Paint issue

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Tomcat707, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Tomcat707

Tomcat707 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had my car for about a week. But today was the first time I had a chance to give it a good once over in direct sunlight. Everything was basically acceptable except the front wrap. You can see in the pics that when the light is low or dim or overcast sky, the front wrap looks fine. But in direct sunlight, it looks like the robot stopped painting one or two swipes too soon. The clear coat is smooth and glossy. But under the clear, the black did not cover adequately. Wondering if anybody has had a similar experience and if Dodge was cooperative in covering it under warranty? I am headed to the dealer first thing in the morning.

These are pics of where the front grill wrap meets the front of the hood.
    Dim light inside garage- Looks fine.
    IMG_1249.JPG

Direct sunlight-
    IMG_1248.JPG

2. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ours has a small palm print and a finger print on the passenger door. This only shows up if the sun is directly on it.
    I only noticed it while polishing the cat. The prints are in the paint and not in the clear coat.
    No we did not turn it in to dealer or warranty because we were afraid the touch up on the car would not match the original paint.

3. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The front of the hood on my old Jazz Blue Hellcat looked very similar... At certain angles you could see the front 6-8" were just "fogged" with color and then cleared...

My new B5 car is pretty nice paint wise, but the hood does appear to have some solvent popping issues going on... I may sand and buff it this winter...

4. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    mine only has the solvent popping issues under the hood area....had paint just fall off inside the trunk inside edge about the size of a pencil eraser on my 2011......

Dodge isnt known for their high quality paint.....ive heard nothing but complaints since i got on the forums back in 2011

my Sublime is good over all...some dirt, but you really have to look for it

5. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have professional background with painting--I can pick apart any paint job--careful what you ask for--repaints almost always are worse than the original work even if it has flaws..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Tomcat707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know that I did not buy the car for spectacular paint. I bought it because it looks good, has amazing power and is one of the most fun cars to drive I have ever owned. And...I think the interior is killer good. But, I still want everything to at least be covered with paint. If Dodge balks about it, which I hope they don't, I will have it done out of my own pocket at a body shop I know that does real good work. Either way, life is good. I do understand what you guys are saying about possibly ending up with a worse problem.

7. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just last week a fellow Hellcat owner wanted me to see how bad FCA did with his phantom black hood warranty repaint. Orange peel " big time" .
    I'm not saying it can't be done but over 30 years driving, I have NEVER seen a black paint "fix" that looked better than the problem.
    I would not let FCA touch my factory paint.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tomcat707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is scaring the heck our of me. I have had very good luck with the Mercedes/BMW/Cadillac body shop here. They had to completely re-do the tail gate on a new Escalade and it was done perfectly. However, it was silver. Maybe I should skip the Ford/Dodge shop and head to where I know does a good job. I will give it some thought.

9. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Body shop i dropped my cat off to replace the bumper got a replacement bumper that the fitment was worse. Not worried about the paint matching as FCA/SRT said they would make sure it's acceptable.

Couldn't care for re-sale value, I just want the fitment to be acceptable, paint to look decent for 2015 standards.

10. Tomcat707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Update... Dealer looked at it and agreed it was pretty jacked up. 1st step is to get estimates for the repairs. Then submit the pics and estimates to Dodge for review and an opinion on whether they will pay for it. So I ended up at the dealer's service department and 2 body shops today. Now waiting. Every time somebody new looked at it, they found more stuff to fix. o_O I am starting to wonder if it might be more fun to just stop thinking about paint and instead just try to blow the paint off of it. I am almost at 300 miles and I am ready to get over 500 so I can release the kraken.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dodge will approve painting the effected panels and not blend, You take a risk of the panel not matching when that happens but SRT told me for my bumper if the match is awful they will escalate to blending panels

12. kenhebe

kenhebe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pretty sure I told you a long time ago that replacing the bumper would not fix it ;)

13. Tomcat707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am placing my hope in the fact that I do have a really good body shop. They are Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac factory certified. They also have a Dodge dealer and are Dodge certified. They completely rebuilt the tail gate on my new Escalade and it was perfecto. Same experience with them on my wife's Mercedes. My Dodge dealer wants me to use a different body shop. UGH! Hassle. Confrontation. Dispute. Stress.

If my dealer will not yield here, I may have to go to a different Dodge dealer that will honor my warranty and allow me to use the body shop I want to use.
    Then if all else fails, I will just pay for the darn thing myself.

14. Tomcat707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I really love this car. The power plant is AWESOME. The interior materials, design and fitment are excellent. But... I must say, the paint really sucks. But take heart. Paint can be fixed. Since it is about $300K less than the next closest 700 hp car, I guess the hassle and expense are worth it.

15. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I understand having a problem with a blemish, Most folks on this forum can't understand why Im upset the tire shop put a chip in my new wheel and suggest I let it go and just drive the car. I asked the shop for a new wheel but insisted I have it fixed. The fix looks like poo but I can always buy a new wheel ( after I go after the shop) but you can't exactly buy a new front end. I would suggest just drive the car but trust me...I understand your pain as my wheel chip is what I see when I look at my car now.

I can't tell much from your photos but I personally would rater have a factory finish with a flaw than a repaint on a new car. I would look at it as Cindy Crawford's mole if you can. I say it's not perfect, it's a Dodge...but a 707 HP, Rock Star Dodge!

Im no expert but I know repaint can hurt a Carfax and value. I doubt the factory flaw hurts value but again, I can't see much wrong with your photos.

I say buy white as you can't see stuff like that...LOL
    Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015