Paint protection

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by quakejake, Jul 2, 2016.

1. quakejake

quakejake Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For those of you who have used 3M clear bra or expel film paint protection how much does that cost and does it really work

2. mrcaio

mrcaio Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Used it on my 2012 SRT and my wife's SRT (both challengers) and it's still on there. The cars are our daily drivers. She has 60k miles on hers and I have about 45k on mine. We live in South Florida so the sun is plenty string down here and tons of large bugs. Cars in the past always end up with rock chips and stains from bugs. The noses on these 2 cars are perfect. The stuff even saved the paint from a hubcap that came flying out of a truck on I-95 and broke my front spoiler. It impaled itself in the plastic spoiler and wedged itself against the nose. Zero paint damage! My wife recently got hit with a piece of ply wood on a long trip down 95. Pushed her lower grill in and left a piece embedded in the spoiler. The grill snapped back into place and there was no paint damage at all on the front of the car. Some scuffs on the clear bra that went away after cleaning and sitting in the sun.

The clear bra has not yellowed in the 4 years it's been on either car. Hers is black, mine is tungsten gray. They are garage kept at night, but again they are daily drivers and are parked outside when we are at work.

The only complaint I have is that the edges can get some wax buildup which shows on dark colors. A good detailing takes care of that though.

I think we paid $600 for each car? Nose, front of hood, front of fenders and mirrors.

The stuff definitely works and will be doing it again when we get new ones.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mopar_Convert

Mopar_Convert Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I received a quote of $1800 to do the front clip and behind rear wheels. Sounded pricey so I have not pulled the trigger. This is in San Diego.

4. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yes it works 100%

i believe it was approx $1200 for bumper/ 1/3rd hood(all you need), lower 1/4 on the sides, door handles

Expel is what i chose.....be vary of who you pay to install.....the first guy i chose and did my pickup truck with did a horrible job and had to go back 3x.....it peeled, bubbled, etc....i found another spot since but just decided to leave it rather than go back for trip #4.....the guy i had do my GT500 and HC did a good job...still had him come back and tweak 1 spot....if your looking for absolute perfection you will not find it...if your looking for 98% you will be find.....

liquid glass leaves white residue on the edge...so if thats your wax you will have to change

Ziano works well w/ it

you just spent $65k on a car....whats $1200 to protect it from stone chips.....i put Expel on every vehicle i own from this point forward...it was explained to me when they switched to water based paints that the paint doesnt hold up well...it chips easy

the lines barely show if you do 1/3rd hood

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheBeaSSt

TheBeaSSt Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had the front clip, full fenders, mirrors, door cups/edges for about $1000. None on the satin hood though. It's worth it, it works. It's also much easier to get bugs off or wipe down those areas without worrying about scratches. The lines are pretty hard to see, though not really if you get wax built up in them.

There is a difference between quality and shitty work though. Depending on the install job it could look like crap.

• Like Like x 1
  6. HEMIMOPAR

HEMIMOPAR Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Has anyone used Llumar's PPF? The shop I go to here in northern VA has a plotter sized wide bed cutter that custom cuts the PPF for nearly any year, make and model. I got quoted a sale price of $599.00 to cover partial hood, L/R fender, full front bumper and side mirrors. Seems competitive with others on here, but I wasn't aware Llumar was also in paint protection. As long as the quality is on par, I'm ok with this approach. They were installing it on a Taurus this AM when I went in and I had to really look close to see the line! It's warrantied for 5 yrs.

7. MoparGuy1

MoparGuy1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I paid $1,100 for Expel on the front clip, 1/3 hood, A pillars, rocker panels, front edge of the roof and mirrors. It's honestly been a mixed bag for me. I had the car done in CQuartz Finest before the wrap. We live in SW Florida so obviously bugs are an issue. Before the wrap I used a pressure washer to clean the car and the bugs came right off, no issue. After the wrap I have to scrub and sometimes use bug remover.

The installation was great and you have to look hard to see the Expel on Torred. However next time I think I would use CQuartz and just leave it at that.

8. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had Suntek film and CQuartz Finest applied at a shop that does both. They always put the film on first and then add the CQuartz on top of the film. It seemed odd to me but they said that it's the correct method. I only had the film applied to the front facia, door sills and under the door handles.

9. Teampoorboys

Teampoorboys SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am getting the expel done next Tuesday behind the front tires on the rockers this is going cost $400.00 I did not want to put the front splash guards on I am going to have the rear splash guards install next time I go to the dealership I had the car done with Opti-Coat Pro plus the installed recommended I put the expel on the front clip but I have the strips on the granite crystal metallic he wants to take off the strips put the expel on then put the strips back on I am not sure I want to try this

10. WNY Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Before I had the CQuartz Finest applied, the installer asked if I was thinking about adding stripes to my car. He claimed that if I installed stripes on top of the CQuartz, they may not stick on the car. They had an experience in the past where they applied CQuartz to a business van and then the customer put a Vinyl Graphic sign over the CQuartz and the vinyl sign would not stick. It blew off the van on the highway.
    I assume that is the same reason why they don't apply protection film over CQuartz.

11. why2kmax

why2kmax SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    True Emblems will stick but graphics and stripes wont and it will likely give problems trying to put 3m or xpel over cquartz or any ceramic coating. If you are going to do the coatings, do all your stripes, emblems xpel etc FIRST then Cquartz over it.

12. Teampoorboys

Teampoorboys SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the information I had the Opti-Coat done on the strips at the same time they did the paint (whole car) the installer is telling me it is not a problem to put the expel on over the Optic-Coat he will guarantee it so I let you know how this turns out here are a couple of pictures after the Opti-Coat

Attached Files:

13. WNY Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This photo shows how the CQuartz creates a deep glossy finish.
    20160924_185811-1.jpg
    This picture would have been better if the overhead wire didn't get reflected on the hood and windshield. As you can see, I removed my SRT emblem and windshield wipers because they add unnecessary weight.:D

14. HEMIMOPAR

HEMIMOPAR Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    20170128_111141.jpg Well she's in for CTX ceramic film and PPF today and low and behold an older sister is in for work too!

15. mdmoore23

mdmoore23 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have suntek on the front bumper, mirrors, and door edges. It was around $550. I will never have another new vehicle without paint protection at least on the front bumper. It definitely works, and is cheaper than repainting.