Purchasing Hellcat from out-of-state dealer... any local dealer warranty / service issues?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by Dr Hfuhruhurr, May 24, 2015.

1. Dr Hfuhruhurr

Dr Hfuhruhurr SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've purchased an inbound Challenger Hellcat from a dealer that's 300+ miles away. So I have to find a local Dodge dealer to handle warranty and other service work. There's about 10 dealers in the Buffalo metro area to choose from.

Has anyone who purchased non-locally had any issues with warranty work from a local non-selling dealer? Are they dismissive or non-cooperative if you didn't purchase the car from them? Any tips on what to look for or ask the Service Manager at the dealers I have in my area?

Thanks and regards,
    Rich

2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    there is no issue.....you are loosing the extra attention you'd get because of a dealer wanting your repeat business....but as far as normal attention you will find there is no dealer difference......your warranty is good anywhere....last 4 vehicles ive bought were from 50 to 1350 miles away......i dont go to any of them for my service......

make sure the car is perfect before you take it off the lot......if it has flaws(paint flaws(depending on the severity), fit flaws, scrapes under the front spoiler,etc) you will have much less help taking it a different dealer..........the dealer you bought it from will fight for you much harder id think.

i think many of us here bought from out of our home towns.....i got mine 350 miles away....they keep sending me oil change specials...like im going to drive 700 miles round trip to change my oil

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RoadwarriorCA

RoadwarriorCA Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think you'll have a problem. Once you go from sales to service it shouldn't matter.....unless you have receival issues....
    Assuming not, others can sound off but:
    1) ask around about good/bad experiences at the dealer
    2) get to know the service department. Ask about a SRT tech on staff ( I think they call them a Level 3 tech).
    3) see if they routinely service SRT's and SRT Vipers.

My local dealer pis*** me off, so I travel a couple cities over where I bought the HC. I keep in touch with the internet manager, and when I brought it in for the fuel rail recall ( only had one in stock..they kept it in my name for over a week when I called) and they also did a couple of extra "little things" for me....NO CHARGE..... so that's the customer service I look for...

• Like Like x 1
  4. RoadwarriorCA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    we ran over each other....LOL:D

5. 4510

4510 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If it is an inbound order... depending on where you are in the build/ship cycle... it is possible to have it drop shipped directly to a home town dealer.
    Of course your selling dealer is going to have to push some coin for the PDI work to your local dealer. Local dealer in here in Arizona has already done one such deal for a local buyer that bought out of state.

6. RoadwarriorCA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree..also being in Ca....have to make sure we are smog compliant:( buying out of state. You know, we love paying higher gas prices ( summer blend) and smog certificates:eek:. Really doesn't make sense charging us the higher prices since its a global environment not a state environment while China and India etc. is crapping up the air for their benefit ... just a personal opinion...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Find a service team with experience on vipers and other srt vehicles.

Introduce yourself, with everyone, advisor, parts, definitely your tech. Enjoy forming a good relationship with them, become friends. Oh fyi spend your efforts that way on the workers not leaders. Take them some donuts or take your tech and advisor out to lunch.

Expect a few issues, mostly with scheduling and accept that and be patient. Because doing so you will be the exception let the other people and their vehicles be non pc You will be known as the nice person who cares about the team who works on your Hellcat.

Form a strong bond, then your car will be treated like royalty, so will you. Win win works everytime.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. 4510

4510 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I always have a good relationship with my car service folks. Restaurant gift cards at Christmas times are always a good investment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yup. I tend to go a bit overboard. But I could call my tech right now, if it was critical he'd drive to my house. I also take care of advisor and parts. Also write letters of appreciation send to dealer GM. (That got me free hellcat sign. So maybe overboard not too costly.) My car always goes to head of line I just call in advance, drive around back and into bay, sit chat learn and watch work done it's always a blast.

10. Dr Hfuhruhurr

Dr Hfuhruhurr SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you all for your input and advice! Excellent suggestions...

Regards,
    Rich

11. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know but my current dealer cant seem to get a fuel rail for my hellcat which I purchased at another dealer... its been over a month and thousands of miles.. yet every day I read of someone walking into their dealer and they are able to order part no problems

12. Zookeeper93

Zookeeper93 GOZ211

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought out of state and have had two repairs: one to replace the super charger and one for the fuel rail crossover recall. Finding a good service dept was important to me. They are an SRT dealership, not a viper one, and we have been very pleased. The car stayed in its own garage bay while there and only two people are allowed to drive it, per dealership rules.

• Like Like x 1