Paint Issues

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by Puffy, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
  2. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think it varies from car to car. The paint on my car is very, very good (not perfect but no issues that I would even consider having addressed). I think it is the luck of the draw.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My paint is great and was on my 12, my Viper had good paint too but that is another topic.

• Like Like x 2
  4. scoutermike

scoutermike Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have quite a bit of dirt in mine. Anything more that one spec is too much. I've counted 10 already. Will be bringing it to the dealer soon for their thoughts.

5. Digger

Digger Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I definitely feel your pain...I had a 2013 srt 392 with 28 paint defects...refused delivery they said the would repainted it. Turned that down and ordered a replacement low and behold 7 defects and lived with if. Well 2015 arrives and I traded it on a hellcat challenger. It should b noted that one of the paint defects chipped due to normal hand washing and waxing. The paint is terrible believe what you read and hear.

Back to 2015...waited 3 months for my black hood and as feared received my cat with over 15 paint defects. Now Dodge has me by the b@lls and what am into do? I cannot replace the car because I don't want to wait 2 years. It is a shame I have to just live with it a car at this price the paint should be defect free. I too have runs in the paint as well as 2 small dents on the front passenger door.

I am attaching photos of some of the defects...feel free to reuse my post to inform potential buyers of the challenger to stay away. I am also putting together an email for srt higher ups so the are aware of the substandard quality srt is putting out. Orange peel did not show up in pics. View attachment 9137 View attachment 9138 View attachment 9139 View attachment 9140

As for the mechanicals of the hellcat the thing is sinister. I love it but I shouldn't have to sacrifice quality workmanship. Be it known that I am truly fortunate to have this vehicle as most others have not received theirs but after the awe wire off, I don't think I can just deal with the crappy paint job.

Photos attached...some if the numerous issues.

6. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's not just the Hellcats, it's other Chrysler products as well.
    I got a 2013 Ram Laramie in July 2013.
    Took it home and the next day went over it with a fine tooth comb, looking at my new truck.
    There were so many paint defects (paint smudges, runs, pimples, overspray, etc) that I was shocked.
    I couldn't understand how the truck actually made it past final inspection.
    I had to make a case with ISG, and fight to get a new 2014 truck ordered. They wanted to take the truck apart and repaint it at a paint shop. That's was laughable.
    I told them, maybe if you did it right the first time, I wouldn't have to have a Midas paint job.
    It took 3 months of emails and phone calls, finally threatening a law suit before they agreed to get me a new truck.
    They wanted me to pay the difference in price for 2014 truck over 2013. I said, absolutely not, you're problem to begin with, not my problem if 2014 is $1,200 more (price increased a bit and new truck had an additional option I demanded).
    Well they finally agreed to that too.

My neighbor told me he stopped buying Chrysler products several years ago because of bad paint issues all the time.

Luckily, I only found 2 small paint pimples in my Hellcat. So I felt I got lucky.

But again, this is NOT just a Hellcat issue.
    Chrysler NEEDS to overhaul their paint process, and make sure their paint areas are more dust free to avoid the paint pimples. They also need better inspections.
    If a vehicle has more than a couple paint issues, or any single paint issue thats easily seen by eye in an area that is noticeable from anywhere but looking up at a car, it needs to be discounted from the factory.

7. Digger

Digger Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe a class action lawsuit, my friend suggested starting one? I'm game but know nothing about stuff like that.

8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i have dirt, but you have to be anal and really search...im sure i could count 10 specs+

its the worst paint job as far as dirt that ive ever owned......im the happiest with Chevy paint....no dirt on any of them ive owned

9. Digger

Digger Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I could live with specks...anything that casts a shadow is too big in my opinion.

10. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    specs dont bother me either.....when you have to search for them im willing to let them go....

11. Lurch251

Lurch251 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with most people on here that if we're paying $60k plus on a car the paint should be flawless. One or two small defects might be acceptable IF they can guarantee it won't start chipping away with washes etc. Or guarantee that they will repair it.

I plan on looking over my car inch by inch when I get it. If it takes all day so be it. I'm not a guy that has this kind of money just laying around to accept low quality on a high quality car. Yes it's not a BMW, Ferrari or Lamborghini but they have hyped this car up so much and have hundreds if not thousands waiting for it they should get it done right.

Yes I want my car right now but if it gets delayed a week due to the factory repainting or fixing the paint defects so be it. Would rather have that then getting it and having to hassle with fighting to get it fixed.

12. TOPDAWG

TOPDAWG Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've already had two dirt specs flake off, and now they are exposed pin holes. Overall, disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. chrisinokla

chrisinokla Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  14. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    At first I thought that I had no paint issues on Dante, but over time I found 3 dirt blemishes. When I went to get an estimate for painting the spoiler, I pointed out the spots I had found, we went over Dante together, and found 9 dirt blemishes total. When I dropped Dante off this past Monday to be painted, I had put little pieces of painter's tape to mark the dirt blemishes, and they through and wet sanded/buffed them out. Dante looks fabulous! Cannot tell there was any blemishes anywhere at all. They removed the spoiler and painted it Redline to match the rest of the car, and got rid of the dirt spots ... all for $85.00. Well worth it to me!

I know that there are little issues here and there on every car, but I surely do hope that the Brampton facility gets their new paint shop SOON! The paint issues on Dante were an easy fix, but one that I should not have had to deal with in the first place. Other than that, I have no complaints with Dante so far.

April

15. chrisinokla

chrisinokla Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't have and paint problems. But I do have several panel aliment issue's. Especially with the aluminum hood And front fenders. Will warranty cover those issues??