P062A on Hellcat Charger

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by moises_hellgato, Nov 17, 2015.

1. moises_hellgato

moises_hellgato Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Engine is a little shaky when I'm on a light. Check engine lights come on and it's P062A which it has to do with a fuel sensor. Dealership says that they have to change the fuel pump and I have to pay for them to clean the fuel system $170. Car is under warranty with 7,000 miles. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Warranty

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    P062A-FUEL PUMP CONTROL PERFORMANCE
    Theory of Operation

When the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) receives a ‘Start’ or ‘Run’ signal, it energizes the Fuel Pump relay which sends a continuous 12 volt supply to the Fuel Pump Control Module (FPCM). The PCM also sends a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) control signal directly to the FPCM which regulates the PWM voltage that will be sent to the Fuel Pump Module. The PWM will vary from 10-100% depending on the input of the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor and other engine demands. The PCM receives a PWM signal from the FPCM representing the state of all inputs and outputs of the FPCM. This is a Constant Pressure Fuel system which means any pressure test performed on the Fuel Pump would show a continuous pressure (regardless of the changes in PWM). If a pressure sensor fails or other failures are present; The duty cycle goes to a default setting (80%) to maintain fuel pressure.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

• Engine running
      • Battery voltage greater than 11.0 volts

Set Conditions:

• The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects a difference between the Variable Speed Fuel Pump pressure Actual and Desired.

Default Actions:

• Fault is set on the first trip that the diagnostic fails.
      • When this DTC is set, the Fuel Pump Control Module (FPCM) will continue to run the Fuel Pump Module at 100% duty cycle.
      • The MIL will be turned off on the third consecutive trip that the diagnostic passes.

Possible Causes
    RESTRICTED FUEL SUPPLY
    FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER PLUGGED
    FUEL LEAK
    FUEL PUMP
    POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

i'm curious as to why they need to clean the fuel system. did you fill it with contaminated fuel?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. moises_hellgato

moises_hellgato Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That explains why fuel pump is going bad. Thank you

5. Bobbrown13

Bobbrown13 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I'd make them prove that contaminants caused the fuel pump to go out. They should be able to show you the debris. If the strainer is plugged that should be easy to see.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You don't have to pay shit, Dealership is trying to rake in extra money. If bad fuel caused it then they wouldn't warranty it blaming you for the bad fuel. There's no half coverage.

7. moises_hellgato

moises_hellgato Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yea just got back and the fuel pump is on order they said that I have to pay for them cleaning the system :/ how can I fight this?

8. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tell them no way...it should be covered under warranty, and that they need to prove that the fuel is contaminated. You should not have to pay a dime.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah... tell them you want to see the fuel that comes out of it... the fuel filter and the fuel pump when it is removed. If you fuel at the same station all the time I highly doubt it's the fuel. I agree with the dealer saying what they said without even knowing if there was a fuel problem... they are setting you up. Is it the dealer you purchased it from?

10. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  11. Garfield

Garfield Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like a bunch of BS to me! At 7k miles you would have to have been using some extremely bad fuel the entire time.. Like your car would be barley running kinda bad..

But my question is how do they know it's the fuel pump when you haven't even taken the car in yet? Lol... That's the first flag...

Then the second one is they haven't dropped the pump yet to look at the strainer so how do they know it's contaminated and you need a cleaning? Flag number 2

And at this point even if they somehow diagnosed this via phone from the code which lists 5 possible causes of concern... They I would question how? Cause then it would seem to me they've run into this already there and that seems odd to me too!

Must be the same guy that works at the tire shop down the road from me who tells my wife she needs a new cabin filter every time she takes her car in for anything! Lol I swear she got 2 flats in 2 weeks and the same guy tried to sell her a cabin filter both times even though she just had a 36k service there the week before with filter change lol..

Pretty much I tell them to get bent over the cleaning after having just bought a 70g car from them.. But I'm open minded too.. If they could prove to me that the fuel was so bad that it caused this I pay. But I see no way you could have that much sediment already even if you were refining your own fuel in the back yard.

Edit...

Just realized you already took it in... But the points I raised are still valid as they had their mind made up before they even dropped the tank. They didn't diagnose anything they just changed the pump. I got a $1 that says you get the same code again and they changed pumps for no reason ;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  12. moises_hellgato

moises_hellgato Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yea they don't really troubleshoot they just change parts from the cheapest and up. So they are starting with the pump which costs 3k then if that doesn't works it's the injectors which is 9k but warranty pays that but you have a point I shouldn't pay a dime for a 82k car that I just ******* bought lol

13. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Call DriveSRT, Talk to one of the rep's and i guarentee you one of them will say put the phone on speaker so they can speak to the service writer or manager and they'll pull that fuel cleaning cost so fast.