Protection used during shipping to dealer

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by sparrky, Feb 9, 2016.

1. sparrky

sparrky Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Greetings. A new owner of a PCP HC in a few weeks. Question: This is for those who have or just received their Kitty. What protection is used on the paint body during transport? So far, the online pics I have seen only show a white square shaped door edge protector and the yellow corner edge guards for the front spoiler , interior clear seat wraps and SC blue taped. Anything else? Is there a protection film wrap of some sort applied on the body, front end, and maybe rear bumper?o_O Need to know , due to long drive to bring the HC home and eventually to CQuartz and possible Xpel. :D Thanks to all.

2. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The only wrap protecting the car in shipment is the paint...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sparrky

sparrky Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow...pay such a price for an HC and no PPF.:confused: Qn: Take it home ... dealer washed? Or dirty right off the truck and drive it eventually to the detailer for Cquartz of Xpel.

4. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I vote for a pressure wash on exterior only. Don't let them rub on the paint.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sparrky

sparrky Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great idea. ... Touchless....guess just air dry.

6. The Judge

The Judge Rookie Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As mentioned the only protection was the seats wrapped and steering wheel covered. Drivers side floor had 1 piece of clear plastic on it. I chose to have the dealer do nothing to it. I drove it home and cleaned and detailed it myself. Less chance of scratches. PCP is what I ordered as well. You will be very happy I'm sure. Congrats!!

7. Shadow

Shadow Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you are anywhere as picky as I am; here's my recommendation. Go to the dealer and tell them you want to personally wash the car. Use the 'two bucket method'. Get grit guards for the buckets. Get a Meguiar's microfiber wash mitt and Meguiar's water magnet Microfiber drying towel. Don't rub hard. Then, pull the car out into the bright sunlight for inspection of the paint. If you inspect in indoors, many possible blems will not show up. But, here's the thing...if the car does have paint blems, you'll NOT want your dealer to try to correct them. They'll use the old 3-M 1-2-3 method on it and make things a lot worse. Unless there are dents or body damage issues, just document the blems (although you'll get nothing for it) and take the car to a GOOD C-Quartz provider. Those guys, included in the price of the C-Quartz, will do a paint correction on the car and cure the majority of the factory paint blems. If there is dirt or other issues under the clear coat, or clear coat smudges or runs, most likely they can't fix those. But, the C-Quartz dealers who know their stuff on paint correction is the best investment you'll make. I have a Pitch Black HC that had major paint issues, and it's 90% corrected....the rest I'll just have to live with. I have a PCP HC, and the paint is 98% good. Good luck, just inspect it with direct sunlight on it and then see your C-Quartz guy.

8. hellcat buyer

hellcat buyer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Our car is also pitch black so I requested NO exterior or interior prep thinking they would make the paint contamination worse and the dug in scratches would show up even more. Car was an absolute mess off the truck as it took a slow train from Niagra Falls to Taylor, MI railyard where it sat for almost 4 wks, then a slow train ride across Ohio into PA. Tons of scuffs, small scratches and rail dirt. It went to our detailer (at our expense) who clayed it, corrected most of the problems and applied Zaino. They found a dimple in the hood. I contacted the dealer, Diehl of Robinson, who warrantied the dent and sent MetalMenders to the house to fix the dent (paintless dent removal) and in about 15minutes had it gone. Diehl was excellent to work with so I wasn't too worried about taking the car home in it's as delivered condition. Car turned out great but there are still paint imperfections on both lower doors. I'm not willing to go more aggressive so we'll live with it. Perfect paint is not what these cars are about but that is nothing unique to Hellcats or even FCA. Kinda part of the package. Old enough to remember 60s musclecars when they were new and they were much worse. The high end restorations you see at Mecum and Barrett-Jackson are nothing like they looked at delivery. We are paying for the performance and the image. It is really a mirror image of the Buick Grandnationals which had unbelievable performance for the day and were relatively reasonable in price but built on an older platform in a plant with sketchy quality and paint. After 29 yrs original paint blems don't seem like as big a deal.