Paint issue!! detail/paint pros help!!!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by Pitch Black Cat, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Pitch Black Cat

Pitch Black Cat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So i'm scheduled to get my car ceramic coated on tuesday. I'm showing him a small haze on the bumper that he said is nothin and we walk around to the side and wtf is that. When i bought the car i found a bubble in the clear that i knew they can't fix without painting it. I showed the body shop just to ask because i'm not an expert. They agreed and it's tiny anyway. the rest of the car was great. Well today was the first real sunny day in a while. so with the passenger side facing the sun and the sun at the right angle this spot of doom shows up on the side of the door. It's right on top of the bubble i noticed before. This only shows up in heavy light or sun. IT doesn't look good at all. The last thing i want on a brand new car is paint. I showed the dealer right after we found it. He said i can show the body shop guy tomorrow. Jus wanted to ask the paint pros how screwed i am on this. Any chance it can be polished out. It looks like a total new guy hit it at the factory with a buffer. the first pic is the night i picked it up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have 2 spots identical, on my 2016 also black. 1 on both side of my car. Easy fix. Likely on yours they will be dealt with by light polishing. On mine they're not deep enough to cause concern. I doubt your spot will be a concern either from the pic.

C. Charles Hahn might weigh in, he's a pro.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can tell you exactly what that is. My 15 pitch black SRT had about 12 of those. Didnt see them for about a wk after i bought the car, and only in the direct bright sun. Panicked, called SRT, showed the dealer. Spent about a month panicking. No one knew what it was and i would have bet cold cash that it was under the clear.
    So on another forum theres a guy who works at the plant so i pm'd him. Turns out those are spots where they found either dust or small blemishes in the clearcoat and they were buffed out but not polished enough afterwards.
    Went home, bought a very high end 3M polish and Voila! Gone. Its def in the clear and will buff out with a quality polish.
    I debated making the dealer detail the whole car because i had a multitude of them, and ill bet you will find more as you go too. Took me some time on many sunny days to spot them all.
    In the end i didnt want to be without the car so i did the whole car myself.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Brampton Builder

Brampton Builder Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The haze is poor polishing job , just needs to be buffed out a little longer.

5. Spazoid

Spazoid Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine had two...one below A pillar....other in B pillar. Polished out nicely. No sweat. Didn't see mine until I had a nice sunny day.

6. 392

392 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had scuff marks all over, polished out nicely....

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 392

392 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pitch black....lots of work....

8. im3cpo

im3cpo Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a pitch black car and had that sort of stuff littered all over my car. I had ceramic pro installed and long story short is the prep work for that fixed everything and the car is 100% flawless now. Dont worry about it! Your detailer will be able to fix everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have seen only one cat with a paint issue similar. It buffed out and had no issue. I would need to see better pics or see the car to give you a educated answer. Over the years I have also seen marks like that that go away after using a heat gun. Remember these magnets that people put on cars/trucks/vans, although they may stand for something or a cause so to speak, if they aren't moved around periodically they will cause a fog under them. The heat trick has also worked on this.
    I would take BB post and use that for best advise. He knows what he is talking about

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pitch Black Cat

Pitch Black Cat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the replies. I feel a lot better now . Last night it looked so bad I didn't think it would ever come out. I wish I could do all this myself. I hate letting anyone touch my car. It seems like they never do the quality they should.

11. thedynoguy

thedynoguy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just made my appointment with the local CQuartz guru and when I told him I had a pitch black HC, he explained the extra cost for the paint correction without even seeing the car. I guess the paint problem with these cars is kind of well known...

12. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Don't let Old Coyote see this thread, or he'll have another item to add to his list.

"Dodge Quality" is a relative term. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. SC DETAILEL

SC DETAILEL Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a pitch black in latter part of last year for correction and coating. These are typically factory marks from removing dirt nibs or small imperfections in the paint. Sad thing is that they don't finish them out to match the rest of the vehicle. The vehicle I had in had never been touched other than the factory. Good thing is, most of these can be fixed with polishing and then it will all match.

HUMP

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wayne

Wayne Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are you going to have the CQuartz done at Arete on Union St? I stopped down there to talk with those guys. Now all I need is to get my car!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thedynoguy

thedynoguy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yes, that's the place!