Oil Consumption in the first 7500 miles

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat TSB's' started by Knightmare, Aug 11, 2015.

1. strykerpsg

strykerpsg SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Auto. The weird thing is the car is not track driven or drag raced. I've not even had it over about 240 kmh, maybe twice. However, I do enjoy making lots of noise in the local highway tunnels of Korea....so loud and obnoxious, so Merican!

2. TrackDay

TrackDay Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you paddle shift it a lot, driving it like a manual, maybe holding out gears and letting it coast down without shifting? IOW, do you drive it like Richard Hammond through tunnels and taunting James May? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. strykerpsg

strykerpsg SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LMAO! I saw the show and my girlfriend laughed so hard she fell off the couch. She too would roll her eyes every time we went into a tunnel. I told her, it's an American thing, she wouldn't understand.....

I do indeed paddle shift a lot. Matter of fact, they hooked up my black box and Android interface to some wrong wiring harness and my service paddle shifter light came on as well as service transmission light service too. They attributed it those warnings coming on as a protective mode because the low oil pressure sensor was potentially bad. The car has been in the shop for a few weeks now, but also because while they were test driving it and thought they had found the cure to the problem, they got mildly rear ended by a bus. So, now I am stuck driving a Porsche Panamera.....such a hideous car...kidding.

4. spitback

spitback Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's Jan 2017 -- is your HC still going thru this problem ?

5. screaminhell

screaminhell Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    1st change down a quart, after that none,

6. blairian

blairian Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm closing in on 2,000 miles and I have used roughly a quart of oil since new; no oil change yet. I run it hard - lots of highway miles and I make sure to "clean" the injectors regularly...

We will see if it levels out or stops, but it hasn't been anything really alarming yet.

7. Gigantor

Gigantor SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Bought mine Dec 7th 2016 Charger with Neros. Never been launched, city driving in south Houston, currently at 4200miles. Changed the oil at 2k on Jan 25th at dealer, was a quart and a half low.

As of yesterday, it was barely wet at the bottom of the dipstick, so roughly another quart and a quarter low between 2000-4200miles. When the SRT tech pulled the dipstick I got a "thousand yard stare" and he owns a '15 HC Charger. We went through the tamper protocol between changes because of the amount of oil I have all over my garage from the exhaust. ( I know the difference between exhaust "soot" and soot mixed with a lot of oil..

Default mode with Eco is my normal. No track work. Baby'd mine through the first 300miles, started driving more aggressively the last 1200 miles before I took it for the first change. Still haven't launched it (no point with Neros on). For play I run in custom mode (700, Trans in Street. Suspension Sport, traction street, don't paddle much till just recently.

Idk, blow by somewhere...

8. kittykitty

kittykitty Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    4627 miles 16 hc went thru 7 qrts since last oil change. Dodge is doing test now taking back at 500 miles to see result. No signs of leak or smell of burning. I do have black splatter spots all over baxk wall

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gigantor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    7???? Wow. Other than my usage is way lower, same same here, lots of ruined shoes, Scrubbing floors,and Doors,..it's not just soot when I have to use emulsifier and and other petrochemical solvents. Very similar to oil on concrete. I grew up on the track and in the plants in Michigan...def blow by

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  10. Gigantor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Dealer contacted SRT, they said top it off and follow the protocol for another week until they can get to it. I take mine to the vet next week Wednesday. SRT is aware and is showing interest Is the best way to describe my situation. Been providing pics and following protocol since the 1st change.

11. blairian

blairian Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here's what comes out of my exhaust on start-up. I have a 2016 Challenger HC with a little over 3,500 miles and I have used 2 1/2 quarts of oil; still factory fill.

I'm concerned as well - definitely feels like oil. I also do typically see a white puff of smoke on cold start as well.

Attached Files:

12. SRTCVO

SRTCVO Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine made a gigantic mess on my white refrigerator and light grey epoxy floor one time but it wiped up pretty easily with some armor all spray cleaner so I don't think there was much, if any, oil in there. Chalked it up to a bit of idling the car had done before being parked for the night. Been pointing it face in/exhaust out since then and when backing out have seen some splatter but not like that time.

I am at 1,000 miles and haven't used any oil. First change will be this weekend then will see if any usage occurs with more miles. Plan to go to 20% on the monitor then change as mine is a daily driver.

13. GroceryGetter

GroceryGetter Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting read here. I was at the dealership yesterday dropping my Ram off and decided to pull the stick on the Cat. According to my eyes, the service advisor, and the tech, the cat is still full at 2400 miles.

Granted my wife daily drives this car and doesn't romp on it, so I'd imagine that could the reason.....But I get behind the wheel some what occasionally and I drive the eyeballs outta this thing

I'll keep an eye on it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

14. HCjouster

HCjouster SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    this make me worried because at 55oo miles of pure romping( i daily drive on a race track) and just noticing black soot all over a 2 x 4 foot area of my driveway under exhaust valve, i think i may be spewing some blow by.... but maybe its not just some but way too much

15. HHCO

HHCO Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    1200 miles no oil consumption,mostly highway miles,regular full throttle runs,if these cars are ran hard at track they would probably use some oil,mainly because they are supercharged.my corvettes would use 2 or 3 quarts in 200 hundred hot rod miles