SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Octane booster

13K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  R3dk3y 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I'm in california so the most I can get is 91 octane, what do you think about boosters?

I bought some of the lucas oil stuff but i'm yet to try it, has anyone tried it is it worth it especially once you start modding?

thanks

Kim

#2 ·
In an emergency, and with only 87 or 89 octane fuel available, I MIGHT use an octane booster. Otherwise I would never recommend it, and especially not when considering modding your car. Stick with the 91, or buy some race fuel (to be added as an octane booster).

#12 ·
#9 · (Edited)
To each their own. Many products out there are --- Worthless! But there are a few which warrant merit a TRY for yourself --- to SEE for yourself, IF they fulfill your motoring needs. My prior conversations with my last call to Mopar Performance Group was as follows: Hello Guys, We have been reduced to 91 octane fuel (only) here in the northern mid-west. YUP! We know about it. Have you heard about Lucas? Smile on my face -- Yes I have! Does it Work??? Their reply - ABSOLUTELY! Well their answer was a positive for me to at least give it a try. To my amazement ---- IT WORK's WELL! So Well it has become a balanced diet for my Hellcat for when I cannot get QUALITY branded fuel in the area's I travel! I always have 3-4 bottles with me ---- Just in case! :)

Another interesting article --- 5 Best Octane Boosters and Additives 2016 - MyCarNeedsThis

#10 ·
Page 452 of the owners manual:

•The use of fuel additives, which are now being sold as octane enhancers, is not recommended. Most of these products contain high concentrations of methanol. Fuel system damage or vehicle performance problems resulting from the use of such fuels or additives is not the responsibility of the manufacturer and may void or not be covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

#13 ·
Per your statement ---- Mopar Performance Group, Lucas Oil products, Shell, BP, Mobil and other TOP Tier producers I have personally spoken with -- Do NOT know WHAT they are talking about with their products???? :eek: I too have read the owners manual(cover to cover) and SPENT many hours discussing the fuel quality issues with MANY who PRODUCE the very products that are being condemned. I am sure that FCA knows FULL WELL of the fuel quality issues that exist and the fixes for it! Until they (the producers of fuel products) are Sued over producing inferior products and causing DAMAGE due to the usage of their Products???? o_O I will continue to use Lucas Oil Products as necessary to correct my fuel problems to HELP protect this ride! :)

#16 ·
ONLY when I cannot obtain a true branded 93 octane. Shell - BP or Mobil. All three have gone to 91 Clear. Kwik-Trip here is a 91 clear octane but a noticeable difference when running it! Lucas products have HELPED with that brand and enhance the others!(Performance and mileage!)We also have US Oil, a MAJOR distributor here that I have spent much time with being educated to WHAT is going on with fuel quality with each of the so-called branded fuel's. Quite an education as to the reality versus the Advertising of the brands. o_O Take the time and Call your distributor in your area, find out the facts! :) Especially WHERE the fuel is being piped from and to? The additives and HOW much is being used to call themselves the BRAND they are? The branded fuel shipped from their refinery is NOT Always their produced fuel in their fuel station tanks! :oops:

#18 ·
I just had this conversation yesterday at a car show. We only have 90 here, car runs fine, tried a tank with octane booster and honestly, not that you'd be able to tell, but no difference. Guy said don't use it. Modern cars today can run just fine and since I'm not racing at the track, it should make no difference. Anyway, I'll just stick with my 90 and if I got to the track add some AV gas.

#19 ·
That's Great you have good quality fuel in Alaska and your Cat runs well on it! But check with your local distributor on the additives that are in your 90 octane fuel. As to aviation fuel??? You mean 100 LL - LOW LEAD fuel? NO cats on the Beechs - Cessna's or Pipers I have flown! We ran that 40 + years ago when there were NO cats to be concerned about and we could not get Sunoco 110 Clear! :D

#23 ·
oh i remember those good old days driving down to torrance airport and getting 5 gallons of av gas for the cuda....... oh ya! good times!

#24 ·
And Clark LEADED Premium was 26 Cents per gallon ---- 22 cents per when the gas wars were on! :cool: And no one cared How Much 100LL AV fuel you used!! :eek: And the fuel jocks pumped it for you -- Cleaned ALL your windows --Checked your oil and Aired your tires!! Gave you Green Stamps and even Glassware sets for a 20 gallon fill-up ------- ALL with a Smile and a THANKYOU!!! :cool: YES! ------ they were the GOOD OLE DAYS! --- Circa 1967 :D

#27 ·
It doesn't seem worth adding race fuel, $20 a tank is too steep I think, I daily drive mine and a tank only lasts a few days as it is. I'd rather just stick with 91 at that point. It is interesting that the lucas booster can be used as a reliable stabilizer though.

hopefully one day California will get more e85

#28 ·
Might think about investing in something to data log. In expensive options exist. You get the benefit of capuring data that can be quite the eye opener when you look at gas options, adds etc. Which compliments (really can benefit) your goals. Same applies for fuel.

#34 ·
I ran Boostane in my 2012 Charger during the summer months. I had a Whipple supercharger on it. It allowed for full timing, and zero knock with half a can per fill up. At $27 per quart, it is expensive, but it does work. You can check it out at BOOSTane | Octane Booster | Race Fuel. Here's my plugs after about 15-20k miles of running it. I just pull the Iridium plugs, clean and put back in. I have not run it in my Hellcat, as it seems to do a better job intercooler wise, and I don't have the knock issues. I was more paranoid in the stock 2012 Charger, with stock internals running boost.

Spark plug Auto part Automotive ignition part Automotive engine part Cylinder

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.