Oh goodie...even Discount Tire can't handle tire mounting

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Hubbs, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just had 275/40 DR's installed on the 'Cat. I went to Discount Tire to have the work done thinking this is all they do, they have to be good at it. HA!

I was very careful to make sure they knew the wheels awere perfect and I didn't want them dinged up. I also brought them a plastic-covered socket to use since few shops have them. Well, they slapped the tires on using the metal bar with no plastic cover (according to manager, it's standard to use the plastic protector). I get the car back with several light scratches and lots of chips and dings all the way around the lips of both wheels. One "ding" is a 1/4" long by 1/8" wide.

I talk to the guy that wrote up the work about it and the initial reaction is, "that damage was already there." Then he added, "Well, I didn't do a full inspection on it." Note: He came out and did a full inspection before we wrote up the job. Wow.

I get the manager and show him the damage. He agrees immedaitely that they did it and will repair the wheels. We have to go back on Friday morning and probably leave the car overnight. Hmmm...

I didn't go the the dealer because I didn't really want to have a formal documentation that DR's are on the car. ;)

2. Billet Hellcat

Billet Hellcat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I used Americas tires to do my Triumph wheels I told them they were $8000 and I only wanted the touch less machine only one guy uses that machine and he did a perfect job.

So Then I take my 2010 Ram 8" lift 37" tires 22"x10,5 BMF wheels to have a valve stem replaced they gouged my rim I was :mad: told them I had the truck for 5 yrs no damage so they had to buy me a new wheel o_O

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad you got a new wheel. Accidents happen, but stupidity, ignorance and carelessness aren't good excuses.

I have to ask...not trying to be rude or sarcastic, but why would anyone need or pay for $8000 wheels? Unless your name is Gates or Winfrey I guess. :D

4. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mr.GS read this

5. Mr.GS

Mr.GS Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes overnight stay = ferris buhler's day off. You have to stand over mechanics...don't care.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Billet Hellcat

Billet Hellcat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No I did not pay 8k I told them that to scare the crap out of them so they would not damage my wheels :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^ HA, well Mr. Gates, you darn near gave Bismarck that much for those beauties on that Hellcat.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. MaxxMuscle

MaxxMuscle Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^ And they are worth every penny that the Biz charges :D.I get more people looking at the rims then the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    not many places are good with large wheels and lo pro tires.

I am fortunate to have a friend that can mount up for me but its a limited use type thing.

10. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Im wondering what I am going to do when the P-zero's are done (won't be long). I have some good tire shops around that I have done business with but BIG difference buying tires for my Ford E-250 POS work van than my Hellcat. I have watched these guys put tires on and I just don't trust anyone.
    Would the dealer be a better choice? My Ford dealer has this thing about matching any local tire price but am kinda new to Mopar.
    Will a Dodge dealer mount Tire Rack etc tires? Does anyone know? I just think I may have a better chance of a dealer standing behind damaged rims than my local good old boy tire shops?

11. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would rate my own post funny but I can't. I want you and Billet to know I was making a joke to be funny. For those who don't know the inside story, I have the same set of wheels only even a more expensive color. Billet turned me on to Triumph. Where is Gates and Trump when a guy needs a few thou?

12. MaxxMuscle

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    HaHa....No worries DGatzby,I knew exactly what u meant bro.

13. MaxxMuscle

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just make sure they have the Hunter tire installer and balancer Soundman and u will be good.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm on my 3rd pair of rear tires. 1st swap out was done at dealer - good work, no damage. I like having it done there figuring if they ruin the wheels, it should be really easy to repace them. The 2nd swap was this time at Discount...and only because they were DR's.

15. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With how common low profile tires are, wouldn't you think everyone would be good at it by now? It's also not like these are 275/20s. I wonder how those super low profile tires get mounted without damaging wheels.