Paint protection

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by quakejake, Jul 2, 2016.

1. quakejake

quakejake Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For those of you who have used 3M clear bra or expel film paint protection how much does that cost and does it really work

2. mrcaio

mrcaio Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Used it on my 2012 SRT and my wife's SRT (both challengers) and it's still on there. The cars are our daily drivers. She has 60k miles on hers and I have about 45k on mine. We live in South Florida so the sun is plenty string down here and tons of large bugs. Cars in the past always end up with rock chips and stains from bugs. The noses on these 2 cars are perfect. The stuff even saved the paint from a hubcap that came flying out of a truck on I-95 and broke my front spoiler. It impaled itself in the plastic spoiler and wedged itself against the nose. Zero paint damage! My wife recently got hit with a piece of ply wood on a long trip down 95. Pushed her lower grill in and left a piece embedded in the spoiler. The grill snapped back into place and there was no paint damage at all on the front of the car. Some scuffs on the clear bra that went away after cleaning and sitting in the sun.

The clear bra has not yellowed in the 4 years it's been on either car. Hers is black, mine is tungsten gray. They are garage kept at night, but again they are daily drivers and are parked outside when we are at work.

The only complaint I have is that the edges can get some wax buildup which shows on dark colors. A good detailing takes care of that though.

I think we paid $600 for each car? Nose, front of hood, front of fenders and mirrors.

The stuff definitely works and will be doing it again when we get new ones.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mopar_Convert

Mopar_Convert Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I received a quote of $1800 to do the front clip and behind rear wheels. Sounded pricey so I have not pulled the trigger. This is in San Diego.

4. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yes it works 100%

i believe it was approx $1200 for bumper/ 1/3rd hood(all you need), lower 1/4 on the sides, door handles

Expel is what i chose.....be vary of who you pay to install.....the first guy i chose and did my pickup truck with did a horrible job and had to go back 3x.....it peeled, bubbled, etc....i found another spot since but just decided to leave it rather than go back for trip #4.....the guy i had do my GT500 and HC did a good job...still had him come back and tweak 1 spot....if your looking for absolute perfection you will not find it...if your looking for 98% you will be find.....

liquid glass leaves white residue on the edge...so if thats your wax you will have to change

Ziano works well w/ it

you just spent $65k on a car....whats $1200 to protect it from stone chips.....i put Expel on every vehicle i own from this point forward...it was explained to me when they switched to water based paints that the paint doesnt hold up well...it chips easy

the lines barely show if you do 1/3rd hood

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheBeaSSt

TheBeaSSt Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had the front clip, full fenders, mirrors, door cups/edges for about $1000. None on the satin hood though. It's worth it, it works. It's also much easier to get bugs off or wipe down those areas without worrying about scratches. The lines are pretty hard to see, though not really if you get wax built up in them.

There is a difference between quality and shitty work though. Depending on the install job it could look like crap.

• Like Like x 1