Phantom Black vs Pitch Black

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by cal45, Nov 27, 2014.

1. cal45

cal45 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know the difference between the two is that the Phantom Black has the metal flake, and Pitch Black is solid. As I have only seen pictures of Phantom Black, is it safe to say that Phantom Black appears lighter and at times like a dark charcoal in sunlight? Also, is Phantom Black any easier to keep clean as opposed to the Pitch Black?

I know fellow member "the Dude" just received his so please feel free to comment here...please ;)

2. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got to admire both, in person, lately. Yes, the Phantom Black has a depth about it, you can see down into the paint and the little flecks of metal flake make it more like looking into the depth of the cosmos. The Pitch Black is more of a standard gloss black. So it will show up every little speck of lint or drop of dirt, and be difficult to keep clean. But I think Phantom Black will be easier, as there is already that slight variation in the coloration & depth, due to the tri-coat process, so small flecks of lint probably would be overlooked unless somebody is really scrutinizing it under the lights.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Helldog

Helldog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pitch black is cheaper to start with and likely cheaper to repair. Good luck getting the correct metallic dispersion should there ever be any collision repair. Pitch black would be my choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fascinating. I had not thought of that, at all. I bet a standard glossy jet black will always be easy to replicate, and you may well be correct that a more complex tri-coat process might result in irregular coloration or a variation in the metal-flake dispersion, should future paint work be needed, just as you suggested Helldog, good point. That seems like it would make sense.

5. cal45

cal45 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well, I never gave it a thought about the difficulty of matching paint after a repair - even though I agree, Phantom Black is a difficult match. I'm looking at more day to day upkeep - as choosing a color on how easily it can be matched in case you have an accident is not a heavy deciding factor on choosing a color for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a phantom black 300s,, I have owned it over a year, and gone through the worst Michigan winter in 130 years,, still looks perfect...the phantom black is alot more forgiving then pitch black., if I had a garage queen,,a car only driven in nice days,, and was never going to see snow or heavy rain..I would do pitch black, but I wash my car a few times a week, pitch black will have swirls,, and once the sun hits it,, that's not pretty

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree. I have been able to avoid crashes, in most of my vehicles, despite being surrounded by terrible drivers (I live in a border state, many on the road here in AZ don't abide by our immigration & driving & other such pesky laws and customs, and nobody bothers them or complains or they get called racist, so it's every man for himself, --drive defensively or feel the impact!) I'll take pretty much any color, if that means getting a 6-speed Hellcat soon (instead of if, or whenever) but if I have my choice it's the lovely Phantom Black pearl tri-coat!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. redkey

redkey Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    for those familiar with the 2012 Centennial Editions of Vettes with their Carbon Flash Metallic and who have seen Phantom Black too, I'd be interested to hear how they compare. I'm only bringing up the CFM Vette example here because it'll be a long time before I can see a PhB Challenger and I might go for that over Pearl White if it does indeed have the silverish flake at certain angles as the CFM does. Some people don't like CFM as compared to the gloss Black because they say it looks dirty. Just click back and forth on the Dodge.com configurator and you can see that PhB has a bit of a dark grey tint as compared to the darker Pitch Black.

and for those who've seen a Pearl White Challenger, I'm curious if it has that mother-of-pearl rainbow hue in the flake, the way the old Mitsu 3000 used to rather than for example the way the Caddy Escalade doesn't.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. cal45

cal45 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks, hellcat1 - I was hoping that someone that has/had the Phantom Black would respond. As I have a black Camaro now (that would be considered pitch black), can't beat the color when its clean but it is a lot of effort to keep it that way.

10. cal45

cal45 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm still bouncing around on color: White, Pitch Black, B5 Blue (when it becomes available), and after seeing the below picture and hearing that this may be a tad easier to maintain over Pitch Black, Phantom Black just entered my list.
    Phatom Black.jpg

11. redkey

redkey Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    X-Men you forgot to mention the snowbirds, a much more pesky obstacle. I used to live in Yuma. only place worse in winter was South Florida.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  12. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I looked at a Pearl White lately, and it's pretty, but it's just the standard tiny metalflakes, I didn't notice any of that awesome mother-of-pearl rainbow effect. If I did, I'd have picked that color. Instead, I chose Phantom Black, but frankly, all those colors look nice, including the Jazz Blue and Redline red..

13. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Although there are a lot of snowbirds, in my general region, I don't get too many, right here in my part of Mesa, and when I do encounter them, they are more predictable, I've found; And almost a hundred percent more likely to remain at the scene when they plow into another vehicle. Additionally, most have insurance, another stark difference!

14. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have an '09 Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat Challenger SRT8. In artificial lighting and on overcast days, it looks like the old black lacquer that the originals were offered in. In direct sunlight, the metal-flake and pearl really stand out. The car is six years old and has 25,200 miles on it. It hasn't been neglected or abused by any means, but it's been on the road, driven fairly regularly, and it has it's little blemishes and tiny chips and nicks from normal use. Still, when I clean it up and take it to car shows, people frequently ask what color the paint is, and who painted it for me. They're often speechless when I tell them the paint is factory.
    ANY black car is a bear to keep clean. They show every nick, chip, speck of dust, scratch, and swirls from cleaning. They require constant attention to maintain a nice finish. That said, and having had a matching '06 Charger R/T to take care of as well (my ex's first new car), nothing looks as good, mean, bad, or intimidating as a black muscle car (IMHO). The only other color that comes close (for me) is Gunmetal Gray.
    Yes, if you have any damage that needs to be repaired on a pearl or metal-flake black car, the entire panel needs to be repainted to match (you can't get the metal-flake and pearl dispersion to match the original paint by over-spraying). However, minor issues such as chips and small scratches are less visible on the metal-flake / pearl paint, so it's a "maintenance" trade-off to me.
    Chrysler also offered a Blackberry Pearl a few years ago. VERY nice color, with "berry colored" metal-flake in the paint (made it look like it had a reddish-purple hue in the clearcoat).
    So having had a great deal of experience with the time and effort in keeping a black car looking good, I ordered my Hellcat in Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl anyway.
    Call me a sucker for punishment..... but it looks so mean when it's clean!

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Excellent Post!
    One of my acquaintances has a Challenger with the Blackberry pearl paint: Wow, that paint job looks like an expensive 'show paint' job; I wish it was available on the Hellcats. He loves his Challenger, and the paint color. I think the granite paint they have for the Hellcat is the closest to the gunmetal grey color, and looks pretty badass, as do both blacks. Even the billet silver looks rather intimidating, on the Hellcat, where on most cars I think silver looks boring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1