Radiator leak - again....

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by ChallCat, Mar 1, 2016.

1. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So, I took it in for an oil change this morning, no leaks when I left the house. Got it up to the dealership, got all checked in, sat down with coffee and the paper and they come tell me I have another radiator leak (on my replacement radiator from 6 mos ago! Same spot as before at the lower passenger side corner where the metal is clamped to the plastic end cap).

We looked at the ground where I first pulled in - no drips. Apparently it happened from where it sat for 10 minutes when I first pulled in to where they had it up on the lift...

So, I had to leave it there (they gave me a ride home) because the re-replacement radiator is in St. Louis and won't be here until tomorrow.

Lucky as hell it happened at the dealership or I would feel a lot worse about it than I do...

Looks like I will be sourcing and aftermarket radiator for peace of mind and just so I don't have to worry about needing to change out the radiator with every other oil change.... the Shop Manager is a great guy though... said they would install any aftermarket radiator I bring in and my warranties will still be good.

2. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is not good. Tells me no improvements have been made.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    FYI: currently 13k miles - first replacement at about 5k miles....

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Frank

Frank Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have my Challenger Hellcat 14 months now and just had to have radiator replaced today, what a big job!!
    Took about 7 hours and they had to take half the car apart.
    Hope this one holds up.
    4400 miles

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We have seen a batch of these with issues. We have done probably 3/4 of them. I will check for tsb or star cases for this. Report back

• Like Like x 1
  6. ArchGE

ArchGE VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Sheeshh, is FCA ever going to get a clue?

7. kenhebe

kenhebe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would not take the word of a service advisor about your warranty with an aftermarket radiator. Your best bet is to continue to roll with the factory replacement. I run a shop myself. Trust me...you need to stick with the factory one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd love to stick with the factory "one". Problem is that now, if I stick to factory, I'll always be wondering when my latest factory "one" is going to pop.... kind of a spoiler.

I know mechanical shyt breaks and it's part of the "game", but damn, two popped radiators in the same place on a new car? And numerous others that have reported the same... and those are only the ones I know about from this forum.

I'm going to try the factory R&R again, but if it happens a third time I think I'll have to try an all metal replacement that's welded rather than "pressed" together. Rather not be driving around all the time worrying about it..

I hear you about the warranty though, but at the same time, I don't want to be jacking with a radiator replacement every 6k miles.. we shall see..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. kenhebe

kenhebe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are better off putting a factory radiator in that may have a problem rather than an aftermarket one. The knock offs all have plastic tanks as well. Furthermore, if the factory one pops again that is on Dodge. If the knock off pops that is on you. Let it be on Dodge's hands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think there is any plastic in this one:

Fluidyne Heavy Duty Aluminum Drop-In Radiator for 2005+ 5.7L, 6.1L & 6.4L HEMI Cars SHP30-HD

Still researching...

11. kenhebe

kenhebe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, and after a day of internet scrubbing, I'm tired of messin' with it already, lol.

I picked it up tonight with the factory replacement. Asked 'em to order a pallet of replacement radiators for me for quick stock change-outs as needed. They can put them next to my half case of Viper oil filters. Got a roll-off tow truck buddie's number on speed-dial... I'm good to go!...heheh;)