Opinions: GT350 to Hellcat?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Schilling1, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Schilling1

Schilling1 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I've been reading posts on this forum for almost a year. I even ordered a Hellcat last year at MSRP but the dealer sold it to another person over MSRP and left me dry. A friend of mine is a manager at a Ford dealership and I ended up getting a GT350 at MSRP two months ago. I truly love the car. It's fast, handling is amazing, the sound is intoxicating and it gets compliments all the time. With that said, I still drool over the Hellcat. I love the room inside, how comfortable it is just to cruise in the car, the sunroof option, the tech inside, the A8 and most of all, the power! I don't want to make this a Ford/Dodge debate but I'm really considering trading it for a Hellcat. My Challenger experience is from my girlfriend's 15' SRT. I've never been for a drive in the Hellcat. Any feedback from those who have been around both cars would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I've even considered keeping the GT350 and getting the Hellcat but I'd rather have one and then a Jeep.

2. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to say I haven't driven the new GT350... but the car is nice but it's no longer a muscle car... its a sports car. Lets put it this way... I would never trade in the Hellcat for a GT350. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The new GT and GT350 are very nice cars... but they aren't in the same league as the Hellcat in my opinion. It's not a roadcoarse car, but a comfortable highway cruiser with a ton of power. If you are looking to cut up some curves, it's not the best choice, but can still handle its own. I will own a Hellcat as long as they continue to sell gas. It has a lot of space, great technology, great gas mileage, comfortable, sounds awesome, ventilated seats/ heated seats / wheel, and it just pulls like crazy at any mph.

I also have a Gen 5 Viper and I can honestly say if I could only have one, I'd keep the Hellcat. It does so many things well and I use mine as my daily driver.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Depends on what you want to do with your vehicle? I have a modified 2013 Boss Mustang. On the track.....it's amazing. As a weekend get away vehicle.....no thanks. I fully expect to track our Hellcat.....but for cruising and a weekend car....hands down in favor of the Hellcat. More room, creature comforts and a Supercharged Hemi symphony.

So.....two completely different cars. Each spectacular in their own way......so it becomes a very subjective decision. My Hellcat is going to get used a lot more than my Boss.....but that's me

• Like Like x 2
  5. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I love the comfort of the Hellcat. Very spacious and I don't have to climb in and out. The drivetrain rocks... With that said if I was going to buy one other car it would be the GT350.

You have an awesome car but if you really want a Hellcat get one. Trade/sell the GT350 if necessary otherwise keep it and enjoy both!

• Like Like x 1
  6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Small-slower vs Large-faster

looks wise i prefer the HC.....ive never been impressed by handling/braking......i get impressed by power....the 5.2 is a very,very cool engine.....and made in USA!!!...not made in a 3rd world country

you should have waited a few more months and gotten the HC...maybe the trade in wont be too bad..if there is still a waiting list for the 350 you may be able to sell for almost what ya paid...and HC's seem easy to find for MSRP now...just go get one

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  7. hemiplymouth

hemiplymouth Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Get yourself a Hellcat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Driving a Hellcat is like driving the SRT 392, except that, instead of your foot being planted at full throttle, you get that same feel/experience in the Hellcat at 1/4 throttle and then some.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The resale is higher on those ford things so take your money and run all the way to the kitty box!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. gabe

gabe Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I saw a white 350 not the 350R at a car meet Saturday. Nice car but not for me.
    I need to have room for 4 passengers.

11. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What did they say on the GT350 forum?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sure...No problem. If the weather cooperates for the first cars and coffee, I'll bring it down with the Cat. It needs to get some miles on it. The Cat is light years ahead in terms of creature comforts and amenities. The Boss is a stripped down mustang with better suspension l, brakes and engine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

The Mustang was never a musclecar, and cannot ever be considered a sports car. They are pony cars. As a matter of fact, it was the Mustang that birthed that exact category.

Sports cars, by definition, have 2 seats only.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not a brand loyalist, nor do I think the Hellcat is the end-all, be-all.. so hopefully you'll understand that I'm speaking truth.

The GT350 doesn't hold a candle to the Hellcat, period. With the HC you get more room inside, much higher quality materials inside (especially on surfaces that you'll be touching), more creature-features (options), more power, better performance, more flexibility in how you drive it thanks to the adaptive suspension, 3 drive modes and customizable drive mode, better quality ride (the Stang is still too rough around the edges and makes for a harsh ride), and more manageable power thanks to the linear power delivery and smooth 8 speed auto transmission. It's easier to drive like a "normal" car around town, and it reacts instantly when you want to run the power. Another note is that the HC will rarely ever go into heatsoak and lose any significant amount of power... the Mustang (and by the way... all other Dodge cars) will, and that can be a big deal for some people.

The new Mustangs are absolutely drop-dead sexy in design. If they had actually released a GT500 last year, I might have gone that route over the HC (I've had a GT500 before and enjoyed it), but the Mustang's shortcomings might have prevented me from doing it anyway. The cheap, plastic-y interiors, lack of options and overall road manners seem to remain for all Mustangs, regardless of what edition you buy. Again, I'm not knocking the Mustang, but reality is reality. If they put the money into the interiors like Dodge finally has... the choice would be much harder. As I understand it, that rough riding Mustang suspension is a blessing in the corners, and area where our beloved tugboats still struggle, so it depends on what you want. I'm not a racer, I drive my car daily... so I want a better ride.

This is my 3rd SRT vehicle, 2nd Challenger. I've not always had good luck with them, but this car has proven that Dodge is finally turning a corner and creating a better product. While there are folks here who have undoubtedly had issues (some minor, some not-so minor), I can only speak to my experiences... and I have now over 12,000 miles on mine with no issues except for one faulty sensor about 2 weeks ago. Simple fix, no big deal.

Right now in the world of musclecars and pony cars fighting in the HP wars... the Hellcat is the undisputed top dog. We claim the highest numbers on the dyno, and the lowest numbers at the track. We are in the league now of supercars that cost more than double what our cars do. I have absolutely no illusions however... next year when the GT500 is released, it WILL beat us in terms of power output and very likely 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. They'll still be dealing with traditional shortcomings.. but it will be a monster and will best our beloved Hellcat.

But that just means that Dodge has time to fire back. And with the impending reveal of the Jeep Trackhawk (Hellcat powered AWD Grand Cherokee)... Dodge may still best the next GT500 from 0-100 anyway.