Pirelli balance reference points

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Warson, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Warson

Warson Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My 2016 arrived the other day with the P Zero Nero A/S tires (dealer order).

I purchased P Zero Summer from Tire Rack today and noticed there are no red dots on the outer sidewall to match up with the yellow stickers on the wheels, only yellow dots on the inner sidewall. The red dots are matched up when mounting to reduce the amount of wheels weights and run-out. With no red dots, I have no reference point.

Any idea if the yellow dots on the inner sidewall serve the same purpose (heavy/light) spot? Any credible insight appreciated.

I emailed Pirelli, but new tires are getting mounted tomorrow...

TIA

Warson
    IMG_0117.jpg

2. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I can't answer your question but if you have the tires road force balanced, the process should involve rotating the tire on the wheel (if necessary) to match the set as best possible. Good luck with the Pirelli summer tires. I had balance issues from the get go with mine (3 out of 4 wouldn't balance properly on a Hunter road force machine). 4 new tires delivered covered under warranty and 1 out of 4 was out of spec. Got another one and all is well. When these are worn, I will definitely be considering a different manufacturer.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree the Hunter Road Force Balancer will find the spot. The Red spot is just a factory index mark and that machine will do the same thing in helping to locate it.

4. Warson

Warson Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks so far, appreciate the insight.

Emailed Pirelli and got a response in 45 minutes, unfortunately I just saw their reply now and they are asking for the DOT number first. Ill report what I find, more than likely Monday at this point.

Warson

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The yellow dot is the light spot in the tire, which should be matched with the valve stem (heavy spot of the wheel). But if there is a wheel mark like you have, the red dot should be matched with it to help with uniformity. On the other hand I have read that if the wheel mark is yellow, the yellow dot should be matched there. The problem is that tire and wheel manufacturers have not all gotten together and crested a universal method. Few tires these days have the colored dots at all. Even fewer rims have match mount spots on the rims. The absolute best way is to road force balance them. I just posted a very long detailed explanation about this and other things. Please see my previous posts from today if you want to know.