Observations from my 1,400 mile round trip journey

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by rgigowski, Apr 27, 2016.

1. rgigowski

rgigowski SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Headed from Dallas, TX to Santa Fe, NM for a weekend journey and noticed a few things I thought I would share.

First off, I am blown away about how easy my Challenger handles. The ability to pass when you need to is just amazing... far exceeds my Ford Lightning which is no slouch.

OCTANE... or lack of octane would be better put. Here in Dallas, no trouble finding the good stuff 93 at the pump. However... while heading to the panhandle I noticed the lack of decent fuel. First indication was 91 octane and then I couldn't find anything better than 90. Our Cat's don't like that stuff was soon found out. o knocking or anything and I am sure the PCM adjusted fine for the lower octane rating but man, throttle response was totally different and I would imagine the altitude played into that as well. As we came back into Dallas and was able to get 93 octane, it was like I just had a tune installed.

Eco mode verses non-eco mode... okay, my mileage was outstanding in my opinion. Blew my Lightning away with a highway at best of maybe 15. My Ford Edge, V6, gets 21 on the highway and as little as 16 in the city. My Cat got 23.8 at one point (over the course of about 200+ miles) and I averaged no less than 22 during the entire trip. Okay, for the most part that was in Eco mode... boring. Later on I turned the eco off and I was surprised to see an average of 21+ for the balance of leg.

Conclusion... eco mode does work and if ya don't like that, gently feather the throttle and get dang close to it.

As for the good news... back in Dallas and down to 12 MPG as it should be since I am getting in to it again.

I attached a print screen from my tracking app to show the mileage @ 23.69... oddly the computer never matched the calculation.

wp_ss_20160426_0001.png

• Useful Useful x 3
  2. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Awesome write up. I get frequent 250 to 400 mi interstate runs and in 8th at 80 on cruise can avg 21 mpg.

But when you floor it, it's A Beast!

Enjoy your new ride!

3. NMCAT

NMCAT SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the info. Hope you enjoyed NM. I agree higher than 91 is almost impossible to find around here. Actually I haven't found any and would like to see the difference running it.

4. USAFPILOT

USAFPILOT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    there is an eco mode?!

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. rgigowski

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I used to take my Lightning to ABQ all the time and would carry bottles of Octane Boost. The Lightning doesn't have knock sensors so it was insurance in case I got a heavy foot and forgot about the octane being lower.

6. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Awesome to hear

7. rslawle

rslawle Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    hmmm....I got 26.7mpg (no eco) in Charger Hellcat on trip to Omaha from San Antonio. Avg speed was 70mph (although pic indicates only 58mph). The curvature of the earth and pure air of Oklahoma and Kansas must be why.... :)

It drops to 22-23mpg when on I10 in west Texas doing the 85mph speed limit.

Moral of story....best of both worlds. Comfortable....good gas mileage...700+hp. The ultimate road trip vehicle....

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am shocked you guys in that oil rich area cannot find good gas??? Every pump here in Mass has 93 octane even the no name stations. Are the gas stations still no pavement dirt ground as well?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. rgigowski

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am shacked too. In the Dallas area I can pretty much get what I want. Oddly, for those with E85 tunes, nothing on the highway.

There's a guy in the Dallas area with 1,400hp Caddy E85... guess if you have that then you drive something else on a road trip but I couldn't resist taking the Cat.

I was amazed at the difference in performance with 90 octane verses 93.

10. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am shocked at a few of the fuel prices on your print screen! $2.70 is high. Here in South Florida we are at $2.49 for 93 and that is high. We have been around $2.29 for a long time.

11. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 93 octane was $2.7x two weeks ago here in the land of 10,000 taxes and some lakes, I bet we are at three dollars per gallon now, don't want to look.

12. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Im in Arkansas. 93 is all over the place. in fact I can get ethanol free 93 too. At $2.50 a gallon or so

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow, those are low prices. We're paying the equivalent to $2.46 US/gallon for 87 octane (91 oct at about $2.71/gallon), at least that's the cheapest I can find at the moment. Most common. nd most expensive 91 oct runs around $3.52/gallon ($1.199/litre) Around here we have the Husky/PetroCanada 94 oct, but it contains 10+% ethanol. Otherwise the best non-ethanol we can find is 91.

14. Dr Hfuhruhurr

Dr Hfuhruhurr SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What tracking app is that screencap from?

15. rgigowski

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thought I would toss in a couple pics to help with the post... dog sleeping with his head in lap and hind end in the back seat... yes those are dog boots on him to protect the leather and surfaces... dog photo bombing a pic of the wife and car, plus pic of my wife with awesome scenery in the background... and foreground!

WP_20160426_12_47_02_Pro.jpg WP_20160425_10_39_36_Pro.jpg WP_20160425_10_39_25_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1