SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Non-Oiled Air Filter?

17K views 70 replies 16 participants last post by  rayzazoo 
#1 ·
Are there any performance air filters out there not oiled for the HC?

#4 ·
: Aftermarket replacement dry air filters AEM 28-20460 or AFE Power 30-10220

#7 ·
Oiled filters leave residue on hot wire maf sensors degrading everything until cleaned which can be difficult. As a result of one bad event i wont use them again.

#9 ·
Have you ever bought a green filter, Hellcat 1 and a few others have them. they don't have hardly any oil on them. Also Arrington Performance out of Virginia works almost exclusively on Hemis and the last cold air intake I got from them on my last car a 2014 392 Core challenger came with a green filter. I guess what I'm saying if Arrington ships there cold air intakes with Green filters they can't be bad.
I use to get K&N in the past and you would pull them out of the plastic and you could feel oil all over not the Green filter my car runs fine. I think Rob M has one and Hellcat 1 there may be others.

#11 ·
The green ones sound pretty good, though at this point for me is the horsepower gained worth the potential hot wire residue-even with routine cleanings (and potential filtration issues).

Remember the MAF hotwire measures how much air is coming in as to make adjustment to supply fuel (though I don't know if WOT is a closed loop) and also wonder if it can (over time) put a residue on the SC blades, coating them and attracting debris to them. Or debris that slips past striking rotating blades at a bazillion rpms?

I just can't say it is worth the risk to me-even if minor because the effect could be subtle. On my LS1 I didn't notice it until the thing was really bad and caused a cough and rough idle at acceleration.

This is my first forced induction, and I do know they can be a little more sensitive to fueling-or lack there-of. In the past, a filter was the first thing I added to my cars. Just not today.

As always, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

#12 ·
WOT can NEVER be closed loop, nor is startup/warmup. Closed loop is when the system is attempting to get the car as close to the stoichiometric 14.7 AFR as possible. Basically light constant throttle with a reasonable (don't have details here) amount of load on the engine

#15 ·
Is there something wrong with the O.E.M. filter that is supplied by dodge? I have always believed that oem was the best quality available genuine mopar parts on my car only!!

#17 ·
but how much more flow do you get over the stock filter.. 1 cfm, 50cfm , 500 cfm, 1000??

what size micron of dirt does the aftermarket filter compared to stock?

why wouldn't dodge put a filter in from the factory with max flow on their brand new 2015 forced induction Hemi?

#31 · (Edited)
but how much more flow do you get over the stock filter.. 1 cfm, 50cfm , 500 cfm, 1000??

what size micron of dirt does the aftermarket filter compared to stock?

why wouldn't dodge put a filter in from the factory with max flow on their brand new 2015 forced induction Hemi?
This brings back memories of the other forum and air filter/air intake discussion.

Flow:
The stock filter meets the engine's requirements with a max flow of 731 CFM and a Hellcat engine required 675 CFM at 100% volumetric efficiency. That said, a less restrictive filter media is beneficial to performance, however, usually at the expense of dust filtration and increased maintenance. Less restriction (with good airflow management through the intake tube) doesn't require the engine to work as hard (usually this is why you'll see gains from on a dyno and an aftermarket, low restriction air intake setup; it's not that the filter gives you a performance boost, it's because the engine is requiring less work to ingest air and sometimes an increase in air volume that allows the engine computer to adjust air/fuel - specifically for MAF sensor setups). One example I used before is the straw example. Too small of a straw in a drink requires the person to put extra effort to drink vs less effort using a bigger straw.

Filtering:
Aftermarket filter benefits include improved dust holding capacity, however, % filtration efficiency needs to be equal to or better than stock for fine dust.

The % efficiency rating in the image below of each filter gives you an idea of how well they filter. There is course dust (larger) and find dust (smaller). As a general rule of thumb, performance and filtration can be seen as a sliding scale. The more you lean toward performance, the more you sacrifice with filtration and vice versa.

The other consideration is dust capacity. Comparatively, the stock filter has a lower dust capacity than most aftermarket filters, regardless of dust size. It is expected that aftermarket filters, as it catches more dust, will filter out finer dust progressively over time. This is one advantage to an aftermarket filter.

Oiled Filters:
A foreign object, whether it be engine oil blow-by, dust, dirt, or debris can mess up the accuracy of a MAF sensor. I don't think you'll have problems running an aftermarket oiled air filter/air intake so long as you properly maintain it. An oiled air filter can increase the risk to MAF sensor residue issues, not directly, but indirectly (think about how the purpose of the filter oil is to collect dust and debris; the oil residue collects on the MAF, the dust/debris collect on the residue etc) so, as a result, I think the response from SRT is more preventative in nature to recommend not using oiled filters.

#23 · (Edited)
The thing everybody is missing on the the Green filter vs stock is the Green dose not have to be cleaned until 50.000 mi and then REUSED over and over again therefor saving money and about 10 hp increase or more tests on the Hellcat have not been done yet. Why would Dodge put a filter in that they would probably never sell you again. Just like wipers, weathertech matts etc. There are always things that meet the manufactures specs but there are a lot of things out there that are better.
Also look at the new numbers for the Shelby GT 500 for 2015 base around $76k thats base. if you put the best of everything on the Hellcat it would be at least that. Thats why I love Dodge they only put whats needed to give us a kick a%^ car at a Impossable price for anybody else to accomplish and then there are those few things we do to make the Mopar better.:cool:
If anybody out there ever is going to put there car on the dyne, get the Green filter and do a run with and without, it will be nice to see the actual increase.

#20 ·
Think of it this way,, how come dodge did give us fatter ties for better traction,,, or CAI, or bigger rear end.. if the big three built every car to the best,, nothing better they could do, then the after market company's would be out of business,, plus, that would but the big three in a corner cause customers always want more,,, look at the gt500 started of with 550 hp, then a few years later then made it 662,, and if that's not enough, make it a super snake,, plus there are 1000s of after market parts for mustang and camaro..

#21 ·
but this is about oiled aftermarket filters which Dodge says DO NOT USE.. side by side how much does each filter flow? side by side how small a particle does each one filter out? that's what I want to know.

don't all aftermarket filter companies claim their filters flow the best? there has to be trade-offs for more flow like filtered particle size

#27 ·
if someone runs their air filter to 50k miles then clean it over n over i think that person is NUTZ.. and the 10hp increase is out the window since no tests have been done.. could be 20 could be zero

#56 ·
One request, anyone with a Hellcat.

Could someone take measurements of the interior intake tube diameter of the tube after the accordion section as well as the distance between throttle body and the end of the accordion section?

OK will do, what are you thinking? Heading out to garage to get you what you seek... Interested where your'e going?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.