NT555 G2 vs Pirelli PZERO (be honest)

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Tire God 2.0, May 10, 2016.

1. Tire God 2.0

Tire God 2.0 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am seeing alot of guys getting the G2 and telling everyone they are better than the PZero. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That being said, here is mine. I think that everyone should hold off on the reviews as far as overall performance and wear until you wear through the set. "They handle way better then the Pirelli". Yeah of course, they were bald when you replaced them. A lot of people tend to forget that part lol. Now from my point of view and personal experience with guys who race for a living, the Pirelli should perform better than the G2 in every aspect, except maybe tire wear. A few reasons.
    1: The G2 has alot more grooves, sipes and tall tread blocks. That means less contact patch.
    2: The tread wear rating is 100pts higher than the Pzero. The lower tread wear rating means the compound is more sticky and provides better traction.
    3: The speed rating is lower. While this generally doesn't impact lateral or straight line traction, tires that have higher speed ratings tend to have reinforced shoulders and such, which give the tires more instant steering response and overall better handling caracteristics.
    4: The track tests that have been done show the PZero right with the Michelin Super sports. I know for a fact that Nitto didn't just create a Godlike tire out of nowhere. I had traction problems with the old NT555 on my 250whp VW GTI years ago.
    That being said, are they bad tires? No. They are great tires for the price. Keep in mind you get what you pay for. Also it is recommended to stay with the speed rating that the vehicle manufacturer recommends.
    I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying the G2, nor am I trying to upset any of the guys that have already purchased them. I'm just giving info that will hopefully help. Also I would really like to see some track results (road course and drag strip) between the two tires. And also an official review with a professional driver on a track, testing wet and dry traction ect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. CatHerder

CatHerder SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
  3. CatHerder

CatHerder SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
  4. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The PZeros are world class and used regularly by racers. The Nitto's are cheaper. Two tough track days on my PZero's now, I am confident they will still be around for the five remaining days scheduled this year. Yes they squeal at the limits of adhesion, it is normal and gives good audio feedback. But, at our course as I approach 160 every two minutes, I worry about lots of my components, but have full confidence in my Pirellis.

Are better things out there? Yes! But, I will be going to a competition set, BUT just for racing. For a good balance on the street, follow the Tire God's advice for balance of wear, safety and function.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've always read that tread wear ratings are only comparable within a manufacturer to compare one tire model to another but you cannot compare wear ratings across brands. Have to see if I can find the source but it's something I read many years ago.

6. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    they still say this. Ive read it on several tire sites recently. That being said, You can still make the link that a 100 rated tire from XXX will still be stickier and wear faster than a 400 rated tire from YYY

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Treadwear ratings are a good indication of tire life and performance. But yes the treadwear rating is not uniform across the board. But it's close. A good year with a 500 might be the same as a Hankook that has a 480. But the SCCA rulebook states for national events, tires must have a treadwear rating of 200+. They go by treadwear ratings even though they understand a Bridgestone RE71-R is probably a 150 treadwear instead of 200 when compared to others. It's a good number to use but can't be used only, unless it's two tires from the same manufacturer. But usually it's within 20-50pts difference comparison wise. Not a huge difference.

8. GiveEmHell

GiveEmHell Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I wonder if it has something to do with many folks seeming to be getting the G2's in a wider width than the stock PZeros, and them feeling that it grabs better? ( I have no idea, just theorizing)
    I know that the stock all-season tires mine came with break free a little too easily for my comfort. I have G2s going on this weekend because I was looking for a summer tire for street driving that would hopefully give me some better traction and still perform well in the rain. Unlike most on here, I just went with the stock size 275/40/20 on the G2s. I am looking forward to seeing if I can notice a difference.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do some of the HC come with all season tires? I was not aware.

10. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, standard tire is the PZero Nero.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    y
    yes mine did. they were horrible for traction. almost deadly

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow I thought they all came with the pzero summer tires. I guess it depends where you live. I wouldn't drive on an all season tire with that car lmao. That's dangerous unless it's winter time.

13. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    P Zero Nero all season tires are the "Standard" tire on the HellCat. The P Zero is the optional summer tire offered at an up charge. The vehicle drives just fine with the Nero's.......just won't give you as much traction in a track environment. Guess Dodge / FCA feels the Nero's aren't dangerous on these vehicles since they send them out as the standard tire.

14. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The pzero Nero all season is what came on the old V6 and gt mustangs from like 05 till 2012. Don't know why they would choose those for a car with 3x the power haha.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat