Oil change Amsoil SRT Filter

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by shadowsk, May 14, 2016.

1. shadowsk

shadowsk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Want to get some opinions on this. I finally got time to change my oil for the first time and decided to give the Amsoil Signature 0-40 Signature Series 0W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil
    a try along with the SRT 041 White filter a try. I'm at 900 miles. I had overheated at 250 miles due to a stuck thermostat and wanted to send in a sample of my oil to Blackstone was my reasoning for changing this early. But on to the change....

Everything went smooth. Primed the filter and and filled the engine with 6 quarts. I checked it cold 10 minutes after filling and cut it on and let it run until it got to temp and checked it 10 mins after cutting it off. Crawled back under and checked for leaks and all was good. Buttoned the pan back up and went for a 40 mile ride. Ambient temps started at 79F and was 75F went i got back home.

A couple things I noticed was the oil pressure was slightly higher. Usually, before, it cruised at 59-61psi and now it was cruising at 62psi. I know no big deal there. But I noticed at red lights off throttle it dropped to 40 and when I got on it it went up as high as 70. I had never noticed it fluctuate that much. Granted I hadn't payed much attention to it like I was today so maybe that's normal?

Another thing is on the way home I stopped and idled for about 5 minutes on a phone call and then I sat in driveway and idled and noticed my oil Temp had risen to 230F. My coolant temps were normal at 210. Usually before I had never noticed my oil temps get much over 10F difference from coolant temp. IE at 210 I would usually see 220-222F on oil temps after a trip and idling in driveway for a few minutes.

I just wanted some opinions from the experts. Am I being overly paranoid? I'm leaning going back to Pennzoil and the OEM black filter Monday and seeing if I get the same readings. What are you guys opinions? Thanks.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All sounds normal.

3. shadowsk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks!!! Big relief.

Edit: Also I forgot to mention I changed to a dimple magnetic drain plug.

4. HadesGata

HadesGata Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just curious why you waited:

#1 why so long to change the oil after an overheat

#2 why you chose not to use the factory recommend oil for your very first oil change?

5. shadowsk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    #1 I had asked the tech when they replaced the thermostat if he thought they should change the oil and he said no. So I decided just to do it at 1000 miles on my own and send in a sample.

#2 Just wanted to give Amsoil a try basically. A lot of guys at the local strip use it and generally it gets great reviews in other vehicles. Their samples in other applications have always came back great in the other forums I've seen. Figured it couldn't hurt to try it and send in another sample after another 1k and compare between the two. Just experimenting basically.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hemiplymouth

hemiplymouth Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Where did you get the mag drain plug?

7. shadowsk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  8. shadowsk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Got back out there tonight for a 20 minute drive. Ambient temps were cooler at 65F. All temps/pressures were back to what I have been seeing. Gonna be 81F tomorrow and run again.

9. cat8you

cat8you Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did a oil change on my charger at 1100 miles Amsoil and 041 srt filter.The only thing I see different is oil gauge is much more responsive with the srt filter.