SRT Hellcat Forum banner

NOWEEDS - Can't get anyone to install it? Do it your damn self!

15K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  Markp 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you may know by a couple of my posts on here, I've been looking for an exhaust shop to install my NOWEEDS exhaust diverter system to no avail. Either they were booked (even though they originally told me they don't do appointments :mad:) or they would only do the underneath part, no wiring. So today, I decided to tackle it myself. Although there were a few minor struggles during the install, it was SO worth it. You think the Hellcat sounds good stock? You ain't heard NOTHING yet!

Vehicle door Vehicle Car Auto part Trunk

Spent $15 on a set of plastic trim removal tools. They are worth 10 times that, easily. If you don't have a set, get one.

Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply Cable Machine

Picked up power off the back of the cigarette lighter.

Steering part Hand Auto part Steering wheel Finger

Used a 3/4" bit to drill out for the rocker switch. Still had to ream it slightly and then cut a tiny notch for the nub on the switch so it would lock into place. I chose this switch type instead of the under-the-seat option for ease of use. It's tough reaching under the seat while driving.

Auto part Automotive lighting Suspension Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Switch wired and the shifter is ready to go back in.

Automotive exhaust Bumper Exhaust system Automotive exterior Carbon

The instructions reference the "bend mark" on the pipes as to where to cut it. I had a pronounced one on the drivers side but absolutely none on the passenger side. I simply measured and lined it up with the drivers side.

Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior

Factory pipes out and heat shield installed. The heat shield was a little tough to line up on the rear side. Had to force it to the right pretty hard to get the rivet in. I'll have to check it occasionally to make sure it's holding in place.

Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Pipe Muffler

In and ready to wire. A couple notes here: I had one hell of a time getting the rear connection in on the passenger side. Even after using a screwdriver to spread the factory pipe at the slots, it wouldn't go in. Finally did a little research and WD-40 was recommended. Sprayed just a touch on it, got it started, and then used a block of wood and a hammer and got it in. One thing bothered me, if I had driven the rear connection all the way in, it would have had a pretty good gap at the front connection, on both sides. I ended up with about a 1/2" or so gap on the front and about 1-1/2" of insertion on the rear prior to installing the clamps. It's not leaking, but I thought it would have been a closer fit. I'll have to monitor it and maybe think about welding it at some point.

Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Auto part Pipe Muffler

Done and done. You lose about an inch and a half of clearance so I'll have to be careful going over speed bumps.

It sounds SO good! All in all, I would say the install isn't bad. The only things I didn't like were the gap in the pipes but mainly, you're left to your own devices to try to find a good routing for the wires from the passenger side. The wire that's connected to the passenger side actuator reaches about halfway across the car after running it under the heat shield. I ended up taking the drivers side wires as well as the power wires into the middle of the car to meet the passenger side and plugging everything in there. Then you have to find a place to tie-wrap the connections in place. I tied mine to the back side of the transmission cross member. Again, something else I'll have to monitor to make sure they're holding up ok.

I'm glad I finally got mine installed! It was worth the struggle. Did this by myself with the rear wheels on ramps and the front end on jack stands. It was raining but there was no way I couldn't take it for a spin. When you hit the gas, it'll vibrate your head with the windows shut! I've never ridden in a NASCAR car, but I've been to a few races and I'm betting that's what it sounds like! I'll gladly answer any questions if anyone has any. Thanks for reading!

See less See more
1 8
#4 ·
No loss of power at all that I can tell. It actually seemed to pull harder, but that might have been a product of the auditory orgasm...:D:D

#6 · (Edited)
Sounds great!

Adds new meaning to the term WOT! WOT&E

(edit) No better help than self help!

Great job and thanks for posting pics!

Reactions: WindowShaker
#12 ·
I definitely don't claim to have any extraordinary knowledge but I can follow directions well...although my 3 ex-wives might disagree. :D

One more note, I had taken my car into the dealer for its annual inspection on Saturday and asked the tech about the best way to remove the center console and he printed out a couple pages from their online manual that was SUPER helpful. That was honestly my biggest concern. I didn't want to damage the interior of a $70k car!

#10 ·
I installed mine about a month ago, I love the sound but only for a short time real hard on your ears!!!!! I did the remote and that I love. not a bad install but a pain in the ass when your old,fat,and its on jack stands lol. and I swear it feels that it pulls harder but like the op said might be just in my head. i would love to dyno to find out.

#11 ·
Can I ask how much gap you ended up with at the front connection of the pipes, if any? I cut mine where it said to cut them, so I followed the directions to a T.

#13 ·
so like on yours only one side had the cut mark, had to wing it on the other side but really no biggie.as far as fitment sliding the pipe into the rear pipe was and is tight I would of liked it in farther but because of that I didn't have any gap.OH by the way varoom varoom. lol

#14 ·
Yeah if I'd closed the gap completely, I wouldn't have been comfortable with how much was inserted in the back. I know they can't fall out with the way they are so I'm good with it.

#20 ·
the first person that says hemis need backpressure well, just dont say it because itll prove you know nothing about engines

nice job on the install!

#22 ·
Mine being shipped the end of the week and booked my fitters for 16th April. Cant wait.

Sounds great by the way.

#27 ·
That sounds insane...I can't imagine how loud that must be in person!!!

#33 ·
That's the beauty of this system. When they're closed, it's stock. You control your noise. Honestly, I will only open them on occasion. Probably less than 5% of the time. It's all for the fun of having them.

#35 ·
You're damn right! Now I can really live up to my name! :D

#37 ·
Not yet that I've noticed. Planning on going underneath this weekend to do a check on everything. I'll let you know!

#40 ·
Thanks, I appreciate that. So, I am assuming you had to make 4 cuts - 2 for each side. What kind of "clamps" did the kit come with? Did they seem to seal up decent when you tightened the clamps? Would you be able to snap a picture of a clamp so I can see how it looks?
These pics aren't the best, but hopefully they'll give you an idea on the clamps.

Pipe Metal Vehicle Steel

Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Auto part Vehicle Pipe

Reactions: peaksv
#42 ·
The only thing I've noticed is when I haven't opened them up in a while, I can hear a slight noise when I first hit the switch, like they're "breaking the seal" when they first start moving.

#48 ·
I did mine on Tues, did all of the wiring one day and mounted the diverters yesterday
Wow ......are they nice, neighbors going to hate me :)
Wiring was better part of an hour or so, and about 1 1/2 hour for diverters ( did them on my back with jack stands )
Well worth the pain and effort !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.