Possible HK Bug and Solution - Volume Level

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by tsc, Mar 27, 2015.

1. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think I may have discovered a bug in the HK system and it might help those with lower volume levels, both Challenger and Charger. I have always had the 'speed compensated volume' turned off from day one, before I ever pulled out of the dealer parking lot. I've also always had a decent volume level, especially once I get past 20 on the adjustment, while others would complain of lower levels. On some high quality MP3s, 30 and above practically makes your ears bleed (ask caren).

So, the other day I happened to play with the setting while I was getting on the highway. I turned it to '3' and the volume basically stayed the same level as far as I could tell (I had the volume at 25), but then I turned it back to 'off' and the sound level definitely decreased and so did the bass a bit. Back to '3' and it seemed to be back to the 'normal' volume level I was used to. So I left it on '3' until I got off the highway and pulled into work. When I parked the car I put it back to 'off' and could tell no difference in the sound level, while the volume was still at 25. This basically put it back to what I was used to, a higher volume level while the setting was set to 'off'.

I did a similar test last night in caren's Charger and it basically had the same effect. Once I was doing 55-60 MPH, changed the setting to '3' and then to 'off' the volume level dropped off. When I left it at '3', came to a stop, put it back to 'off' and things seemed to be more normal.

So please try this out and see if it helps your volume level or not. Hop on the highway, change the setting to '3' and leave it there until you come to a stop and then change it to 'off'. While I'm sure people will always want more, this should at least hopefully get you 100% out of the current setup.

Side note for Charger owners with HK: We've also noticed that turning surround sound on seems to increase the volume level, while on the Challenger in my opinion it lowers the volume level. You may want to turn this on, too.

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tsc

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well I guess a UConnect update came out yesterday and one of the improvements listed is in regards to speed compensated volume 'may not work'. I will update my radio tonight to try it out. But I'm still curious to know if this workaround helps anyone..

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the heads up! I cant wait to go try it out!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks tsc I haven't had an issue but I'm gonna update my UConnect anyway once again

5. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is there a link available to download? Or is it a dealer visit?

6. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    https://rsur.extra.chrysler.com/rsur/Uconnect.do make sure you use Internet Explorer 8 or higher and add Chrysler.com to compatibility view list and add it to the exception for pop ups.

7. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    once again after the installer downloads and installs the popup never closes and it doesn't continue in the browser running ie11 clean fresh install

8. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    this was supposed to be fixed with the last update (TSB 08-079-14C).

9. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sorry to hear that but it worked on my IE 11 :confused:

10. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a 2015 F-250 with premium sound that was just Ok, so after reading this, i went into the menu and adjusted the speed volume and I would say volume increased by at least 30 percent when using a USB/SDcard with MP3 downloads

You may be on to something

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    this is one thing I'm hoping to investigate at one of our meet ups. With a dozen or so hellcats, someone is bound to be complaining about the volume so I want to see if it is just "old man ears" or there is actually a difference from car to car....my body vibrates when I crank mine to 30 with some bass heavy songs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah I put mine on max since one

13. Mtr

Mtr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    In case anyone downloads this successfully but has problems installing it, make sure the ISO file that gets put on your USB stick is named swdl.iso. Originally the file as it came from the self-extractor didn't work, it had a different filename and the car didn't recognize it as a system update file. But when I renamed it to swdl.iso, the car recognized it and installed it just fine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man no wonder it won't work, I was wondering why it wasn't renamed swdl.iso to began with. I'm on the phone wih UConnect right now I'll let them know

• Like Like x 1
  15. tsc

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will download the updates for RA3 and RA4 tonight and put them on my web host and provide instructions for install, just like I did for the last update. Downloading from the official site is a royal pain...

Glad to see at least someone seemed to benefit with increased volume level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1