Pulled over! Interesting comments received.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Hubbs, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was cruising along on a local highway at about 80 mph (55 zone) and a Honda Civic was going about 75 in the lane next to me. I crested a hill and my detector went nuts. I jammed the brakes for a split second to shave off at least a little speed. The civic kept going and passed me.

We both get pulled over by two motorcycle cops. The civic was clocked at 75 and got a ticket. I was clocked at 68 and got a written warning.

Comments made by the cop:
    1) "Nice car."
    2) "Clocked you at 75" (Me: "What? Seems a little high.") "Seems like a reasonable figure considering you have 707 hp, doesn't it?"
    3) "You DID expect to get tickets with 707 hp, didn't you?"
    4) "It must be tough to keep it within the speed limit with that much power."
    5) "It actually looked like you two were racing." (I laughed and said, "yeah, right!")
    6) "You're getting just a warning. It will probably be your last with this car." (after talking to the other cop and finding out I was clocked at only 68")

Some of the comments were complimentary, but most were sarcastic and rude. I figure he must be jealous. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Shasta's Dad

Shasta's Dad Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd say he cut you a little slack. I'm pretty sure, here in Florida, if you get stopped going 13 over, especially in a Hellcat, you're gonna get a ticket. I hope I never find out.:D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. roostinyfz

roostinyfz Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like you got a awesome cop who also appreciates nice/fast cars hence the reason you got a warning ;)
    Be thank thankful you didn't get a ticket. You should know that Texas Peace Officers take speeding seriously especially when you yourself admitted to doing 25 mph over the posted speed limit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Sublimecat

Sublimecat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Should have told him you were in Valet mode to make it a fair race and thank him for saving you the embarrassment of getting beat by that Honda.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SuperChallenger

SuperChallenger Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    He certainly cut you a break, and yes probably will be the last one you get in that jurisdiction, had nothing to do with jealousy(??) thats just vain, if he's a stater/highway patrol/similar, he's pulled over hundreds, if not thousands of cars & drivers of every caliber, worth, power and status!
    Each contact is recorded in multiple databases, along with "officer notes", so the next officer to run your plate will be able to see the previous contact & related notes indicating the warning.
    Most times, if your calm, polite and truthful (ie: yes officer I might have been going faster than posted, but didnt realize it was that excessive.....) will go a lot further than being a *%$#@!
    In some places, 7 mph or more over is grounds for a stop, any observed double violation and its probably going to end up in a ticket, or worse...thats how it works.
    Former LEO.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "Clocked" by what? Radar?

8. Tazman

Tazman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fortunately I ride with a lot of Blue Knights and know quite a few of our local finest.

But more importantly... I'm not as dumb as I was when I was a teenager trying to drag race everyone. LOL! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree guys! He definately cut me a break. The only reason I said he seemed jealous was because he was noticably drooling over the car and was really sarcastic saying things like "must be nice". He was a local city cop.

He clocked me with radar, yes. Typical Ka band. He must've shot me because my detector is pretty trustworthy. I'll need to ease up a little I guess. It was a section of 3 lane highway with no cross streets.... but it was approaching an intersection....so makes even more sense.

10. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I once (many many years ago...) got pulled over for 145 in Riverside CA northbound on the 15, 2am in the morning. (Back before it was surrounded by cement and people)...

Officer came up on the passengers side of the vehicle, asked me for my license, looked at it, looked at my passenger, looked back at me, and in a very very angry voice said:

"Quit driving like an As**ole"

Through my license back at me and left me and my passenger on the side of the road, my jaw in my lap. We sat there for a few minutes to see if he was coming back and then left....

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

You were L U C K Y! :D In most states they will take you straight to jail for going that fast. He would have put the fear of God in me, for certain! LOL!

April

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. BULL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I know, I thought for certain I was going as well, as did my passenger...

After 25 years, it's still one of my favorite stories to tell...

• Like Like x 2
  13. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    hand him over the license and registration and proof of insurance, if he tries to make me feel embarrassed for being caught or whatever i just say "yeah sorry". Write the ticket and i hire a lawyer to get it knocked down to a parking ticket or he gives me a warning.

pay to play

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. BULL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've gotten pulled over for 5 over and been approached by an officer with an obvious attitude problem, in that case I give back what I get...

Anytime I've ever been pulled over for "excess speed", I've been as humble as I can possibly be...

145mph (above story)
    120mph (same general area in Riverside, cost me $1500 back in 1990)
    110mph on the 405 near Tustin, CA, cop lost his motor catching me, I was still humble and still got a ticket, forget how much, similar to the 120mph ticket...

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. TWYNBYZ

TWYNBYZ Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Funny you bring up Riverside. I was doing about the same speed (145mph to 150mph) on a sport bike and "passed" a Riverside County Sherrif cruiser on the freeway. By the time she caught up with me I had exited the freeway and was off my bike because I knew what was coming next. At any rate she asked why I was in such a hurry and I said my girl friend was pissed and I needed to get home ASAP. She laughed, gave me a stern warning and let me go. That was 20 years ago and I was very lucky........