Protecting front from bugs and debris

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by Rob K, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hoping to get my cat in about 10 days. I'm flying out to get it then driving it back home, about 2,200 miles.

I plan on getting CQuartz finest once I'm home and settled but they mentioned protecting the front from bugs and sigh on the long drive home.

Anyone have any suggestions? I saw someone used blue painters tape....not sure if that's a good idea or what. Need help and advice.

2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    when i drove my GT500 home 1300 miles home i did get a stone chip right in the front red stripe....ive never gotten another one, so it kinda irritated me

what are you going to do???? you cant use 10 rolls of blue painters tape to tape your whole front end????

id just make sure im 10 car lengths behind everyone else....you cant get a stone chip if there is no in front of you to throw that stone....i used that technique with all my special cars and never really get stone chips.......

i WOULD recommend putting painters tape around your wheel well and the bottom of your doors though....driving my HC home 350 miles i got some chips inside my wheel wells already......the damage your own tires will do is the worst you have to worry about

you could have the dealer install splash guards for you ahead of time.....i have them on my gt500 and the bottom of my doors has 1000's of micro chips after 6,000 miles....i dont know if the HC kicks up stones like the F1's on the GT500 do, but thats where id double layer the painters tape....

your most likley going to see some damage...somewhere....unavoidable.....i found a stone chip on one of my rims after the 350 mile ride home too....are you going to blue tape your wheels too?

unless its a show car i wouldnt expect perfection...you will always be dissapointed.....its a Dodge...its going to come with flaws from the factory

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Harley88

Harley88 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have clear bra installed. Kinda ganna be too late after 2000 mi rd trip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stay 25 car lengths behind esp trucks

5. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with the splash guards! Huge savior on my car. Tires throw stuff like crazy!

• Like Like x 1
  6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm getting a clearbra on my gt500 with 6,000 miles...I'm told the xpel will hide micro chips in clear coat...anyways 6000 miles clear bra is better than never

7. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
  8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd like to see that.....bubble wrap?...

you get in the car wearing a diaper and with a cooler of food....once in the car the dealership takes bubble wrap and wraps around the whole car 2-4x's.....you only go to full service gas stations, eat in your car, sleep in your car, poop/pee in your diaper...after 3 days your home and your car is mint

youd be kinda like a U2 spy plane pilot....they fly 24 hours+ and dont mind pooping themselves.....

or a sniper....they lay on the ground and poop/pee themselves for days waiting for their targets

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. HellcatKid

HellcatKid Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would be carefull with painters tape on fresh paint you can damage the finish if it was me I would trailer it the 2200 miles then get the PPF put on and you are golden! ;):)

10. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    id also recommend a trailer is your going to be fussy with it.....it probably has sat for 2 months in Canada, so i doubt the paint is an issue....4 weeks and i think your good....i wouldnt worry about the tape

i wanted a closed trailer for my trip home....but i couldnt find one.....i should have used an open one......go to a boat dealer and get it shrink wrapped to the trailer if all you can find is an open one???

$400-500 is what they charge me for my boat.....and im sure this time of the year they are sitting around w/ nothing to do

11. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not going to be that fussy about it. Probably a lot less fussy than most...just trying to minimize damage in transit...especially before the cquartz is applied.

I thought about shipping it back but...frankly the idea of driving a 707hp car across the country for its maiden trip is awesome and I can't wait to do it. Plus I've heard a few bad storis about shipping a car that far.

I was just looking for some advice that's all. Man you guys can be harsh sometimes.:eek::eek:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  12. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you can't set up to have a Clearbra put on BEFORE you leave for the trip, use Blue Painters tape.
    I have done this on a couple occasions, including the 430 mile trip home with my Hellcat.
    You'll need about 3 rolls of it.

Here's the kicker, get the Blue tape that has the green lettering on it that says, "Edge Lock"
    It's a tiny bit stickier and holds down on the edges better (hence the name).

I used 3 rolls and was able to cover all the painted surfaces on the front of the car, up to the hood scoop opening.
    I also covered the A pillars and 4 inches above the windshield.
    I also covered the rocker panels behind each wheel so rocks wouldn't fly up and scratch the side of the rocker panels, since the tires stick out
    so far.
    And the three rolls was enough to double up the tape everywhere, and I even put a 3rd layer on the front most parts.
    At $7 a roll, it was $21 bucks well spent.

On top of that, I would stay as far away from cars and trucks on the freeway as possible.
    BUT, people will inevitably pull directly in front of you.
    This happened to me, when my car had 23 miles on the odometer.
    A 4x4 truck moved from the fast lane to the slow lane, where I was driving 55 mph in a 60 zone, and he literally moved over 2 CL's in front of me
    and I see a small rock coming at me a split second before it hit the windshield.
    It didn't crack it, or even chip it much, but left a tiny nick in the windshield. So small nobody would see it if I didn't point it out.

But that would of pissed me off if it was on the hood and I didn't have the painters tape on.
    Itll take you a hour or two to apply it all on.

Before you leave just make sure all the edges are flat, so the wind doesn't blow it up.
    Bad thing though, if you hit rain, especially a pretty heavy rain, if the tape gets soaked, it loses some stickiness and some will come loose and
    start flapping around. So buy and extra roll or two, just in case the rain stops and you can dry the front off and reapply some.
    But the "Edge Lock" is pretty good and takes a pretty decent amount of water before it comes loose.

Have fun, you will get a lot of stares on your drive home. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Great! Thanks for the help. Any chance the blue paint can do damage?

14. jim

jim Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    what about plastidip spray it on peel it off when you get home. I just dont know about putting it on fresh paint.

15. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I've heard that paint newer than 2 weeks is a no go for dip. However this is a good idea. 2 cans and some painters tape.

I drove the 600 miles home just trying to stay ahead of everyone. Just keep your distanc when trailing.