Powerstop low dust pads

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by Rob K, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So my brakes were done. 11,500 miles and they were almost metal to metal when they came off. Another 2 days and I'd have needed rotors too.

Anyway, we swapped out with the low dust pads. Pretty easy. I got to clean the wheels entirely too since they were off...that was fun.

I'll post update once I see how they do. So far stopping is as good or better than factory.

image.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. owenspackman

owenspackman BritishCat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow, road racing or something? How'd you wear them that quick!?

I have the low dust. Love them, but disagree. performance is less than stock.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AER

AER Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The low dust pads are complete, and I mean COMPLETE crap. Lost pads in 3 laps of not heavy driving. The stock pads are crazy grippy which if you want to stop, is a pretty good thing. Swapping back next week.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are these the Powerstop z 23's? I love the pads for everyday driving. Virtually no dust. Not racing the car on a road course either.

5. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It clearly states that the low dust brake pads are not intended for road racing....for normal driving there great,I have had mine on for over 800 miles,, no issues

6. Jim M

Jim M SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Love my Z23 pads. My brass monkey wheels are staying clean and even the calipers are still red. My car is a daily driver so the Z23's were the best choice and they stop just like the stock Brembo pads. If I were going racing I think I'd have gone with the Z26's, all ceramic.

7. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    These things are AMAZING! I used to have to wash my car at least 2-3 times a week due to the brake dust issues. And cleaning the wheels used to take as long as it did to clean the car. Now i can clean the wheels in 1/4 the time and really only have to do it once every 2 weeks. It's fantastic!!!

Great purchase. I haven't been on the track yet, but as most of you know I drive the hell out of this beast and it's been just fine with these brakes.

8. Jim M

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    These are the pads Brembo should have installed when the calipers where shipped to SRT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm a testing type of a guy and I should of tested the stopping distances on the stock pads and then the Powerstop when I swapped them out several months ago, but there is no doubt the reason that Brembo didn't put them on stock is because they don't bite or stop the car quite as well. It's easily felt for anybody with a good sense of feel in a car.
    I'd bet that from 60 mph you add 5-10 feet to the stopping distance of the car over the stock Brembo pads, and the initial bite is easily 30-40% less. To me having a bit less bite on immediate brake pedal pressure is a good thing for daily driving. It was too aggressive for daily driving on the stock pads, the Powerstops require a bit more pressure throughout the stopping process.
    And the Powerstop pads will not hold up to the heat as well too if you track the car.

I'd compare the Powerstop pads to the stock pads to putting all season tires on the car after having the Pirelli PZero summers.
    90% of people would not feel the lower performance levels or the greater stopping distances of the all season tires compared to the summers, but there is no doubt, it's there.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jim M

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Which pads did you try, Z23 or Z26? If it was Z26 I'd agree with you. Also, did you follow the bedding instructions? I installed the Z23's and bedded them in properly. They are every bit as good and have the same feel as the Brembo pads. I have NO difference in braking distance or pedal pressure.

11. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the z23 and the z26 use the same exact pad material. the only difference is in the backing plate. the Z26 have a soecial shim back there. but the pads are exactly the same material ( straight from the powerstp guys)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Jim M

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just checked their web site and you are correct. Back when I first looked at them I could swear they said the Z26 pads were pure ceramic and the Z23 pads were the carbon fiber/ceramic. That's why I ordered and installed the Z23's. At any rate, I couldn't be happier with the Z23 pads.

13. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rob, Perhaps this is a stupid question but, did you replace front and back pads?

14. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

They are the same pads.
    And yes, I've changed many brake pads on many of my performance cars over the years so I did bed them properly.
    But trust me, the Powerstop pads do not have the initial bite or quite as good stopping distances as the OEM pads. It's easily felt.
    Like I said, for 95% of owners (most who aren't keenly aware of small differences) they probably won't ever notice any difference. But for those who are, it's noticeable. Still the car stops better than probably any other 4400 lbs car even with the Powerstop pads, but you just cant get a harder compound, lower dust pad to stop as good. Just like you aren't going to get a harder tire with lower rolling resistance to handle, corner or stop as well either.

15. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't changed my pads just for this reason. Everything is a compromise. The OE pads have a great initial bite and they excellent street pads. The dust sucks but it's all a compromise.

Early on I told all the guys removing their low mileage OE pads to send them to me I'll pay the shipping LOL. Nobody took me up on my offer. I was trying to help the environment and get free supply of pads for life ;)