Pro/Con of A8 to the M6? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by FINALLYSATISFIED, May 28, 2015.

1. FINALLYSATISFIED

FINALLYSATISFIED Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm in a bind now. With this much power I told myself an A8 would be the way to go. M6s are being thrown out there for MSRP as it seems.

Can anyone shed light on what's the pro/cons with this particular vehicle with either transmission?

2. jaque

jaque Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    well for one thing hanging on with one hand and not ending up in the weeds is one reason some folks want a8, the real old school mopars guy seem to like m6 better from the feedback i have recieved from a few i know. track times are asmidge better on the a8 too. but im just going on what i head and read.. still no cat. in von space still..

3. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have an M6 and wanted one from the start.

There was a time when I thought shifting in traffic would be a PIA all the time, but driving this car it seems not to matter. You are so into the vehicle itself that you are happy to be a part of the process by manually choosing the gears, using all your hands and feet rather than being anonymous and overridden by a computer chip (yes, that's a stretch, but you get my point).

With this type of vehicle, how often are you going to be at the track trimming down your E.T.s? Just a consideration. The M6 is great fun.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. cruizinrc

cruizinrc HCC New Jersey State President Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought this car as a complete toy
    I'm not going to ever drag race it too Anal, car will be pampered to death
    If I was going to race it would of got a a8
    Ever since my mom taught me how to drive a stick in a Subaru wagon at 17-18 years old I've been hooked
    I have a bunch of cars both auto and stick and enjoy stick better keeps me busy and in-tune with driving it and the sound of car with me trying to rev match it is always awesome
    And best part if I'm asked to drive it less people drive stick so less people to say no lol
    Ron
    Videos of a8's do sound bitchin but m6 all the way for me car is so easy to drive even my wife loves it
    And might let my mom try driving it in a huge parking lot

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ahldo123

Ahldo123 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A little personal background I had 2 IE Challengers first one was 6spd I liked it, It went good, but could never get the feel for the clutch in that car (Ive owned many standards) I figured the previous owner wasn't too nice to the clutch, so I wasn't really too impressed with it - anyways I ended up selling the car. One day I asked the dealer to let me know if another 392 came in with an auto to let me know I would like to try one, he chuckled and said I have the twin to your IE coming in next week - Sooooooo, I ended up buying it. Surprisingly I found it extremely responsive fun to play with and I figured I can only play so much, but when it comes time to just travel I sit back and enjoy the ride. I now have the m6 myself, at first I wanted the A8 because with that much power I thought it would be less effort to keep control of the car. So now that I have it, I've driven it around quit a bit and I am finding it extremely easy to control this car, the clutch is awesome it shifts great,(skip shift is never an issue if the rpm's are up).
    All in all you cant go wrong with either one. Some people will tell you if you have an auto its not a real car, thats BS either one in my opinion is good just depends on your personal preference. Hope this enlightens some on this question.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    If it wasn't that I have hip and knee issues that will only get worse as I get older (64 at present, I ordered the A8), I would've "definitely", ordered the M6!!!! I test drove the SRT 392 with the manual tranny and it was a blast! I can only imagine what the Hellcat would feel like with a standard transmission.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  7. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have a Charger so I never out any thought into this. My friend has a M6 and one thing he stressed to me was getting the extended warranty because of the A8. A lot of pieces go into this transmission and it is costly to fix, if parts are available.

I love how fast and effortlessly the A8 shifts. Way better than my old 12 Charger SRT.

8. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Bad/injured body parts equals A8 for me. Back when my right shoulder was broken no way to shift. In a perfect world the M6 is fine but stuff happens that could leave a M6 parked.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A8= newest tech
    M6= older tech

A8- faster at the track
    M6- people who arent good at launching struggle

i own a 2013 gt500 M6 and when track day came i took the HC instead....i cant launch a stick at all....not even about a track....if you just want to floor it from a stop sign your going to get butterflies in your stomach from the first second you floor it with a A8....while if you get butterflies from M6 it will be after it finally gets going unless you know how to launch it......

i enjoy having a car with both........for me it a question of ''why buy a fast car and then buy the slower transmission?'''

M6 is more fun for sure.....but a8 is amazing

• Like Like x 2
  10. RammJaeger

RammJaeger Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have driven a lot of manual transmission cars, by generally prefer automatics. I got the A8, and I have to say it's an amazing price of work. That A8 shifts so insanely fast, it feels like the bolt on an M1 Garand rifle slamming back. It reminds me a lot of driving a dual clutch M3. And the fact that you can put it in manual mode and shift yourself either with the paddles or the shifter means the only thing you lose by going with the A8 is the clutch, and being slower :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I've never driven a dual clutch M3, but I have fired an M1 Garand many times (and still have one). That's a great comparison I can relate to! Really looking forward to experiencing the A8 with the 392! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. rubbel

rubbel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I really like the 8 speed auto in this car.

13. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    8 speed auto for me, i like consistent times at the track and being able to use the paddles on road course.

14. Greg

Greg Senior Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Having owned several manual transmission cars (and lots of motorcycles), I have manually shifted my automatic BMW 650 for years, and do so on my HC Challenger. I enjoy the extra control and options of picking the rpm range based on what is coming up, dynamic braking, all of that.. I was really impressed with the 650's transmission.

Then I experienced the Hellcat auto. Unlike anything I have driven, so nice. The closest I can compare the sportier shift settings to are the clutchless manuals in Ferrari and Lamborghini. Shift the gear, and "bam" it is there. Almost bone jarring if you are moderately on the gas when you shift. Of course you can dial the shifting down to Street mode if you like as well. I leave it on Sport, and manually shift using the console shifter. Love it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. macden

macden SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the two. It is not a DD, which would have pushed me to the A8. I even went so far as to ask my Ortho if he felt I would be able to drive a stick in the future with my bad knee. In the end I ended up with the M6 and am thrilled with my decision. I have not gotten stuck in traffic yet, so that might change

Since I don't plan on track days, and enjoy driving the car instead of just aiming it, I am really happy with the manual.

• Like Like x 1