Paint Issues NOT resolved. FCA don't care.

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by Bootstrap, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    image.jpg image.jpg Start of rant and hopefully informational message. Please Share.
    Bought a Hellcat Charger In early May and immediately saw issues with the paint, 5 very clear brown spots under the clear coat, 2 on the hood and 1 on the rear wing. Reported this to FCA - Fiat Chrysler Automobile - as soon as I got the car home. I have been chasing them ever since (close to three months now). Their solution under "warranty" is to take my $73,000 brand new factory car to a local body shop. I have stated that this will seriously de-value the car and that local body shop paint will not be as good as factory. I bought this car to take to shows, I know that paint from a local body shop will have the car people asking "did you crash it"?

I asked FCA to send painted factory parts to my local dealership to be swapped out so that the car remains FACTORY NEW. FCAs response was a very simple, NO, have it sprayed locally or have nothing.

I do know of others that have had issues with paint and been awarded new cars. I wasn't asking for that, just for factory painted parts.

BTW - the car is great to drive and is very fast, there is no denying that, but the issue is that the quality sucks, this is supposed to be one of their flagship cars and they can't even get that right.

I am asking that you share this message and with any luck someone with decency in FCA will see this and hopefully do the right thing. I'm not going to drop this - sorry. I'm going to post this everywhere until I'm noticed by FCA.

Some will think I'm being petty, however I challenge those people will have either perfect cars or have so much disposable income that this probably wouldn't be an issue for them, but this is 2 years of hard saving and $50,000 down payment for the "car of my dreams" only to have it turn into a nightmare generated by "big industry".

So the poor customer is basically asked to "bend over" - I wonder when the customer stopped being right and the customer's values and feelings not taken into consideration.

I bought a factory new car at great expense and because FCA couldn't be bothered to do a good job in quality control, me, the customer gets stuffed. I only hope they check the brakes, and moving mechanical parts in a better way, you never know.. Watch out everyone with a Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep.

Please share..........

FCA - any comments?

#FCAQUALITYISSUES #CHRYSLERBADPAINT #FCADONTCARE #FCACUSTORESDONTCOUNT

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to hear of your paint issues. I know we love our HC's and want them to look their best. I assume you have spoken with your dealer. What have they/dealer done to support you? If I had an issue like yours, I would certainly involve the TOP mgt at my dealership and even request that the local FCA rep get involved and take a personal look. Other than getting replacement parts from the factory, is there even an option to let a mutually agreed paint shop to do the repairs? Several on the forum have had paint issues and I seem to remember that a good shop can work miracles. Each of us has a tolerance level as to what we expect and what we will accept. Certainly your call. Keep us updated as you progress thru this frustrating situation.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bootstrap,

You have worked hard, saved and got the car of your dreams. My advice is get the best shop in your area to repaint the areas. There are always different paths to fix a problem. Insisting on one path is a problem when the other side says no. What are you options, litigate it? When the judge asked was there a remedy offered, and your reason for taking the other remedy is (basically) it is not going to be new, that position is not going to fly (in my opinion). My sage a(maybe jackass) advice is to have some flexibility and got it fixed. God, I sound like my wife. This is no good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Bootstrap

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I hear what you are saying, my argument is I paid for new, shouldn't I get new? If I wanted re-sprayed I could have saved and bought a damaged repaired one. Thanks for the feedback it's all taken..

5. Bootstrap

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Yes the dealer has been awesome, even been dealing with the owner, he is a true car guy and gets my frustration. Problem is that FCA customer care and even beyond customer care just are not car people, they are paid to find the cheapest / easiest solution for the company and don't have the passion most of us have.. It's a pity.

6. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just remember the classic unrestored Mopars, all had less than stellar paint, and those unrestored, original blemished cars are still very valuable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    shouldnt have accepted the car if you didnt accept the paint issues.....i inspect my cars heavily....i would not have accepted what you have...i would have walked away.....you accepted it....now suddenly you want a new car.....get it repainted and move on.....odds are your new paint will be better than the original......cars are in accidents all day long and get repaired to new condition.......ask the dealer not to car fax it and then you dont have to worry about lowering your cars value....in 20 years every HC will have had paint work done.....its not a million dollar car...its a charger

if you got a factory painted part the color may not match.....i would not assume it would....maybe it will, maybe it wont...

next time inspect your car better......i learned this lesson on my 1st car...i thought a new car was perfect.....no new car is perfect...some are worse than others though...ive seen new challengers with dents in them........locally Schlosshmans city has a green HC in the showroom with a horrible bumper match(i would not have accepted this car).....made me feel good about my slight front bumper mismatch after my accident

do what dodge tells you and move on...thats my vote

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If they caught that before shipping they would have repainted it like a shop would do and ship it. I'd paint it. It's easy and you will most Likely get a better color match.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if the dealership would have caught it they would have repainted it and you'd never have known....

in my business tub modules get damaged all day long....almost every new house i do they get a damaged tub...they fix them and sell them as new....no one ever knows......same with your car...no one will ever know

i think dodge is doing what any brand would do....ive dealt with ford and gm with issues.....sounds like Dodge is being nicer than Ford/GM was to me (i sued GM and won over an issue once)

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They are within their rights. When it comes to cosmetic issues they won't be pulling off fenders and such. These cars go down an assembly line and I challenge anyone to find one without paint flaws. Have it painted by a quality shop or just live with it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. zippy

zippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I had 2 huge door sags (basecoat on both pass doors of my charger).
    Originally I requested 2 new factory doors but FCA said they would only repaint.
    I finally gave in and had a good local bodyshop paint them

Honestly they now look better now than factory. Its fine.

I am in the auto OEM paint business, some aftermarket paints are actually better than factory. Maybe consider this

I realize the point that you shouldn't have to but it is what it is.

Once its done, you will feel better

Just my .02

zip

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. HecJuan

HecJuan Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had a charter bus back into my parked hellcat when it was <48 hours old. Caved in the front driver side quarter panel. Took the car to my local auto body shop. They got the replacement part and paint from dodge. Looks brand new. Can't even tell it's ever been in an accident or painted.

• Like Like x 1
  13. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    With a 105 mill fine they really won't care now:(

14. Link

Link Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I found a brown spot about the size of a penny on my roof when I did the first car wash. I was getting a ceramic coat put on and asked the guy there what he thought. He did a light sanding and buffed it out. Was just under the first clear coat apparently. Now you can't tell it ever had a problem. Sry no pics, havnt figured that part out yet, lol.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ?