Power issues?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Maddogiscrazy, May 28, 2016.

1. Maddogiscrazy

Maddogiscrazy Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Driving the hellcat around and I'm starting to think maybe this thing isn't producing the 707. It's okay fast and powerful but nothing big really. I can floor it and it will spin the tire off the line but that's it all the way through the gears no other slippage. 0-60 best is 4.2. The 91 zr1 I had with only 400 hp seemed to be quicker. I guess what I'm saying is it's kinda ho hum at this point. Kind of a disappointment power wise. All the settings say 700 with the red key. Am I missing something?

2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There's speed and the perception of speed. In my case, my Challenger feels at least as fast as my Shelby, but more refined. Maybe because of the sheer size of the Challenger it doesn't feel as fast as the Vette. And honestly, I wouldn't want slippage all the way through the gears. Disable traction control and see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

On the Pirelli PZero 275-40-20's with traction control -- Off and in the full automatic mode and a down shift with to the floor mash at 60mph, it WILL spin the rears! On my Conti's extreme DW 275-40-20's, they chirp but bite and go! BE CAREFUL and turn off trac control and then see IF you are still not happy?

And, How many miles are on your ride?

4. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine will easily spin the tires at 40-50 MPH without even flooring it. Like when pulling out pass on a 2 lane road. Summer tires at 80F. The all seasons I also have spin much easier. That is with traction control full on. Actually have to be careful not to spin the tires under about all conditions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    OP - have you watched your HP/TQ screen to see if it is down?

6. Maddogiscrazy

Maddogiscrazy Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In track mode traction control off it will not spin the tires on a 40-50 mph pedal flooring. Hp screen goes to about 600 before shift. About 80 degrees out on the summer tires. 850 miles on it. It's loud I give it that when I mash it but it is not scary power wise one bit.

7. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Take it back to your dealer and have them check for any boost leaks? Also confirm whether or not torque management is being restrictive until you reach 1,000 or 1500 miles on the odo? I was at 1200 and it felt it was doggy on the old motor! Had a new crate motor put in at 3010miles due to wrist pins. I am now at 8300miles odo (5300 on new motor) and it is an ABSOLUTE BEAST

8. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think you may want to do a dyno test on your car. Typical dyno numbers on the HC range from 640 to 678 stock (average 654 for this comparison) and my C6 Z06 dyno tested at 469. Using vehicle weights of 4400 and 3150 respectively the HP per pound is almost equal at .148 per pound or 148 per 1000 pounds of car. Yet, the HC seems faster than the Z06 to me. The quarter mile times are pretty darned close for both cars but for some reason the Hellcat feels faster to me. Maybe it's the power curve or the sound, I am not sure. But if you're comparing to a '91 ZR1 you should definitely be in awe of the HC - if not your car may need help. A dyno test will rule out any problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Tightlines

Tightlines Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Subscribing. I kind of feel the same way as OP. I figured it was because I came from a slightly faster car.

10. speedycat

speedycat VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    May also be you sitting in a bigger car higher off the ground. Had the same feeling going from my vette to my AMG but the AMG was alot quicker. Just grab a 1/4 mile time on the dash and see. Will give you a real idea. Or Dyno for proof.

11. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    edit

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  12. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    From what you're saying I don't think there's anything wrong with your ride. Even the HP gauge is probably not going to say 707. Mine never has. If I were you I wouldn't start down the road of chasing numbers, taking it to service, getting dynos. etc. Unless something is blatantly obvious (gauge reads 200 hp, etc.) I'd leave it alone. Some guys spend all their time chasing unicorns and never get to enjoy their car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tightlines

Tightlines Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I actually wasn't going to post as I attribute it to the GT500 being quicker and I am used to that. Just posted so I get the alert. :)

I wanted to see what others stated. It's quick just think I may have expected a little bit more but no complaints.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GrndFnk

GrndFnk VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You don't suppose that maybe the PCM has recorded long-term knock which adjusts the timing curve semi-permanently if I am not mistaken ? Gas quality is a huge issue where I am at, I have to find the station that sells the most 93 Shell. If it isn't fresh, mine will detonate some. If detonation persists in which you can see in ST short-term knock with a scantool, it will then start bumping long term knock and reduce power. I use a couple gallons of VP 109 per tank to make sure mine is on top of its game. To clear any long-term knock that has been saved just unhook the battery for a few minutes. Make sure you always have good gas. NOTE that I am assuming our PCMs utilize long-term knock the way the older cars did but am not absolutely positive.

Also, as the weather gets hotter it is not unusual to detect a reduced power level combined with the road surface being much warmer (grabby-er) making it more difficult to turn the tires over.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  15. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Edit

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1