Paint issue...big bummer

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Spazoid, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Spazoid

Spazoid Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So, finally my first sunny day since getting my cat, pulled it out of the garage and started wiping it down when a neighbor asked "what's up with the front end of the car?" ...not words you want to hear after having it only just over 2 weeks! After careful inspection it seems as if when they painted they did not have enough black paint to cover the front of the car. (the thin pain is under the clear coat) This is only noticeable in bright light. After this, I started a thorough inspection of the full car and found two more spots that were flawed on the paint on the side. I took to my dealer and and they could not see the issue..until it was in direct sunlight. They are now aware of and it looks like my cat is going in for some paint. Currently we are waiting approval from FCA, but the dealer said either way they would make it right.

Mine was built on 10/21/15 so if anyone else has a black cat built around this time you may want to inspect closely to be sure you do not have same issue.

Hoping there is a happily ever after to this story. I currently have faith that the dealer and FCA will take care of it and make it right.

2. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    FCA will approve and they'll send it off to a local shop for respray. They'll do right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The entire paint and paint inspection process is subpar for any car built in 2015. There are too many cars with paint issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    SRT_HC_707 is correct (in my opinion) my soon to be former green car has some issues, and there is at least one green car owner on this site
    that has what he calls spots under his base coat.

There are a handful of black cars described on this site with the same issues (on the front bumper cover) that you have. If you do a search you
    may find them and get some ideas about possible good and bad body shops if any of those cars are in your area.

Best of luck to you, very sorry for your troubles but my recent experience with a different issue has shown me that Dodge will stand behind these
    cars.

5. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For me personally, it would have to be very bad and extremely noticeable to just let some local shop take a shot at a respray.

Even if they let me pick my go to custom painter who does show quality work, I would have to think it over.

Some times the cure is worse than the disease.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Allycat

Allycat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Same build timeframe as me, same color, same issues. Absolutely can't see it unless it's in direct sunlight. My salesman actually pointed it out to me. On a positive note, they have their own body shop that does a lot of high end stuff so it looks like they have another winter project. Still friggn frustrating

7. Hellyeah44

Hellyeah44 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a few hiccups in my paint too. Besides the orange peel in the paint there are a few Fish eyes in it too. We had it in my shop which is white with polished floors and way too many lights and we saw some DA sanding marks in the top of the roof right above the door. I freaked out but the car fax checks out on it. It doesnt appear to have anything done to it. I bought it with 1900 miles on it.

8. Spazoid

Spazoid Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yes....frustrating! I take mine in the 28th and they are trying to get it back to me by the 1st.