Over Inflated Tires From Dealer

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Robo21, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oddly, when I picked up my Challenger Hellcat last Friday the tires were inflated to 51 PSI cold all the way around. I didn't realize this until I got the car home and pulled up the info on the DID.

There was a very annoying buzz in the dashboard which nearly broke my heart while driving home. I felt like I got a lemon with a rattle right off the bat and started creating scenarios in my mind of having to take the car in for service where the dealer would tear apart the dash, the porters would do burnouts while my car was in the shop, etc.

But then I figured that the over inflation might be causing a resonant frequency causing the buzz in the dash and sure enough - once I dropped the pressure to 32 PSI cold all the way around the car not only rode infinitely better but the buzz went completely away. Whew... What a relief.

Needless to say I notified the dealer that it is probably a bad idea to send new customers home with over inflated tires. They agreed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They come that way from the factory. Mine were 48psi and had quite a shake at highway speeds. Brought them down to 32 and smooth as silk. Dealer PDI is supposed to take care of that but don't always do

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ah, well that makes sense. The sales manager said he is going to alert the service manager to make sure they set the pressure correctly.

How do you get a sig picture here? I would love to put a silver Challenger at the bottom of my posts.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ArchGE

ArchGE VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    ^^^^^^ Yep, mine arrived at 50 lbs all around. Dealers suck at taking care of this during prep.

5. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had that happen to me twice...sicked my crew chief on the "problem" and in 5 minutes we were at 32psi x 4...you are really going to enjoy your HC!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It is a shame that it wasn't caught on pdi. Tech should always see that if he is good and cares abt what he does

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lol you guys kill me. I see thread after thread after thread about everyone not wanting anyone to touch their golden Hellcat's. They request the dealer to not perform the PDI process, don't drive it push it everywhere, etc.

Now look something is over looked on a PDI and your upset. Not saying you (the OP) is that customer who had all these special instructions but it's to a point that when a Hellcat comes into a dealership no body wants to get even close to it. The PDI tech was probably just so use to having all kind of special instructions he just blew it through.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. don selleck

don selleck Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    same thing happened to me, I had 45 lbs. in them, happened to drive over a screw and damaged my sidewall at 300 miles bought a new tire from dealer drove away car felt funny checked pressure on screen all were around 45 except for new one was 35 went back, told them, new tire was 10 lbs. low, (not knowing 35 was the number they were supposed to be at since i usually drive a truck and my tires run around 50) salesman was bitching at service guy about not lowering the pressure at dealer prep. service tech snapped back and said they had instructions not to touch the car. I stepped in and said there was no problem shit happens, no damage done. It seems everyone in walking on pins and needles when it comes to that car. I wouldn't want to work there. Hate seeing someone's ass chewed for following directions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bought mine with two miles on car. PSI was 45. Door jamb sticker states should be 32 front and rear.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you lived close to me I'd have you servicing mine. I'd give you the red key and some cash and tell you to take it to lunch LOL.

I just want somebody competent working on my car that cares about what he does. Coming here makes me feel so normal LOL!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. hunterjr81

hunterjr81 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine was at 48-49 psi when I bought it. I did not order it either as it came off the showroom floor. There were no special orders from me to not touch the car. They just didnt do their job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My 2016 was ordered with special instruction to do everything that should be done in a normal PDI. Clean it, prep it, check it, do everything that should be done since I was driving it 1200 miles to home right from the dealer. Everything was perfect on the car except for tire pressure. 45 lbs on all four tires. Checked it with the on screen gauge. Told the salesman right away. Then I went to each tire and let some air out and drove home. Seems that 45 lbs is where they are being set at the factory. Maybe everyone who hasn't picked up their car yet will check their own tires.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I LOVE my Tech, Josh! My only special instructions are that nobody drives or works on my cars except Josh, because he is Da Man!! :)

April

15. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    here ya go Robo21 Customize your own personal Hellcat.org Signature!

• Like Like x 1