Overheating hellcharger with only 224 miles

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Hellcharger, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Hellcharger

Hellcharger Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]My second post here and unfortunately had my hellcat had overheating issues today.
    Coolant temp was reaching close to 260f
    Only 224 miles are on the car after only a week of owning it (only 3 miles on od) and not even pushing this car hard - just at breakin mode still. Its been fine all week but today took a trip out to local city (approx 60f weather temp and very windy) and after about 1 hour of driving it overheated rapidly.
    I parked it immediately for 1 hour, I checked underhood for any fluid issues/radiator hose but all looked clean then turned around after the cool down time and proceeded home.
    20 minutes later temp went back to 260f ish, parked it again waited 40 minutes to cool again with hood open (still all looked ok underhood and undercar), this time i cranked up the heater full blast and put it in eco mode.
    Got home with the temp around 190-210f the rest of the way. Going in for service monday morning fingers crossed all will be fixed ok. Stressed for sure. :-( image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg [/COLOR]

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like maybe a cooling fan shit the bed. Does it hit 260 if you are at highway speed?

3. Hellcharger

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Both overheat occurrences were driving around town once in sport mode, once in default, i could definitely see the temp rise at every stop or slowing thru streets lights, when i made it home in eco mode it was mostly freeway

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to hear but yeah sounds like the fans are out. Keep us posted

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. RoRo

RoRo VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Damn I wonder how that could happen! Some times you just get some annoying things happening making for a bad break in. I did hear of this happening because the car was left in park idleing too long during breakin while the windows were getting tinted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FatCat

FatCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not sure, but wouldn't oil temp be a better parameter to follow for issues of overheating?

....and what temp/limit is considered excessive for the HC?

7. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Did you check if the fan was on with engine running when you opened the hood @249?

8. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    check fuse #2 (40 amp) & #18 (50 amp) in front PDC (power distribution center/under hood fuse box).

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Titletaker

Titletaker Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Check to see if fans are running.

10. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Most folks don't watch oil temp and many cars don't have a sensor for it. It's an important factor but regardless, the coolant temp is what needs to be watched.

11. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sorry to hear it....i still have a coolant smell(after they found my leak).....mine will be going in again

my smell now starts a few minutes after warm up and goes away after 10+ minutes of driving....its only noticable in that warming up stage....from experience with previous cars i know that different materials can warm up differently....causing a leak to occur and then seal back up....had this issue with a old GM 305 where the head bolts didnt have sealant....it would leak antifreeze when warming up and then the head bolts would fully heat/swell and seal themselves....it took 5x bringing it in to find it.........i dont think my problem is the head bolts, but rather something else that seals itself once fully warmed up......

giving it 2 more weeks to burn off all the old antifreeze to make sure and then its back off to dr.buick

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Hellcharger

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the added feedback, im going to test again to see if the fan activates at overheat, as for the fuses they look good
    fnkychkn l think u mean fuses #3 and 19 radiator fans? (2 and 18 are empty) those fuses look to be in good condition
    Also does any know if dealer service requires red key at drop off or can i leave them with the black key!?

image.jpg
    image.jpg

13. Hellcharger

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So heres an update
    Day 2 i took car out for short ride around neighborhood in sport mode, stayed nice in temp safe zone then proceeded home after about 15 min of driving, then went home and let it idle in my driveway for about 5 minutes then all of a sudden the coolant temp started to rise to over heat - reached closed to 260 again and nope the fan did not go on!
    I guess i hope this is the only issue causing the overheat?!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That's your issue.Did you check the fuses with volt or ohmmeter? Are the fuses getting power? Is the fan plugged in at the fan and at the resistor?

• Like Like x 1
  15. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    sorry Hellcharger. your user name wasn't enough of a clue to what vehicle you have and I looked it up for a challenger. :oops:

the charger hellcat uses fuses 3 & 19 to feed the cooling fan module which is controlled by the PCM over a dedicated circuit. you'd need a scanner capable of actuating the fan module as a PCM output to verify fan operation without overheating the engine.

• Useful Useful x 2