Paint Issues

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Biscuit60140, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Biscuit60140

Biscuit60140 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello.... I know a lot has been made about paint issues on these cars but I'm curious to get some feedback from people here. I'm at my limits for wanting to deal with a new car with so many issues with the paint and this is my way to vent and look for some feedback based on what you have seen.

The car was delivered in January with a huge scratch about a foot long in the door jam and a paint imperfection, very noticeable IMO, on the drivers fender. I wrote Tim K. at Dodge, we exchanged a few emails and talked one day for about 20 minutes. Agreed at the time with him to have the jam repainted but leave the fender alone for fear it would never be right.

Fast forward to now and over the past 4-6 weeks I noticed some stuff on the lower parts of the fender on each side and even on the driver's door. I assumed it was something from the road but no matter what I tried it wouldn't come off. I had a detailer clay and wax it thinking it would be solved but looks like they are chips in the paint. I spoke in passing to my salesmen about it and was told they would just tell me that's called wear & tear and not covered by warranty. Not to mention a wheel has a chip as well.

I'm going to take it in next week and have them tell me for sure but if it isn't covered I may blow a gasket. I am already so upset by the poor paint job and it keeps getting worse. Not to mention no matter what I do or try there are several other scratches and a chip in the hood that while I think it's crappy the paint gave way so easy it's hard to directly blame them.

I included a few pictured from when I washed it this past weekend. No, that isn't dirt or anything, they are chips.

Not sure what to do, don't want to leave it to get worse, hate the idea of a new paint job, don't feel like losing money to trade it in and pay more just for a car that may have had a better time in the paint booth, not sure a Z06 would work for me (The only car that is close to a Hellcat IMO). UGH - So frustrating!!

Attached Files:

2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would call SRT, I contacted them about a paint issue on my front bumper, they said the have a ticket in for me, and take it to the dealer anytime I like, I told them I don't like the fact of my bumper being paint, them then said, take your time... when ever is good for me, don't even have to be this year...

3. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you drive for 7 months without stone guards on a car that surely needs them then want a new paint job because there are paint chips from stones?

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. Biscuit60140

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Hellcat1 - That will be my next step pending what the dealer response is!

FreightTrain - I guess if I drove through a gravel pit everyday at high speed or something like that maybe I would think I need stone guards but I don't. I have owned and driven tons of cars, never with stone guards, none that have chips like this. If what you are saying is true then every Hellcat, every car, would have the same problem because stone guards are not on 90% of cars out there. Not sure that your statement really holds up when you really think about it.

5. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It looks like you parked somewhere and people who drove by picked up rocks on the road it flew at your car.

6. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually I think it does apply. I know your pain because my quarters are inflicted with the same chips. Luckily for me I have Granite so it isn't quite so obvious. But I digress. If you have read these forums in research you would have noticed a common advice topic that came up on a regular basis. That topic was "splash guards are a MUST on these cars". The paint is thin from the factory and the design allows the tires to bounce everything off the paint before it settles.
    Do I wish the paint was tougher and / or thicker? YES but they haven't changed it since 2008 and I doubt they will now.
    As for the rest of your issues I feel for you and wish you the best of luck in your attempt to get it taken care of.
    But the splash guards or lack thereof, is unfortunately your regret.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ugh, I am really sorry to read about this! I know that they are not going to warranty the rims because those are rock chips. I have them on my rims, too. Just the way it is, that is why I am having my rims powder coated.

I know it is not what you want to hear, but the damage looks like chips from rocks being thrown up off the road by the tires. My HC is the third Challenger I have owned (2009 SRT8, 2013 392, 2015 HellCat), and on all of them I never got rock chip damage because the first mod I made to them was adding the splash guards. I have seen other Challengers at cruise-ins that have the same damage as your car, and they did not have splash guards. The splash guards are a must have with these cars, hands down. A good collision center can fix the paint for you, and it will look good as new. But get the splash guards, trust me ... you will be much happier with them.

April

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know EXACTLY what that is as I found the same exact issues on my 2010 RT.

Its paint damage from rocks and sand and other crap kicked up from the tires. I had it analyzed and thats what it was. You need to put on some mudflaps and paint protection fiolm. the tires get sticky when they are hot and gravel sticks to them and flings it right onto the places you see it.

sorry

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My 392 looked exactly the same way after 6 months. These tires are notorious for picking up rocks. That's why I got rock guards right away for my Charger. Other paint issues aside, you can't blame Dodge for the chips.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Everybody wants wide sticky tires and rock chips are what you get with that combo without splash guards and/or protection film. As for the wheels, I can't totally explain why they get nicks as my 09 SRT has nicks on the wheels and it has never been on gravel road nor have the wheels been near a curb. I think there is just more junk bouncing along the road than is evident.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Biscuit60140

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks guys for the replies, it does take some of the sting out of it knowing it's not just mine. Hearing what so many are saying about splash guards makes me think in another direction though.

To me, if this is an issue where we do nothing more than drive our cars like normal people and they still get damaged that makes it a design flaw on Dodges part. While I understand some people have learned prior to spending $65,000 on a car you need to run out to buy splash guards because of a poor design it isn't something the normal person thinks to do. If they are in fact "Needed" then they should have been built into the design. I don't care about spending what is probably $200 but it shouldn't come like this. I'd rather they charged $200 more when I bought it rather than a paint job plus the $200 6 months later.

I'm still going to push on this but the comments hear make me think it won't go much of anywhere. The Jazz Blues is dark yea but thank god it isn't black I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Might as well try to push a chain.

I have a 2011 GMC pickup that got several nicks before I could get the splash guards ordered and installed. Even with the splash guards it sometimes throws stuff off the front tires and nicks the paint over the rear wheel well on the bedside. Most people (we are the exception) just don't give a damn about this kind of issue. At least the manufacturers give us an option to add something to minimize the damage. Also I know some Challenger owners that think the splash guards are so ugly they would rather have sandblasted paint.

13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    why would dodge pay for your stone chips??

with the type of tires you have they toss stones up...thats why i got my clear bra

as far as wanting them to repaint....that should have been handled before you accepted your car....not months later...i wouldnt take possession of any car that wasnt 100%.....by accepting flaws you now own them....im sure they will repaint the scratch....and im not sure if i would have accepted it or not being in the door jam...i know id walk away from any new car w/ damage....but inside a door jam? id accept a blended repaint as long as it didnt go onto the exterior....

stone chip on the rim? my 2011 392 had some rim marks with 5 miles on it...i accepted it and moved on....after driving it 5,000 miles you will have chips and it wont make any difference...my HC had 2 chips by 500 miles....

14. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you sound a bit nutty to blame dodge because your car has stone chips....and they shouldnt build cars that can get chipped......Dodge doesnt decide what type of paint your car gets....the Government dictates what they can use and guess what? its better for environment, but chips easy.......Clear Bra is the only answer....those mud flaps wont stop the stone chips....it will help, but even if you had them you'd still have almost as many....my gt500 has the mud flaps from day 1...and the sides have thousands of micro chips on the bottom 1/4 of the door.....i finally clear bra'd it at 4,000 miles...if i had done it on day 1 id be golden.....but i never thought of blaming Ford.....nor should you blame Dodge....you bought a $65k car and couldnt spend $200 on mud flaps and $1,000 on a clear bra.......look in the mirror and stop blaming someone else......i put the clear bra on every car i own now......paint is not the same as it was a few years ago...its all water based and chips easy.......maybe Trump will bring back solvent paints??

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. rollieman

rollieman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Does your car have the summer tire or the standard all season?