Pre-Production vehicle history

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by Nohcs777, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Nohcs777

Nohcs777 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm looking at purchasing a Pre-Production hellcat from a vendor that I trust. I've tried to do a carfax on the vehicle but with a VINof FH5XXXXX its an invalid VIN. I'm not so worried about the car as it sits now but if I ever choose to sell it in the future, this might be cause for concern for the next buyer. Is there an alternate way to get this information? Is it likely that its only invalid at this moment until CarFax "catches up"?

2. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was under the impression all the "pre-production" Hellcats were slated to be crushed as they could not be sold to the general public. I can't remember where I read it, but I thought it was on here. Anyone else read/hear that?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    /\ what you say is true but, often 1 or 2 get sold to collectors. They can never be registered at any DMV so tags will not be available. They are pure collectors pieces only.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    One word:

Don't.

Here is a (admittedly, more extreme side) look at the life of a pre-production or mule / press car:

The abuse gets pretty intense, around the 25:00 mark.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nohcs777

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is coming by way of Robert Fredrick whom is pretty well known and trusted in the community. He tells me this particular one was babied so I believe him. It was titled on 6/4/14 so I think we're pretty safe on the registration side.

6. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Manufacturer title is different. No VIN = no tags. Call your DMV.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nohcs777

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was able to get a carfax on the vehicle after all (I didn't have the full VIN :( ). It was titled with the Michigan
    Motor Vehicle Dept on 6/4. Are you saying that my local DMV may still decline?

8. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, your local DMV may decline, as well as possibly not meeting emission requirements. This sounds like a blatant violation of FCA policy, as I have understood that policy ot exist, but things change. Nice find if possible.

9. Nohcs777

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you have a reference to that policy?

10. Nohcs777

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just spoke with the Oregon DMV and gave them the VIN. They said there would still be a VIN inspection but they said there shouldn't be any problem.

11. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Either a.) it isn't really a preproduction Hellcat, because again they were slated to be crushed, so it would not have a valid VIN and would have been registered as mules (manufacturer title) so someone is selling a used Hellcat and trying to make a good story so it sells, or b.) somehow, some way a preprod mule survived and was being sold to the OP, in which case it still would most likely not be something you could register due to the VIN and would probably not pass emissions either, since FCA was having issues with getting the Hellcat to meet emissions standards prior to the order banks opening.

I would be more inclined to believe option a. since if a preprod mule did survive it would potentially be worth some $ to a collector. But who knows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Nohcs777

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its in service date was 5/30/2014. That's a pretty early date to be option a) isn't it?

13. Fionn MacCumhaill

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  14. Nohcs777

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Also the car only has 1300 miles on it. If it was beat on wouldn't it have 20-50k miles on it? Also, its reported that the car has original tires on it and they are in good condition. (No weight marks). That bodes well for the story yes?

15. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    OK,, so what color is the car ( black )...Bob can do some crazy things, but to get a preproduction car, that is a long shot,,, FCA will be held responsible if anything happens... Now if he is getting a CEOs car, or someone high on the food change, that's not a mule,, That's something different, One last thing, are you getting a deal on it???