Oh that shine

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by SRT_HC_707, Apr 25, 2015.

1. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This detail and Hellcat related. In the photo below I'm taking a picture of the side of my Carbon Black Metallic BMW 750Li x-drive M sport... The Hellcat is 30 feet away in the reflection of the BMW.

This is the daily driver and every spring it gets I give it an uber detail.

• Washed car
    • Iron-X
    • Nano skin wipe (instead of clay)
    • Polished the entire car twice with Menzerna polishes
    • Wipe entire car down with 15% IPA (isopropyl alcohol and distilled water mix) to remove any residual oils etc
    • Applied Optimum Polymers Gloss Coat
    • Windshield done with Opti Glass coat
    • Tires done with Opti tire gel
    The Opti Gloss Coat is an unbelievable product. With regular washing of the car it will probably last 2 years (not sure if they claim that but this is my experience).. This stuff comes in a syringe with only 10cc's of product. You use VERY little, wipe it on, let it flash, knock off any high spots if necessary (hazey spots) and move on.

The 750Li is the long wheel base whale. The car is huge. I was able to do the entire car (all sheetmetal, rubber and plastic trim, every window except for the windshield and the wheels) with about 6cc's of product.

The car looks UNREAL up close. Carbon Black Metallic is a trick color that flips between a deep purple blue and black. It has an unreal pop now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No color correction needed right? Made me a believer now. I love this and wish we could share garages, more me moving into yours though bro

3. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When you say not color correction needed did you mean 'paint correction'. It did need paint correction. Just some marring and stuff from a long hard winter but nothing crazy. The Mezenera steps was the actually polishing to do the paint correction.

I actually have enough left over so I'm going to put a second coat on later today... Might as well finish off the syringe (have to wash the Hellcat first LOL).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    wish you were here to do my hellcat's paint and coat!

5. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Drive it up... We can do it together. It's only 1700 miles or so each way....

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here is a shot of the car outside. It was rather grey and cloudy (WTF is Spring!!!!). Posting this up not for the car but rather to show of the Opti Gloss Coat on the finish! The shine is really from the polishing steps... The gloss, depth and wet look is all Opti Gloss Coat. There are two coats on the car and I probably have about 2 cc of product left in the vial. Next time I remove the wheels I use up the remainder giving the wheels a third coat. Makes the wheels much easier to clean. Pretty amazing for $59 worth of Opti Gloss Coat which like I said will probably last two years.

By the way... The windows on this car are tinted with 3M Crystalline 40. I prefer tints on the lighter side for better visibility but this stuff outperforms limo tint (the also have darker versions of this). It's 220 micro layers of product in one sheet. I plan on doing my Hellcat with the same exact tint hopefully this summer.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Dang that's nice

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks... Not bad for a 2012 is it!

9. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    When you wiped it down with 15% alcohol how much distilled water in the bucket?

10. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When you get to the IPA wipe you have already removed all wax etc.. The paint is super clean and polished. The IPA is just to remove any residual oils from the polishing compounds so the last step product (Opti Gloss Coat in this case) is bonding to the clear coat not oils which will get washed away when you wash the car.

Take a 32 ounce spray bottle (if you don't have any Home Depot sells ZEP bottles in the cleaning products isle and they work great). Mix up distilled water (85%) and Isopropyl alcohol (15%). Mist some on a clean microfiber, spray one panel well (wet it good). Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it with a damp microfiber followed up by a dry microfiber.

The distilled water will make sure you don't get any water spots...

If you want to try the Opti coat I would go with Opti Seal first. Opti Seal is similar to Opt Gloss Coat but much easier to use. Opti Seal you mist on a pad and wipe lightly in two directions. It will flash off and you are done. Any hazey spots means you put to much on and you wipe down with a slightly dampened microfiber. Gives you a look almost as good as the Gloss Coat but it only lasts about a month (but it's so easy to do).

The Opti Gloss Coat is easy to use (just like this) BUT if you put to much on (and most do until you learn how to use this stuff -- I've been using it for close to 15 years so I have the technique down) and don't wipe down any high spots (haze) before it drys you have to BUFF it off.

I'm a total fanboy of Opti Products. If you want to try this stuff let me know and I can give you some specific suggestions of what to try first time out. The product line is geared toward professionals but it is super easy to work with and gives great results. Less is more with this stuff.

11. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I will pm you when it's time

12. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That Beemer looks awesome, wish I could get my M45 looking that good !! So easy to get water spots in FL and Infiniti paint is a bugger to work with :(

I've been using Klasse for a while now & it goes on the same way. Use too much & it's a bear to get off, amazing how far just a few dabs goes !

Which Nano Skin product are you using instead of clay ??

13. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I go back and forth to FL and the water here is just as bad. I've got about 800PPM of total dissolved solids in my well water here. Great for drinking but not for washing LOL.

I used Klasse for years (don't anymore but only because I prefer the Optimum stuff). Good stuff. I've used both AIO and the SG. I alway say if you have a product you like and it works for you stick with it...

I only recently started using the Nanoskin towel (link below). I've always clayed and I like the clay process. The Nano skin does work and is a bit faster. Also if you drop it you can clean it (unlike clay). If I was a detailer concerned with time the Nanoskin is faster (time is money). I've found that out of the package it is way too aggressive and scratches the paint. Some say to break it in on the glass to wear the nanoskin in a bit. I was polishing anyway so I didn't freak out. Now that I've worn it in a bit, I like it but again I see no issue with sticking with clay. I'm on the fence with it. I have the towel now but if you are good with clay I see no reason to switch.

This is what I'm using Amazon.com Nanoskin AS-009 AutoScrub 12 x 12 Fine Grade Towel Automotive

14. CatBurghlr

CatBurghlr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My back hurts just thinking about doing the first step.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I never knew about the two-bucket system until a couple years back - well worth the effort and a MUST on a dark car (to minimize swirls).

Dated someone with a brand new VW Passat - black - and within three months she made it look ten years old. Muddy wash bucket and/or drive through washes.