Procedure to pump out the fuel tank ?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by GrndFnk, Feb 14, 2016.

1. GrndFnk

GrndFnk VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Was wondering if anyone has a procedure they follow to change out the fuel in the tank ?
    Thanks.

2. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why would you need to do that?

3. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have 10% alcohol Shell 93 here. Actually 11% I found out. I run it in other things, turbo sleds, a turbo car etc and realized over years it works well but goes away fast. The fuel in the Cat will be 4-5 months old when I get it out and may take a while if I take it easy and run it out so I thought i would change it if i could...relatively easily that is. Also, there may be times that I would want to run VP 109 at the track if I get a hot tune at some point.
    Thanks

4. CNYHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Sta-Bil is a good additive for winter storage, when you are ready to get the car out of storage add 2-3 gal of VP109 to the tank and run the car, you won't need a tune to do that.
    The tank it's self has a ball that will not let a tube pass by, there for a roll over so gas can't spill out.
    TC

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have thought about it, but would rather not use additives that might affect the WOT performance. Not suggesting Stabil would, I know it has been around for years, I just don't want to throw any variables into the equation at this point in time when dealing with an engine that makes this much power on pump gas. I am still very wary of it.
    Thanks

EDIT thanks TC you slid that in before I realized it.

7. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    But curiosity has got me now......how do you guys change out your fuel on track days vs street ?
    On my GN I would just pump it out by hooking onto the fuel rail with a hose and starting the pump. It was simple.
    Well, on the Cat it aint so simple.

Edit
    I appreciate you guys' concern and suggestions by the way, and I do pay attention to them.
    But let me put it a different way...Lets say the boys get together when the weather breaks and want to go to the track right off the bat and put a whoopin' on the Cat. I have seen that movie before with other cars, all in fun, and always try to make sure I don't get caught with my ducks not in a row. You know how it goes I am sure. So, in that situation I would rather change out the fuel and start off fresh.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  8. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I made a couple of edits, above....
    Anyhow, good ideas and for all practical purposes the stabilizer is the way to go, but I think in my case at the moment the fuel has already gone away or separated out somewhat from the alcohol and there is no getting it back. Next year I will add some stabilizer.
    Pumping the tank is an alternative only if I absolutely have to, but it would be good to know how to do it.
    It is really amazing how fast alcohol fuel does go away. I have one engine, a little 3 cylinder 4 stroke turbo sled that will start and stall 1 time, and only 1 time, and when it does that I realized the gas is bad. I would try to run it hard and it would detonate and I finally made the connection. I change the gas and all is good again. And the scary thing is that it only takes about 2 months of sitting for this to occur.

9. CNYHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well, under normal driving, you're only going to have to drive about 200 miles to empty the gas tank. Add the Sta-Bil now, start it up and let it warm up for 15 minutes or so then turn it off. When you get it out of storage drive it till only a few gallons of fuel are left in the tank. Then add a gallon or two of the VP109 then fill it up the rest of the way with whatever fuel you like....

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good advice thanks. Only have 300 miles on the car so far so it isn't like I am going to be rodding it any time soon anyhow. But next year...... ??

Ok, you guys talked me into using stabilizer and some 109 to get by, but I still would be real interested in knowing how to change out the frickin gas if I wanted to ! LOL :)

I am an older guy headed for old fart-dom in 10 years and when you want to know something, well, you just want to know ! ;)

11. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are times that I might get caught off guard and be summoned to the track with the gang, and I don't want to show up with a concoction of fuel in the tank ! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Reading the service manual there is no easy way to do it. One method is remove the fuel line at the fuel rail, install some special adapters and run the fuel pump with the scan tool. The other way is to remove the back seat, open the lock rings and insert a 3/8" hose and siphon out. Looks like a PITA either way.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good info. I suspected there would be no easy way to do it like in the old days. There must be a way to get around using the scantool by hotwiring something.

14. Beeman

Beeman Silver Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Run the sucker flat out, you will have a empty tank in 13 minutes

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Beeman

Beeman Silver Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Had my 2009 Super Bee dyno tested, had only 91 octane so the shop siphoned the tank through the back seat.

• Like Like x 1