Paint Protection from dealer?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by Confuzed2, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I picked up my Hellcat the other day, the dealer mentioned that it came with some kind of paint protection....he made it sound like it was a teflon based product. He also said I need to take the car in every three years so it can be re-applied. Anyone heard of this? Is it OK to wax and detail over this stuff?

I'm not a pro detailer or anything, but I normally keep my cars pretty clean and use Turtle wax ICE detailer (and the ICE wax once a year) - any compatibility issues with this paint protection and ICE products? Just curious what it is...

• Like Like x 1
  2. darin skelly

darin skelly Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Suggest no and get CQUARTZ finest. And 3m on front if You really worried.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  3. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not worried really...I've heard of the invisible stuff that gets sprayed on the front, and I don't think this is it. I think the stuff they applied is more of a wax type product, and wondering what these dealers commonly apply.

4. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have no idea what they put on your car without the name, But CQuartz and other stuff is typically good for 10 years in non-harsh environments. Sounds like the dealer is just trying to ring you for money

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Find out exactly what was applied and then make sure you get detailed written instructions on how to care for whatever it was that was used. Was there an extra charge? Where you charged for it up and beyond the agreed upon price for the car? We have all heard of dealers adding things like paint protection, corrosion undercoatings, fabric Scotchguards and nitrogen filled tires. They charge ridiculous prices for these extras, which in my opinion are totally unneeded. If they can't give you exact details on what was applied, I would be suspicious. I also use Turtle Wax ICE products and love them. The car wash and wax/polish products work great and I have used them for several years now with excellent results:)

6. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No extra charge for the protection...which surprised me actually. I'm more used to the finance guy talking me into paint protection, undercoating, 3M scotchgard and the like....but I made it fairly clear that it was nothing personal, but I wasn't interested whatsoever in all the "extras" and I don't have an issue taking care of my cars that I don't DD. but the dealer did mention that it was applied and would need to be re-applied in 3 years....not 10. But- they did get me with the nitrogen filled tire thing....it's almost standard around these parts. They got me on the 392 I had too....

Guess I'll have to go back and ask them what it is that they applied...I don't see anything in my paperwork about it. Might be that they just applied a coat of cheap wax....

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ResumeSpeed

ResumeSpeed Platinum Member Agent 707

Donate to this user:
    Donate money to this user
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me..."

8. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That IMO is dealer snake oil stuff like " fabric protector" Gosh, a $3 can of 3M scotch guard will do the trick but SOME dealers like to show that as an additional charge for some great markup!
    If you plan on using your own wax/ polish/ sealant then wash with Dawn ( to remove any snake oil) then apply product of your choice.

9. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'll bet real $$ it's some basic nano wax you can buy for $12/bottle @ Wal-mart ! Dealers here all try to pass that crap off to buyers so they can ladle on an additional "bump sticker" of $900 - $1200 for nitro tire fill, "environmental protection pkg", VIN etching etc. All totally useless & worth maybe $150 - maybe :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow...this is a tough crowd! lol. Guys/Gals....the nitrogen filled tire thing was a 45 dollar up charge....certainly not 900 bucks!! I would NEVER accept that kind of an up charge for a few pounds of nitrogen. Yes...I paid for the nitrogen...big deal.

Im sure this is a hot topic because many others here have had these same things added on to the price of their car....but they'll never admit it. Instead, they'll bash on anyone else that brings it up. They added 45 bucks to my bill....I can deal with it.

The topic was about this paint protection stuff that was applied to the car...which there was NO CHARGE for BTW. Let's not go on a witch hunt here. I can only assume it's what MikeD1 is saying....some cheap Walmart wax they apply to all cars.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection of my paperwork, I seems I DID PAY for this....it's not Paint Protection...it's PAINT SEALANT....wax. Common dealer add-on for more $$. Guess from this point on, I need to make it very clear that I would rather wax my own car instead of having someone else that could care less do it for me at a premium price. I may as well not bother with washing it off with Dawn...I'll just buff out all the smudges they left behind and deal with it. -And the Nitrogen filled tires was an additional 40 bucks, not 45. So bash away...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  11. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i think this is what they used.. sounds identical and fits everything i just learned about what i recently did. i also learned it is better to apply after the first year.

Welcome to PPS Technology