Please help with some advice on which Challenger to buy

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Billy182, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Billy182

Billy182 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, I am a brand new member here, so a big hello to fellow enthusiast. I am at the verge of purchasing a Challenger, and have already decided I am definitely going to buy one of these cars; however, here is my dilemma.. I have already done quite a bit of research regarding both cars I'm considering for an (almost) daily driver, but still can't decide. On one hand, the 2016 Challenger 6.4 Hemi Scat Pack with shaker hood is very appealing, plenty of power, looks awesome with the shaker hood, cool factory stripe on quarter. On the other hand is the Hellcat. Lots more power, but no shaker hood (understandably) and no factory stripe. It does come equipped with the bigger wheels/tires though, which is a very big plus for me. I would probably keep my truck for practical purposes and sell my Vette which I've had since new.
    A little info from where I'm coming from, fast cars my entire life, a highly modified SCCA RX7 TT that I raced at Pocono, Lime Rock, Rockingham, etc, and for a fun street car I have a C5 Corvette with supercharged/methanol 427 that puts over 750 RWHP down.
    ...So, the intensity of the Hellcat would come naturally, but the Scat Pack Shaker is still cool as hell and I'm wondering if its just the better choice?

Just wondering what real owners thought of their cars, everyday driving experiences, etc.
    Thank you all to those who may share some insight and thoughtful responses.

btw, here's what I'm thinking: B5 with painted hood, suede/nappa seats, sunroof and 6 speed

Bill

2. Sublimecat

Sublimecat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can't tel you much about the Scat Pack but I love the hellcat. Easy to drive around town or down the freeway but a beast when you stand on it. I doubt you would be disappointed either way. If you are one that "there is no such thing as to much horsepower" get the cat.

3. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Because you mentioned having the high-hp vette already, I think you're due for the Hellcat!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you are use to HP then I think you might be disappointed with the scat pack. Go big and get the Hellcat

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I took delivery on my Hellcat on 12/26/14 and just took delivery on my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (6.4) on 12/18/15. I'm really having fun in Michigan winter with the GC SRT with Blizzak DM-V2's. Either way, you won't be disappointed! If I could change anything about the Hellcat, it would be to add the Shaker Hood (not possible). You don't list your location, but if snow is an issue and you want to drive the Challenger in the winter, the Scat Pack 392 might be the better bet.

6. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Challenger M6 Hellcat is a daily driver and I have no issues at all with her. She's tame when I want her to be and a beast when I want.
    Why choose a scat pack over a Hellcat? Once you have it you can customize your cat anyway you want with stripes and all ;)

7. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I used to have a 392 and now have a B5 M6 Hellcat. They were/are both daily drivers. The Hellcat is very easy to drive daily around town but my only complaint is that idle speed on the cat in 1st is 8MPH which is a bit high.

I also felt like I could have a bit more fun winding up the 392 since you aren't going insanely fast in such a short amount of time. I like banging through the gears but you're well over 100 quite quickly in the cat.

BUT...when the opportunity rises and you have some open road to really open up the cat, it is AMAZING!

I'm just now starting to also appreciate driving the cat moderately around town and listening to the sounds of the exhaust, intake, and supercharger.

Overall, my vote is for the cat but you can't go wrong with either car. The scat pack is an awesome deal for what you get.

8. hemiplymouth

hemiplymouth Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My buddy bought a B5 392 Shaker with stripes and auto. He loves it and so do I. In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than a Shaker hood. But I bought a Hellcat and we each love our cars. It is a tough decision, but since you're used to power, maybe go with the Hellcat. Both are mighty fine. :)

9. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The shaker hood is just decoration. The Hellcat supercharger is function.

• Like Like x 1
  10. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is the Hellcat forum so... Oh, and stripes are now available so no excuses.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can't go wrong with either one. The Shaker is the better looking car, the cat is the better performing car. Both awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  12. 209srt8s

209srt8s Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good or bad...the Hellcat does not go un noticed. ;)

13. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've owned both a 392, and now a Hellcat. It's Hellcat hands down!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I posed a similar question earlier and before acquisition. I test drove a 392 and was very impressed. They had it on the floor and ready to go in the scheme/package I liked. At the time Hellcat's were very scarce and going for MSRP plus.
    I just couldn't pull the trigger knowing that something better was out there. Even though the 392 is very impressive, the Hellcat is just far superior. Good luck with your decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a hellcat and my dad has a scat pack. Scat packs are a great value but if you can comfortably afford a hellcat you'd be kicking yourself later. My dad is jealous of the power and will be installing a procharger when 1 becomes available which really is a good way to do it. He paid 45k for his scat pack with 485 hp. The procharger will be roughly $7,500 so all in $52,500. The procharger adds 200 hp so he will have 685 hp to my 707 but also for $20k less