Oil change led to radiator recall discovery

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by WindowShaker, Oct 10, 2015.

1. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I took my HC Challenger in for her 5000 mile oil change/tire rotation and while watching the tech work (my dealer lets me go back into the shop and actually has a stool set up for me to sit on to watch everything that happens with my car), I asked if he could check for any PCM updates. There was one PCM flash that needed to be done but then a recall showed up to replace the radiator. I'd already had the 2nd clamp recall done but he said Dodge decided to go ahead replace the radiators in some of the early builds. Mine was build #955. They actually had the parts in stock but I didn't have time today so I set an appointment for 11/7 and had them put a hold on the parts. He said it would be about a 3 hour job. Anyone else that's already had the clamp added get this recall? I haven't received anything in the mail on it yet but it showed up in the system.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think it's an "RT" (Rapid Transmittal) from FCA. Identify, check, correct on sight when the vehicle is present at the dealership. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm probably next in line with build #608.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had the 2nd clamp put on in the spring and had the radiator replaced a couple of weeks ago. Mine was build 331

4. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The radiator isn't a recall it's an RRT. You won't get a letter for it.

Like stated it's for internal use and to check when the vehicle come's in for service.

And RRT is all internal to Chrysler and the Government has nothing to do with it.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. Hemi_SRT8

Hemi_SRT8 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Just had my radiator replaced this week...

7. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How long did it take?

8. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the information everybody. Now I seem to remember him say "rapid response" at some point but he also referred to it as a recall. I appreciate the clarification.

9. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It is just not the clamp any longer. After "exercising" mine beyond everyday "normal" street limits on a closed legal track, Some of the radiators are indeed defective, mine spring a SMALL leak bottom passenger side. Replaced, done deal.

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. Hemi_SRT8

Hemi_SRT8 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    When they pinged my VIN at the service advisor desk. It showed they needed to look at the RRT (Rapid Response Transmittal). The technician has a "go/no-go" gauge where he can check to see if the radiator end caps are crimped on properly. Mine were not, so he ordered a new radiator. It took less than a day to R&R the radiator. I think the front nose had to come off too. He also added the second radiator clamp. Mine was never leaking so I'm glad we caught this before it leaked down the road.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Judging by the RRT that fnkychkn posted, the front nose doesn't have to come off but the radiator has to be taken out from the bottom.

My tech didn't even bother with the tool. He simply said "We're going to replace it." Parts were at the dealer and now they're on hold for my appointment.

12. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Step 16. Remove the front fascia

You are correct the radiator does come from the bottom but you need the front bumper off to access the bolts that secure some stuff to the front of the radiator. Could it be done with the bumper on possibly. But for the time it takes to r and r the bumper it's not worth even trying. Takes 10 minutes to remove the bumper it's 6 bolts and plastic clips.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine sprung a pinhole leak a few months back. 3 hours is correct, but there is cooldown time, i had to drop off and pickup next day. No issues since. Build # 21.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Build # 4195...5/25/15 here. No radiator recall/RRT in the system for me as of a week ago. Thanks for the heads up;)

15. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    mine is #1179 and i want to take it in for the fuel rail....i had the 2nd clamp and still smell antifreeze when the engine is warming up.......so hoping i get a new radiator too.......even though my issue reminds me of a head gasket issue i had with a chevy 305 in the mid 80's......once the car is warmed up i dont smell it...no antifreeze in the oil.....

ill be making an appointment this week to get it done before i put it away for the winter