Purchasing a new SRT

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by gbirk, Apr 1, 2016.

1. gbirk

gbirk Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Hello all. I have been on the hunt for a 2016 Charger SRT in B5 Blue without a sunroof (I am 6'7" so I don't fit in sunroof cars). After failing to find one anywhere on the west coast, I went to the dealer to order a 2016 today and was told the B5 Blue was no longer able to be ordered. I was crushed. I went home to try to decide what color to get now.

The it happened.....I found a new 2015 Charger in B5 blue without a sunroof in Florida that I can get and ship to Oregon for less than the 2016 was going to be to order. It does not have the tech package, but I think I like B5 blue more than I like the tech package. Your thoughts on a car without the tech package?

The other concern I have is that it is a 2015. From what I see online it looks like there were very few changes to the 2016 model. Is there anything I should look out for on the 2015 or anything I will miss?

The 2015 is about $5000 less after shipping than a 2016 will be and I get the color I want, Also I would have it in a week instead of 8-12 weeks, so there would have to be a big missing feature to go to the 2016 I think. What do the experts here think about getting a 2015 this late into the 2016 MY?

Thanks for your input.

2. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome and Congratulations on your 392! I would pick the 2015 sounds like a better deal and you won't be happy if you settle for another color. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 707hpcharger

707hpcharger Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Better warranty on the 2015.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gbirk

gbirk Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Wow, good to know. So they dropped 40k of the powertrain warranty for 2016. That's a big change. I doubt I will hit 100k in 5 years, but good anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ArchGE

ArchGE VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Sounds like a win-win to me. I have a Challenger and nothing changed between 15 and 16. I assume the same would hold true on the Chargers. You'll also own a rare color now so that's a good thing. Same for my black 15, no longer available in 16 from what I hear.

Enjoy your new ride!

• Like Like x 1
  6. hasham11

hasham11 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Only thing I would consider is the Tech Package, it is really helpful, but other than that, 2015 sounds like a good deal.

7. sliknik

sliknik Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    it shows B9 Blue is still available when you build one online, did they forget to remove it, along with purple?

8. gbirk

gbirk Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I think so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 707hpcharger

707hpcharger Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have a 2015 Charger SRT392 , B5, Alcantara, tech package, no sunroof, summer tires. Currently has less than 300 miles on it.
    Make me an offer.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gbirk

gbirk Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I don't see a way to PM (I may be too new), but I just "started a conversation" with you regarding this. Let me know if you see the conversation. Where are you located?

• Like Like x 1
  11. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congratulations and welcome to the form from upstate New York. Unfortunately FCA has discontinued four colors. B5. Pcp recently. Good luck and you won't be sorry

• Like Like x 1
  12. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    If I had to choose between having a tech package and not, I would always go with having one. It's a fantastic feature. Hellcat's do not have that option so if you're going to get a 392 you might as well get the tech package.

13. rainmaker1965

rainmaker1965 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 1
  14. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    just buy it and be done--drive as if stolen..

• Like Like x 1
  15. gbirk

gbirk Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Just an update on this.....sorry it is long.

Well about 3 weeks ago I found my perfect car, a Dodge certified used 2015 B5 Blue Charger SRT with 9k miles. Loaded with everything but a sunroof. I am 6'7" so I don't fit if there is a sunroof. Loaded, non-sunroof SRTs are hard to find especially in B5 Blue. SRT for Scat Pack money, I was really excited. It was in Denver and I live in Portland, so I flew out to Denver with my daughter and bought the car. Cue 1300 mile road trip home.

[​IMG]

When I got to the dealership I was a bit disappointed because the car was pretty dirty. They did a really poor job of detailing it. Outside was "fine", but the inside looked like the spilled leather cleaner on the seats and let it dry, and the carpet was soaking wet from being cleaned. I had put $1000 down on the car over the phone a week before, so there was plenty of time for them to get it ready, but I have a feeling they figured they could get away without doing much since I was unlikely to say no after flying out to get it. I got the car for a good price $45,600 and it was mechanically sound and straight, just dirty. Nothing I could't fix with a good Saturday cleaning it. Maybe I expected too much. I took it for a test drive, signed the papers and was out of the dealership in less than an hour. I loved the car!

I got less than a mile from the dealership and it ran out of gas. I kid you not! They had not even put enough gas in it to get to the nearest station! WTF! I got to the side of the road, called the salesman and very nicely told him to get some gas and bring it to me. I actually was nice/polite although I was not happy. another 1/2 hour later and we were on the way again.

We stayed at a Denver Howard Johnston's that was a bit scary that night, but we lived, and by 7am we were on our way home. Wow! what a car!

I let my daughter drive some of the time, and I think she finally figured out why I love cars so much. I could hardly get her to let me drive my new toy! The tech package really made this car a great road-trip car, and sport mode made it a beast! I love this car! (I keep saying that don't I?)

At the 1st gas station, I noticed an issue with the passenger side rocker panel; it was 1/2 way off the car and dragging on the ground. Seriously, WTF!! I know we had not hit anything, but the rear clips were missing and 1/2 of the body clips were now broken. I picked up some duct /100mph tape and re-attached it. I would deal with that later. Off we went.
    [​IMG]

The rest of the trip went well except for the time I couldn't shut the trunk because it would shut then pop pen on it's own (again WTF!) then I realized that the 2nd key was in my bag.....in the trunk. OK, so I have some things to learn about the car, like it won't let you lock your keys in the trunk, even if you want to.

This is such an amazing car. Comfortable, fast, easy to drive and fast (did I say that already?) Easily the best car I have ever had.

Once I got home I took the car to my local Dodge dealer (the one I was going to order the 2016 from) to look at the rocker panel. They decided to fix it under the bumper to bumper warranty. That was awesome! They took the car for 4 days and had a local shop replace and paint the rocker panel. It was good as new and free! My local dodge dealer gets early brownie points.

[​IMG]

Well, then comes the real blow (figurative and real)! I was sitting in traffic last night on my way home and was rear-ended by a Toyota Corolla driving 20 year old kid. I was stopped on the freeway in traffic, and I saw him coming in the rear view mirror, but there was nothing to do about it but hold on and wait for the impact. OK Kids, DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE!
    [​IMG]

So now it sits in my driveway waiting for Monday to talk to his insurance adjuster. Everyone is OK and it can be fixed, but boy it was a sad day yesterday. If anyone has a body shop recommendation in or around Beaverton, OR I would live to hear it.

P.S. Did I mention I love this car! Dodge really killed it!