Paint

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Salessurvivor, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Salessurvivor

Salessurvivor Rookie Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    After having my baby about a month and dealing with lots of rainy weather, I set her up at a local shop for a new car prep detail and CQuartz treatment. My guy calls me and tells me the front bumper looks like someone tried to sand/buff through the paint! Said there are other areas all over the car that looks like someone that didn't know what they were doing got a hold of it and went to work. He wouldn't do anything else to it. Told me to take it back to the dealer. After searching on here I have read posts about bad paint and the wavy bumper. Picking her up today to get the walk around and see exactly what he's talking about. He makes it sound bad enough that I should have noticed it, but I never saw anything that caught my eye. Have you guys seen this sort of thing? Is he seeing actual damage from an incompetent person, or is this the "bad paint" everyone keeps talking about? Hopefully photos to follow once I pick her up.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  2. Q5Dart

Q5Dart Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have smooth spots all throughout both doors on my challenger. Looks like someone tried to wet sand dirt out of the clear coat. No worries though!

3. Kty-Kty

Kty-Kty Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the black hood and the robots did a bad spray job two missed final passes right down the middle of hood, probably gonna take it to my brother so its done rite. I got lucky on body paint very little orange peel. There was a torrid red 15 next to me at dealership that had orange peel from tail to nose on both sides w.t.f. Quality control???

4. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My guy worked on 5 or 6 Hellcats and said they were all painted pretty poorly. But he said he's seeing it across many manufacturers.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What this forum thinks: its a 70k car but its a dodge so this is ok

What you should think: Get it fixed, Just expect a fight from chrysler not wanting to pay enough to fix it. I'm going through the process.

6. TF-ENT

TF-ENT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I am going through this as well with my Charger Hellcat. Only the dealer has stated that the car was reshot in several areas and the Chrysler rep is coming with a paint gauge on Monday to check the whole car. Orange peel is bad as well. I'll make them reshoot the whole car if I have to. At minimum they have to reshoot the roof and both rear quarter panels. I won't be backing down on this with Chrysler.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you can only see paint imperfections under bright spotlights that are held at just the right angle then live with it...if you can see it in normal conditions then certainly try and get it fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    it is a production paint job and FCA seems to have pretty low grade paint process.

My car is not bad but there are issues, I just accept it an move on.

When I restored my 70 convertible I had a really nice paint job put on it. Its too perfect and it cost me "show points" ( like I care). the old timers say they never used to paint them that good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CubeMan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had the same issue with my rear bumper. There was a stain on the clearcoat on the rear bumper. The body shop that the dealer used said "Just deal with it, its a dodge and you don't want to respray". I went to a detail shop and tried to compound it out and it didn't work.

I like how they always decide for me, In the end i said wet-sand it down and they said no. So i just documented the damage and opened a claim via DriveSRT. Had my body shop wet sand it a little and it was gone without compromising the clear.

It's usually the dealer who refuses to help, They like selling 60-70k cars and sometimes with 10-20k markups but don't want anything to do with you after the fact.

10. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    very sad but true statement:mad::mad::mad:

11. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My question. My car is at a dealer 450 miles from me. I haven't seen it yet. I plan to fly in and drive it home, hopefully next weekend. I've told them not to touch the car, so it's locked in a bay with 3 miles on it, all the plastic still on it, etc. When I get there, if I find bad paint spots, can I drive it home, then file the complaint issues with a local dealer? I can right? Doesn't have to be the dealer I purchased it from correct? I don't want to fly down there, discover a bunch of problems, then have to leave it there, fly home, wait for them to fix it, fly back, still be unhappy, repeat process over and over.

I also want the CQuartz package, he's the one that told me to not have the dealer even wash or prep it. I will let them spray it off (rain scum from the truck ride) and I'm sure that won't clean it up very well, but no touching it with a rag or towel of any kind.

12. CubeMan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've had a dealer refuse to take on the warranty work, but will gladly sell me an oil change contract. A dealer could outright refuse to service you all together. Your at their mercy, which is dumb.

13. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't see how they can do that. I think a call to DriveSRT would be in order. Any dealer in the country should service these vehicles (well an SRT certified dealer).

14. CubeMan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They can refuse non essential warranty work, They can't refuse if your car is disabled mechanically but if you go for interior rattles or body/paint issues they can say no. Service overall they can just say "nah" and if SRT complains they will just book you in 3 months from now to make the service time useless for you.

Google a few corvette owner forums, They dealt with markups and shitty dealers so they buy else where then find out the their local dealer will refuse to service the car or book service dates far in the future as penetly for not buying from them.

15. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine is full of orange peel and if you open the trunk its terrible inside there..

I can live with the trunk, but the orange peel is bad..