Oil Leak or Condensation?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by goingsolo2, Mar 8, 2015.

1. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    After washing the car and detailing the engine today, I noticed a small spot of what seems to be oil near one of the lines right before the intake. My buddy told me he thinks it's a little oil condensation, but to keep an eye on it. Anyone else experience this or know what it is? Hellcat has 540 miles on it with a proper 500 mile break-in. See attached pics.

Steve
    IMG_3410.jpg IMG_3411.jpg IMG_3412.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I re edit to show your pics full preview. I haven't seen that before, maybe it's a leak?

3. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Another op on this can't remember title never saw that cars symptom traced to root cause.

5. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Menesesjesse

Menesesjesse #147

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This looks like a PVC line that enters oil vapors back into the intake. The rubber seal may not be doing the job 100% but I wouldn't call it a leak since it is not traditionally a place where oil pressure is applied. I would watch it closely to see if it is a regular occurrence.

7. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the input and links guys! The other thread didn't really have a solid answer in it, so not sure whether to bring it in or keep an eye on it.

8. Tannehill

Tannehill Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It's the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) line for the intake, it returns excess crankcase combustion gases back to the intake (as opposed to venting them to the atmosphere). Sometimes there is a bit of oil mist in the blow-by, that's where the oil is coming from. Pop it off and check out the valve, just eyeball it to see if anything looks funky. Click it back on so you know it is secure. Clean the area around the intake nipple of oil so you have a fresh, clean start and then watch it for a bit. If it builds up again fairly significantly, have them check it out.

If you have ever heard of oil separator tanks or "catch cans:, this is where they go. They go "in-line" between that valve and the one on the crankcase and collect all of the blow-by oil so that it isn't thrown into the intake manifold along with the gases. In due time I am sure there will be one available for the 6.2L SC engine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks so much! I had a catch can on my 2012 Challenger SRT8 and it was FULL after every 1500 miles. I guess this just proves that we do need one of the Hellcat!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Clean, inspect if okay put a hose clamp on it

11. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    put a zip tie on it, problem solved

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wrong. The PCV is directly attached to the passenger side rocker cover; the CCV line connects to it then to the air intake plenum at a completely different point. See #3 in pic attached below that is PCV.

The line op shows with whatever the spots are is evap, intake from gas tank pressure.

image.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I went out and felt around that hose. There is a rubber seal around the bottom of it. I squeezed the seal a little and saw a bubble pop around it. Would that indicate a bad rubber seal?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You need to take car to the shop. Where that line attaches should be vacuum under all but very high hp / torque, that may cause a foul air mode condition; crank case pressure shutting down PCV, then CC pressure routes only way left which is through makeup air line off drivers side rocker cover. Maybe not only 2 instances reported on this forum your 1 didn't see root cause identified on other post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I like this explanation :cool: