Oil catch can study

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by srtdusty, Apr 26, 2016.

1. srtdusty

srtdusty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    ok this thread is not about if one is needed or the best brand or fastest color. I wasn't running around in a lab coat so it isn't very scientific either. The test car is a 15 hellcat charger with appx 4500 miles. Each "sample" was taken after 1500 miles +/- 75 miles. I emptied the catch cans in a clear plastic cup, and I let each can drain for 30 minutes to be even. I then weighted each sample on a kitchen scale. I also weighted two empty cups to get a base line with the scale. The scale is in grams. All catch cans are billet technology cans because that's what I use and have used forever.

Sample A: single BT catch can 14 grams
    Sample B: dual BT catch can left (drivers side) 0 grams
    Sample C: dual BT catch can right (passenger side) 13 grams
    Sample D: I took a sample of my 15 challenger 392 at 1500 miles 7 grams

As far as the second (drivers side) can I didn't even have a drop of oil in it. Tomorrow I will look and make sure all hose are connected properly and not kinked if it is installed properly I think I will just daisy chain the two cans together image.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So I have to ask...what is the study about?

Do catch cans collect oil?
    Mileage vs catch can collection?
    Single vs double?
    The weight of plastic cups?
    How does driving techniques vary catch can collections?

There is not a lot to go on here

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What I've always said...drivers side is unessesary. I've never seen any oil collection in that side

4. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yes! you figured out the purposed of the study! Its to find out if catch cans catch oil on both the drivers and passenger side to see if single or double cans are required as well as how much does the cup weigh when you drive it

5. VSTcat

VSTcat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    great finding! i wonder what long term benefits you might see by adding the catch can? I am not adding them to my cat as after she's out of warranty will replace it with a new one, but just curious :)

6. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How efficient is the catch can, or is it ineffecient (compared too whats out there, hm...)

7. Plum Crazy SRT392

Plum Crazy SRT392 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    On my 2016 SRT 392,1 teaspoon in 1600 miles(BT catch can)

8. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Same here...

9. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think he's pretty well covered most of the points except driving style. I remember a post where someone mentioned that the harder you drive, the less oil is produced from the passenger side. Something about the PCV operation. Maybe one of the gurus can chime in

10. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You would only see oil clean air side if the pcv completely shut due too cc pressure. The high hp owners, those that drag etc aren't reporting oil that side, nor are they using the metco valve filter installed in place of the oil fill cap, so...

• Like Like x 1
  11. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    While it seems the test lacked about as much of the Scientific Method as I have seen, there was some effort to gather precise data.

Driving style ("grandma", "normal", spirited, or WOT, and not any combination of any of the styles) is a variable that would best be constant over the duration of the test. But then that would require a larger number of tests. More tests would require more time, and/or vehicles.

One conclusion that I could draw was that the driver's side catch can might not have any affect in preventing oil intrusion into the intake.

12. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Simple test. (Pcv side.) Plug the intake plenum with small hose / bolt. Filter catch can out. Then watch what happens. Wanna get more out of the test, monitor vacuum / boost doing above at 3 places. Plenum where its it's plugged and catch can in or out and while its vented too atmosphere and clean side valve cover (has too be done car simulated in motion wont work in park reving it.) Want even more out of it data log timing and kr. Ask me how I know.

13. themush

themush Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I HAD to put one on the driver side vent on my 6.1L because it would puke oil out of it. I noticed people were putting them on both sides on the hellcat and wasnt sure if the system is set up different, or what the back story was. I put one on my HC with 1300 miles a few days ago, after two days I had a good TBSP of oil (I didnt measure it). Interesting none was found on drivers side in this test. Ill probably pass on doing that side for a bit then. Thanks for the info dusty

14. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any wide open throttle runs or track driving in the 4500mi?

Also, based upon the amount of oil collected through the passenger side catch can;

1,500 miles = 0.5 oz of oil consumed/caught.
    6,000 miles = 2 oz of oil out of 192 oz = 1.0% oil consumption every factory recommended oil change.
    36,000 miles = 1 1/2 cups of oil consumed/caught.
    216,000 miles = 1 1/8 quarts of oil out of 216 quarts = 0.5% oil consumption over the life of the engine.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  15. srtdusty

srtdusty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Thanks I thought most of the answers were there also. As far as driving style it's the wife's car so I'd say not many wide open throttle runs. There has been 3 runs down the strip, but that was with the first can. The cup weighted 6 grams if it matters as I subtracted it from the total weight.

• Like Like x 1