Pirelli Tires 295/40/ R20's and 305/35/ZR20's Questions

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by USAFPILOT, May 27, 2016.

1. USAFPILOT

USAFPILOT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are 2 different versions of this tire, one with 110Y XL and one is a 106Y. I take it the Y is the speed rating up to 186 according to tire rack, same as our 275/40/20 106Y OEM tires, even though our cars are capable of 199MPH. I guess the 110Y is a higher load rating than ours even and is designated a Maserati tire. The 106Y Pirelli tire says "No Porsche". Does that mean to NOT install it on a performance car?

Can anyone explain why I should go with one over the other?

Also I am still looking at the Pirelli 305/35/ZR20 186+

There are also two versions of this tire on tire rack. Both are 104Y which has a load rating of 1984lbs vs our OEM 2094 lbs. That is only 110 lbs difference, which seems negligible (the difference between a fat wife and a skinny wife), to me.

Anyway, one is the Ferrari tire and Tire Rack lists the tread wide at 12.1; the other is the non Ferrari tire and the tread width is listed at 10.6 Why such a difference for tires with the same exact specs?

I am looking for the best Pirelli option which gives me a rear tire upgrade in terms of traction and appearance, that fits the OEM Hellcat wheel. I am trying to keep the diameter as close as possible as well to OEM so to not confuse the traction/stablility control systems.

All help is appreciated.

Also, I am not a drag racer, more of a highway bombing kind of guy, so absolute sick hookups on the drag strip are not my thing.

2. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  3. Tire God 2.0

Tire God 2.0 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    N0 is actually "Nzero". There is also N1,N2 ect. They are OEM porsche designations.
    All of the information you seek is in previous threads I've created.

4. 4510

4510 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The fitment link doesn't seem to be vehicle specific... how do we know if it will rub?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Call your tire store/wheel-tire mfg and have them do a fitment review for ANY wheel and tire combo for the vehicle you seek? Also go to below calculators and Plug-in your proposed sizes. Best way to be 100% sure? Put your vehicle on a drive-on rack and measure the static position of your tire from the inside to the suspension components and outside to fender clearances from any OEM tire set-up from a L - R and straight position. Prior rule of thumb is 3% variation for a plus on size to a 1-2% minus on diameter for the ABS to not be confused. But have your selling dealer do the math to make the fitment guarantee to get it correct the FIRST time.

More visual size calculators:

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

Review of a consumers experience Axis Model Two

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  6. rollieman

rollieman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do both of the Pirelli 295/40/20 tires listed have a UTQG rating of 300 and Is this a traction concern whereas the factory 275/40/20 optional summer tire has a 220 rating which I assume is a bit softer?

I opted for the 285/40/20 Pirelli summer tire # 2422600 which has a UTQG rating of 220 as well and requires a minimum wheel size of 9.5" whereas the 295/40/20 requires a minimum wheel size of 10.0"

7. Bayou Teche

Bayou Teche Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've be running pirelli 295/40/20 tires on stock rims on a non-lowered car at all 4 corners with no issues. They are 106y and have the same load rating as factory. They don't bulge, look great, and fill-up the wheel well better than factory as they are a little taller. tread about 1" wider than factory. I don't track my car, but i do know what the pedal on the right can do! totally pleased with these tires. Just a little more grip everywhere. No rubbing at all and the fronts will clear the nut that hangs down from the upper control arm. By going this route, you are keeping the car's attitude the same. Only drawback is your vehicle will be moving at 2 mph faster than the speedo registers.

8. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf VIP Hellcat Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm in the same que as USAFPilot ...
    I'm looking to upgrade to a high performance "street" and "freeway" tire, but on the stock rims. Looking for a set of fronts & rears that are "grippier" than the stock Pirelli summer zeroes, but not ones that are purely dedicated DR "strip" tires that would require a drive-shaft upgrade, although a DS upgrade is do-able if I have to ...

Last edited: May 31, 2016