oil catch can comparison review needed

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by gjs620, Aug 11, 2015.

1. gjs620

gjs620 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Saw a great catch can hands on review video the other day but cant locate it now. Showed 3 different catch cans. And compared amount of oil that pulled through the can. Anyone seen this?

2. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Is this it? I had a passenger side set up on my 2014 Shelby GT500. Was a great piece with braided hoses and AN fittings. Still have the second one I got for the drivers side even though everyone said it is not needed. Thought I'd be better safe than sorry.

will see if I can get it to hook up to my Hellcat. I need to find a bracket that'll fit both.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Nice thanks!

4. gjs620

gjs620 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thx exactly what i was looking for…

5. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Bob's doesn't make one for a hellcat yet

6. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not sure if there is more, but I think the 3 that work with the CAT are from Speedlogix, Billet tech and JLT.

7. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Moroso makes a nice one WITH a drain on the bottom. Ive used two on my RT's and just ordered another for the hellcat

moroso 85472

8. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Lots of issues with this test...it certainly doesn't represent normal operations. Just a sales gimmic

To start with... a spray bottle of cold oil into a compressed air stream doesn't represent warm vaporized oil coming from engine. Pressures and volumes are different. This demo also shows dumping ounces of oil into the oil catch can in a very short timeline.
    Basically the spray bottle mist (no vapor) becomes an oil stream by the time it enters this test jig. If you want to verify, take a spray bottle and shoot it thru a narrow diameter hose and what what happens to the so called "spray" as it drips from the end. So at the bottom of the hose there is also a 90 degree coupling further degrading the test conditions. Realize now that at the connection, there is a solid oil stream is being pushed into the oil catch can by the air pressure. So what is being shown is how well these systems handle solid oil stream feeding into the oil catch can not blow by vapor coming off the engine.

Use caution...YMMV and likely your results

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Speedlogix Sales

Speedlogix Sales Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
  10. Speedlogix Sales

Speedlogix Sales Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    [​IMG]
    62k vs. 50k miles
    No Catch Can vs. Catch Can

Not from a Hellcat, but its a great picture.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree with you, plus I hate the music :eek: Was trying to help out the OP who was searching for this vid. Your points are great and appreciate your post.

From personal experience, had a Bob's on my Shelby and it worked great. They don't have a Hellcat solution and have not replied to e-mails asking fitment info. Not happy with their lack of customer service, especially since I did purchase 2 cans with braided hoses and upgraded AN fittings in the recent past...wasn't cheap.

I'm reading up and trying to understand the engineering in the different Hellcat options so I can make an educated decision. Even though the cans look alike externally the internal designs appear different and that's where it counts. Add the mounting options and forum member comments and it gets confusing. Can be tough working through unbiased experience and brand loyalty.

12. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

And as you see above, other vendors are willing to raise their hand and scream pick me, pick me!

I believe in function over fashion. Basic design needs to have a way to collect oil vapor into a liquid and then keep the liquid out of the outbound side. So something with a chamber makes sense along with some type of media, but so does keeping the can cool. Longer hoses allow the vaporized air temp to cool which almost allows the oil vapor to become a liquid on it's own. I had a junk oil catch can (no chambers or media inside) and it captured a ton of oil based mostly on hose length allowing the vapor to cool on its way to the can. Droplets of oil in, clean air out. So while the polished billet or powered coated engine mount cans are fashionable, a fender mount has proven to be effective (evidence by a clean throttle body). So keeping the can cooler is a factor. Mounting it to the engine especially with an good heat conductor such as aluminum mount won't help its efficiency.

There are a lot of different models out there. Some have high fashion mounting, some are just functional but in the end looks don't do the work. I'll leave my choice out of this discussion but I'm thinking about relocating from the engine mount to a fender mount knowing that the added hose length make any oil catch can more efficient.

13. greenwithenvy

greenwithenvy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I agree 100%. So many people look at form over function. They will all do something, so if you look at something is better than nothing then it doesn't matter. If you want to actually find the best solution, that is a real challenge. If you just look at Bernoulli's principle and the cooling effect of the air/oil it would scream not to put the can on top of a hot engine. I am struggling to find enough detailed engineering details in any of cans to be satisfied enough to plunk my money down. I will keep looking though and I will find the answer....

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would recommend measuring the PCV lines inside diameter on the Hellcat (I believe they are 3/8" to 1/2" inch lines) and making sure that the same is applicable for the catch can lines and fittings.

• Like Like x 1
  15. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was considering a Speedlogix catch can. I had questions so I sent a message via this forum as well as I used the "contact us" on the Speedlogix website last week with these questions below. I never received a response. With that in mind, I have decided to go with another brand but thought my questions may still be relevant.

Q1) I would like to know with your new mount will it leave a scar in my super charger when / if removed?
    Q2) your mount is at an angle to the SC, will it works mounted straight on and not at an angle?
    one thing I like about the JTL can is the hoses came attached to the can and plug n play with the correct ends ( clips) so in a perfect world with out my fit issues I would have had to simply unplug the stock hose and install and could revert back to stock easy.
    Q3) Is this the case with your product? Are the ends of the hoses connected etc for EZ install? I don't need to use my stock connectors do I as I may want to return to stock.?
    Q4) I would like to consider as an option good looking braided hoses with nice ends but I don't see any catch cans with such, just a thought but wonder if you have options over just a black rubber hose but this is not critical just wondering.
    Q4) If I buy yours do you stock it and how quickly can you process my order and when can I get it in SC 29576?
    Q5) I see on your site you have a $5 option for a oil drain. I see no pics of that...do you have a pic and thoughts on that drain? Do you stock one with the drain?
    Q6)Do you have a pic of the inside of the can? I would like to see any internal filters, build quality, etc?