Oil analysis after first oil change 1750 miles

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by nkdave, Sep 10, 2015.

1. nkdave

nkdave Sublime, black hood, M6

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I did my first oil change at 1750 miles. I sent the sample to Blackstone $25. I'm not sure if I like the response they sent me. Kinda wished I changed it a little sooner now.

2. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are those values in ppm (parts per million)?

3. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes they are parts per million.

4. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just read the 'Comments' section. That's your summary from an oil diagnostic pro. If he says don't worry, then don't worry. Engine break in always has more crap than after 10k miles. You're all good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    nkdave is your car stock inside the engine bay, and how do you drive oe do you get on it often? Is your air filter stock? While your report does have things that don't seem to trend others I've seen, having answers to those questions might explain some. Was the oil the factory fill?

For example I'm intrigued by the viscosity measures. That's off compared to others who have tested wit similar mileage. Silicon I've routinely seen that go up with after market air filters (besides what they reported.)

Thanks for sharing man.

6. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Unless you are running a fleet of identical vehicles, and can build up historical data and compare to other vehicles in the fleet, and/or you are willing to do the analysis on a regular periodic schedule, IMHO doing an occasional oil analysis does little more than provide a little entertainment / satisfies idle curiosity.

What actions is a person going to take, based on a one-time or occasional oil analysis?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'll be doing mine between 4600-4700 miles within two weeks. It goes to the shop to replace the front bumper for the defect, then a few days later ill take it for an oil change when i have the blackstone kit.

To either prove its a waste of money to change so early, or to prove its worth to change it early and the SRT engineers are wrong.

8. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They even told you not to be alarmed, this is perfectly normal. I changed mine at 1000 miles for this reason, and will again next week before I hit 5,000 miles.

Why do you still have your lip spoiler protectors on the car? Do you drive it like that? LOL

9. CubeMan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A bunch of us still do it, people think it looks cool. I know people at shows think it adds to the car

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey TallCool1,

My car is total stock. I get on it all the time, that's why I bought it. I followed the break in to the "T". I was hoping others would post their results so we all had something to compare it to. It's the best way to get a trend on these bad ass engines. I plan on changing my oil every 3000 miles, and doing an analysis each time. I'm not sure if I will stick with Pennzoil or change to Moble. I need to figure out a way to document the oil changes so it satisfies the warranty. I bought an extended warranty and it clearly states the oil changes must be documented. Since I do them myself, I figure having an oil sample done each time should suffice.

11. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I like the look of the splitter guards. I've had my car break down once and had to have it put on the back of a truck. I was very thankful the guards were on for that ride! I'll take them off someday, but for now I'm trying to keep my cat in perfect condition.

12. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Personally I think there should be a thread that we all post the findings of our oil analysis. What a great way to monitor these engines by sharing our results. It could be a big help to Dodge too. I plan on doing an analysis every oil change, $25 is cheap. It will help me keep a record that I changed the oil on regular intervals for my warranty. The recommendation in the manual is 6000 miles or 6 months. There is no way I'll be driving my car 6000 miles in 6 months. So my car oil changes will be decided on the 6 month cycle, not mileage.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    One way to document is in fca dodge owner connect, you can input there then fca has it on record. Just retain a print or something your side too.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. nkdave

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you. I'm not familiar with fca Dodge owner connect. I'll have to do some research on it.

15. CubeMan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your literally cutting the oils lifespan in half, You aren't protecting your motor any more by changing at 3k compared to near 5-6k (Where 7.5k is the recommendation for changing oil)

• Agree Agree x 1