Racing Fuel VP MS109 question

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by frank358fr, May 18, 2016.

1. frank358fr

frank358fr Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hi Folks,

I need to know the truth here. Is it worth putting VP MS109 racing fuel in my Hellcat. Will I gain power? I read that it should help the engine but does the 93 do the same job or the VP MS109 is really helping at the drag strip.

My Hellcat is stock with Drag Radial only.

Let me know

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It' doesn't hurt to put in a few gal of 109 to a 1/4 tank 93, fact is you really don't know what the 93 is so if looking for a good number why not.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What Top Cat said would be good safe guard against gas that isn't up to standards. Try it with race gas and without. If your 93 octane is up to standard and your not getting any spark knock the 109 may actually hurt performance.

4. Lumpy53

Lumpy53 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's the 93 octane that the car is tuned for so that's what I would use if you change to the race fuel get a tune with that fuel in it then you'll notice a big diff

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Link

Link Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thought I read somewhere on here where someone mentioned that mixing gas would not help as they do not truly mix together. 93 +91 does not equal 92 . So 106 and 93 would be the same, as I recall. You would just have pockets of 106 floating around in the 93 stuff. If this is wrong please correct me. I am just recollecting something I read on here.
    ;)

6. Lumpy53

Lumpy53 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I cannot answer that question I wouldn't have any idea but I know that gas stations mix your premium and regular to get a midgrade so yes you can mix fuel but I do not know about leaded and unleaded

7. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Subscribed

8. Link

Link Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yea , I was just doing some internet research on mixing octanes and it says you can, so what I read before must have been incorrect, although I don't remember anyone ever disputing what was said. next time I will do my own research before trying to quote someone else, sorry. There are a lot of very sharp individuals on this forum, but I'm not one of them, lol.
    :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gas does mix, even the leaded will mix with the unleaded.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lumpy53

Lumpy53 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Neither am I honestly I just trying to fit in

11. Birddog

Birddog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Frank, what you are basically achieving by mixing your fuel is to increase your octane level in a cost effective manner instead of 100% race fuel. As Link said mixing 50% 91 and 50% 93 does not equal 92. That being said by mixing 5 gal of 109 and filling the remainder of the tank with 91 would give you probably around an octane level of 96-97. From a performance perspective (even with out a tune) it will allow the computer to run max timing without retarding it due to ping (knock) thus resulting in more performance. The next thing that comes into play is weather (density altitude). If your running your car in Denver on a stock ECM, you probably will never see the benefits of this due to lack of air. But at sea level and on a nice cool day where the air is thick (good), this will allow your car to run to its maximum. But don't expect NOS effect here. I would expect that on prime runs (same location) on a track with a mix vs a straight 91 fuel you might see a difference of up to 0.05 et gain (ex. 10.90 with 91 and 10.85 with mix). You would probably see more gain between a good launch and a bad one and would really know which gave you the better ET, the launch or the fuel- LOL! That is the joy of EFI cars, they monitor how the motor is running to keep things safe. Days of carburetors, if you raced in Denver and had the car tunes just right, then traveled to Seattle for a race and left the tune the same, you would lean out pretty bad and would need better gas (octane and bigger jets). Lots of Racing 101 here that isn't necessarily 100% accurate but gives you the just of what you asking (I think)- lol!!! :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BTW, VP109 is an oxygenated fuel which will have a benefit at higher elevations.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Birddog

Birddog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cool TC, I didn't know that. How does the oxygenated fuel act with the sensors/ stock ECM? Trying to remember but I thought when we tried Q16 on our top dragster a few years ago, we needed to increase at least 4 jet sizes to avoid leaning out. I remember there was good gains with the oxygenated fuel but we couldn't get the car to run consistent on it ... The older I get, the less I remember- hahaha

14. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Most pump gas is oxygenated too so no issues with sensors...

15. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your car will self correct AFR from the data it is taking in from a few sources.