Paint Repairs Will Be Documented And Viewable To Public

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Shadow, May 21, 2015.

1. Shadow

Shadow Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are several threads regarding bad paint and dealer repairs to same, including my thread regarding a bad quarter panel on a Phantom Black HC Challenger now sitting at the dealer lot (delivery not yet taken on car). This morning, the Chrysler area rep is viewing my car to decide if Chrysler will pay for the repair if I demand it be done by a professional shop in lieu of the dealer. I just asked them a question that will be important to anyone who is an avid car collector or expects to someday sell their HC for anything more than a depreciated standard car with a repair history. My question was: Regardless of who repairs the car, if Chrysler pays for the repair will there be a record of the repair posted to the VIN that is viewable by the public? Answer:

"Yes, it will be on record in Chryslers system. Any Chrysler dealer can access the history and see what was done."

"I do not know how Carfax works but I would think it will end up on there as well"

I am now faced with the decision of accepting this car "as is" and paying for the repair myself, or declining the car altogether. For those who do not care, I can see your point as well; but, I do care about the future value of the car and this disturbs me greatly that Chrysler can produce a flawed automobile and then record the repair to the VIN, leaving me holding the 'repaired' car bag. I am very Pissed Off!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    FCA may give you a cheque in lieu of a repair, doesn't hurt to ask them

3. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Carfax is only what is submitted to them, so chrysler can put whatever on their internal system aslong as it isn't reported to carfax. Certain dealerships report to carfax (Services and detailing work), insurance companies or states depending on local laws with accident claims file through carfax.

That's why certain carfaxes are missing info or have so much info depending on if your dealer or service guy submits the records to carfax.

Internal system won't affect the value as only dealerships can view it, and they will just look at the carfax, because when they take it in as a trade or you sell it the only thing people want to see is a carfax.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tannehill

Tannehill Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Not quite sure it will show on CarFax. My 2012 Jeep had $7k of damage done to it when rear ended and after a year it was still not on CarFax (I went through normal process, their insurance paid my damages). Unfortunately for whoever owns it now, they probably don't know. That, along with the other 2012 defects is why I dumped it before it came on CarFax and I still got a premium trade in number toward the 2014. I do feel a bit of guilt for not mentioning it.

5. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you have a good relationship with your dealership, they can opt out of reporting to Car Fax. I had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that was broadsided by a herd of deer. Damage to left front fender, front door, rear door, rear quarter, rear bumper and roof. $14+ K damage to repair. I traded the car and ordered a 2014. I got a great trade in price and EP on the new purchase. It never showed on Car Fax. Another example is a Viper that I totaled a number of years back. It was sold at salvage auction. Car Fax reported "minor front end damage" and didn't reveal the salvage title. IMHO, Car Fax is a joke! If you are negotiating with FCA and your dealership, my suggestion is to keep it calm, diplomatic an professional. You likely will get your repairs done without any record that would alter your investment value down the road. If you act like a jerk, they are likely to do little or nothing for you. Hope it works out quickly and conveniently for you!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bossharp

Bossharp Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would take pic's of what's wrong and put it with all the other documents and paperwork you save on the car. But if you are stressing a lot over this just pass on it. Especially if you are paying a big administration fee over MSRP or the Cat is not optioned just the way you want it.You have a lot of time invested in it so that is a consideration too..

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. shaystoy

shaystoy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with gts_2001, car fax is a joke. When it first came out it was probably somewhat reputable but I wouldn't believe anything now. I wrecked the whole front end of my jeep wrangler. Had it repaired through insurance at my cousins body shop. Of course my cousin wasn't going to report it to car fax and the insurance never did either.

8. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Most folks who consult Carfax are looking for accidents and/or past structural damage. I know someone who had a small rock.....or could have been a ricochet from small arms fire as he does live in a funky neighborhood...... crack a headlight on the freeway. Dealer did the repair. Of course it wasn't a HC.

9. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why will the big wigs not go look at the paint jobs that there quality control it letting go out the door it is a bunch of BS . Most body shops would go out of business with The mediocre job they put out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Shadow

Shadow Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Update; The Chrysler area rep has agreed to pay for an outside professional shop to do the repairs. BUT, it will be recorded against the VIN. They won't budge on the decision...which just isn't right for a new car.
    They will not simply issue a check. The dealer will not discount the car (an A8 car sold at MSRP, I wonder why not!). The owner of the dealership chain is putting a new HC away in his collection for an investment. I bet he wouldn't want a repair recorded on his cars VIN....just saying. I wasn't a jerk with them, I own my own business so I can be nice when I need to be, and I've been very nice about it, but firm in what I expect and wish to happen. So, I can accept it and eat a grand of paint repairs to keep the VIN record clean, or I can let Chrysler pay for it and have a VIN with history of a paint repair. I was going to put this car up and let it be a collector car, but now...I don't know what to do about it. Still deciding I guess. Like the other guy with the paint issue said on his thread, sure has taken the wind out of the sail for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok leave it alone. People try real hard nowadays to put orange pill in their pait when they're restoring a 1970s challenger. Save someone the work !

12. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Shadow, if you are planning for it to be a top notch and flawless collector car, aren't going to drive it and have other toys to keep you occupied, bail on it and order another for 2016. If you are planning on enjoying it and will be driving it on a regular basis, let the repair happen, take the cat and make it an unforgettable summer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    ^^^^agrees with Snappy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would pass on the car and get a 16
    I put mine in a ditch on day one--ice
    And have a new painted bumper
    I damaged it. U didn't yet your car is going to suffer the same resale issue. Why would u pay $70k for a damaged car that will be difficult to sell someday and most likely be worth thousands less
    They should sell u the car at a invoice for the screwing your in for. A true collector will not buy your car someday. And your paying full price for that privilege Wipe ur butt on their deal and toss it in their face

15. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pretty sure repaints haven't hurt prices for restored '71 HemiCudas.....just saying.

It's a reach, yes, but really paint repair isn't that big of a deal. Cars sell all the time with paint repairs, how many Vipers out there have had their front bumper repainted? Lots. You can extrapolate this to any vehicle.

Sounds like you want to buy and let it sit (not good but whatever, different discussion). So it'll be a low-mile car, these will be desirable cars in the near future and way down the line. A paint repair isn't going to amount to a hill of beans IMO.

• Like Like x 1