P Zero VS P Zero Nero (and opinions on "Summer" Tires)

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by Luke.LaGrange, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Luke.LaGrange

Luke.LaGrange Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Title says it all. After close inspection of my car upon getting it back from Caliber Collision in Jessup Maryland (those guys are miracle workers, there is no indication whatsoever that I had the back left smashed in. Speed tested to 120 so far...) I discovered that one of my tires was a P Zero vice a Zero Nero. I had both tires side by side and the only difference I could see was the Nero's have the M&S stamped on them (who the hell takes their SRT mudding???) I live in the midlands area of South Carolina and the weather here only just started turning today (46F this morning on the drive into work). I plan on keeping these "winter" tires on until spring and I was hoping to hear what you guys are running for summer stickies. I am looking for more of a road course tire as this is my daily driver and I understand that the more extreme drag radial types aren't the best for cornering. Also, what are people running for tire pressures? I did the nitrogen fill in hopes that it would curb the pressure fluctuations with changes in temperature, but they're still sitting at about 31-32 psi cold and 35-36 psi hot highway. Hope all is well with everyone, so happy to finally be back in my SRT! I have been learning how to handle it all over again!

2. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The difference is the compound of the rubber. The summers get pretty greasy when the temps drop below 40 or so. I'd have them swap it out for a 3 season one so all 4 are the same !

I have summers (rare to get temps below 40 in FL) and keep the cold pressure @ 34.

3. Luke.LaGrange

Luke.LaGrange Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The oddball tire was a P Zero and I swapped it out for a P Zero Nero so all four are now P Zero Nero. Those have the M&S stamp (mud and snow, right?) and say all season so those are what I plan on running until it gets hot again. From what I have been able to find, it looks like a set of Nitto NT555 G2's will give me what I'm looking for. As much as I'd love to throw drag radials on it (like the NT05R, or even the NT555R) I know that they aren't the best choice for a daily driver where I may need to do quick maneuvers to avoid the idiots, potholes, and random critters on the road.

What are you running for summer tires?

4. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are loads of threads on the Nitto's and other options vs. the P-0's, just search on Nitto & start reading ;).

If the car is principally your DD, the P-0's are a decent tire. Many have tried to run the summer version in the cold and complained about traction, but they are not meant for cold weather states. I have no plans to dump mine until they are cooked. Not sure I'll put on another set, will probably go with summer Conti DW (not their DWS, which is all season and has a bit of a soft sidewall for this car) when the time comes or perhaps splurge & get Pilots.

5. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You need to look in the tire section about the G2s, everyone hates them, me included. I'm just burning them off to get new ones

6. Luke.LaGrange

Luke.LaGrange Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Thanks for the heads up! I have been reluctant to utilize research on the Hellcats for my 392 as I haven't been able to find a definitive side by side comparison of the two cars. I know the engine, trans, drivetrain and power steering are different... everything else is the same? I will do some more digging through the Hellcat side. Thank you again!

7. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have sets of both tires. The all season tire's traction does not compare favorably to the summer tire when the weather is warm. The opposite is true when the temperature drops.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 2FST4GM

2FST4GM Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I have NT555 G2's and love them. My car runs 12.7@111.