oil drain and then put a bucket under the cooler drain (then later I was looking at what was in the cooler drain bucket).

I wouldn't skip the oil cooler drain. If they put it there I think it's worth draining. Just have to be careful. Anybody with common sense should be OK.

I don't recall seeing the procedure in the manual. Manuals are available online if you want to check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.