Power window not working

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by torred superbee srt, Jun 6, 2016.

1. torred superbee srt

torred superbee srt Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I have two Dodge Chargers. "His (SRT) and Hers(R/T)". My wife's R/T front passenger window stopped working. I need to see if maybe it is just a fuse issue. Does anyone know which fuse number that is?

2. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Is it dead from both the passenger side control and the driver side master? This will help isolate between switch, power or motor issue.

Is driver side master lock on?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. torred superbee srt

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Master lock is not on. Neither switch works.

4. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Toolman_42 has done some trouble shooting before.

I'm betting it's one of these problems (without looking at a schematic) fuse, ground, window motor, switch. That is the order that I'd check them in if you can.

The fuse (or if you have a meter just check for 12VDC at the switch) because it's both a logical starting point and the easiest place to start. I'd also suggest that you check to see that your ground is clean, unbroken and has good continuity.(also an easy thing to check) The switch should "make/break" continuity or voltage if it is installed and has power to it.

The motor could be checked with a jumper wire and 12VDC once you've checked the other things, just keep in mind that you must also have a ground (path back to the battery) as well as the 12VDC+.

I hope this helps and I bet that Toolman_42 will offer some more and possibly better advice.

Good luck!

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    what year is the RT?
    equipped with auto-up windows?
    door locks work from passenger door switch?
    passenger power mirror work?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    fnkychkn....Glad you chimed in on this one. By the looks of your post I'm guessing that you have some experience with these types of issues.

Plus+++ I have got to mention that I get a BIG KICK out of your username, avatar, the dancing chicken and your location tops it all off!;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    fnkychkn has got the line...I'd be expecting a power or motor issue (bad fuse, bad connector, bad motor in that order)

If you are out of warranty and are working it yourself then first check fuses, if good then I'd pop the door panel (screw and clips) and do a visual inspection of wiring, connectors and motor. Give wires a tug and make sure connections are tight. Check motor for water or rust stains.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. torred superbee srt

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Thanks everyone for the advice! My 2014 R/T is an AWD black on black with the 5.7L. Yes, it does have the auto up window feature. I haven't had any problems with door locks or power mirrors. Yes, the warranty is out by a few miles...uggh. Any suggestions on where I should order the window motor if that is the problem? Lastly can you give me some direction on where the fuse is?

9. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So quick check...
    With auto window feature...do they go down? if so, do they all go down?

Fuses are in trunk and under hood. Diagrams are on the back of the cover. If not directly listed, check owners manual for fuse name/location.

if not fuse, then pull door panel to continue checks.

If needed...On-line searches will provide OEM parts locations. Should save $$ over dealership prices.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Fuse tables begin on page 571 of owners manual. It can be downloaded from Dodge in PDF.

I'm not sure if this is correct but found this on a search about power windows....sounds like could be a circuit breaker not a fuse. If other windows are working, then it's not the circuit breaker. must be a connection or a motor

same location had this info from the Service Manual (NOTE: NOT SURE OF THE YEAR):

The power window system allows each of the door windows to be raised and lowered electrically by actuating a switch on the trim panel of each respective door. A master switch on the driver side front door trim panel allows the driver to raise or lower each of the passenger door windows and to lock out the individual switches on the passenger doors from operation. The power window system receives battery feed through a circuit breaker in the Junction Block (JB), only when the ignition switch is in the ON position.

The power window system includes the power window switches on each door trim panel, circuit breaker, door modules and the power window motors inside each door.

The window motors are replaced with the window regulator assembly. If the window motors require replacement, the window regulator must be replaced.

Circuit Breaker #3 in the Power Distribution Center is the circuit breaker that sends power to the power windows. The Power Distribution Center is the "fusebox" located in the trunk near the battery. After you remove the plastic cover, on the right side located towards the front of the car, you should see 3 "silver" rectangles. These are the circuit breakers (#1-3). #3 (the one you want) is the one all the way to the right. It's a 25A breaker. #1 & 2 are 20 amp.

I would pull it out and check it with an ohmmeter. If you don't have one, you could try pulling #2 and temporarily putting it in the #3 position and see if the windows work.

11. fnkychkn

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    since the passenger door mirror works, there is communication between DDM (driver door module) and PDM ( passenger door module).
    since the power door locks work from the passenger switch, there is communication between the PDM and BCM (body control module)
    the passenger door window motor is controlled by the PDM based on MUX input from the passenger power window switch or a bussed signal from the DDM.

start with the easy test by checking fuse 11 ir rear PDC (power distribution center):

[​IMG]

use this pinout as a guide and a test light to test for power and ground at the PDM C3 (white/5 way) connector:

[​IMG]

if power and ground are OK, use this pinout as a guide and a couple of jumper wires to feed the power window motor at PDM C4 (violet/5 way) connector:

[​IMG]

btw, graycat, i have been diagnosing these types of issues for 30+ years. /;^)

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You're THE MAN!!!!!!

13. fnkychkn

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Any update on this?