RAX Jailbreak 8.4AN

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by SinisterKitty, Jan 11, 2015.

1. SinisterKitty

SinisterKitty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Been thinking hard about this one guys. Does anyone have any experience with jail broken Nav systems? You can use Nav features while moving and even install Apple TV if your heart desires so....

• Like Like x 1
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let us know if it works, looks cool

3. Kaiju

Kaiju Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh, wow. That could be cool. Especially if the in car WiFi for $30 is unlimited data, haha.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  4. Jim Hetrick

Jim Hetrick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We wait to hear more

5. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    He says the apple tv is jaikbroken, not Uconnect. I guess by now you probably only need a lockpick with an HDMI input to do this or something similar.

6. SinisterKitty

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, It was the Uconnect with a lock picked jailbreak token and a jailbroken Apple TV as well. I just found out that it doesn't work with SRT vehicles, or they are having problems with them. I emailed the guy at CustomTronix about using this with SRT vehicles. I will keep y'all posted. If you want to use Apple TV there is an extra harness you need to install which has a HDMI port.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. DravenGSX

DravenGSX Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I attempted to reply to this thread yesterday, but I guess the mods didn't approve my post? That's my video in the post above. I supplied quite a bit of information in my post, so before I re-type it all, I guess I'll see if this one posts?

• Like Like x 1
  8. DravenGSX

DravenGSX Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That's sort of correct. With the JGC at least, installing the SRT apps in non-SRT cars causes UConnect to not work. However, the SRT vehicles work just fine with all of the apps. In fact, they have been the cleanest installs so far... in the JGC SRT8 at least.

The jailbroken Apple TV is incidental. I had planned to show XBMC running (which provides much more content), but Netflix was good enough (or I got captivated by Mickey's Christmas special).

9. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Why did you have to jailbreak the apple tv? That difficult? I'd LOVE to have the override for NAV and apple tv in my Charger Hellcat.

10. DravenGSX

DravenGSX Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I didn't have to jailbreak the Apple TV. I had planned to demonstrate XBMC on the Apple TV (which requires the Apple TV to be Jailbroken) in the video, but didn't.

The Nav override is just software. The install is very simple. If you look at my other videos on YouTube, one of them is of the installation of the software. To add the Apple TV, there is a pass-through wiring harness that Customtronix sells that adds two video inputs (front cam and cargo cam). The cargo cam input has audio and is what is used for the Apple TV. Installation of the harness is also very simple.

It's really slick with iPhone mirroring and apps like Google Maps.

11. SinisterKitty

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It took a couple days to get a straight forward answer from CustomTronics, but the information I received does agree with what you're saying. He Said that the SRT app in non-SRT vehicles doesn't work in US vehicles, it works 50% of the time in Canadian vehicles, and works 100% of the time in the rest of the world. He said I should be fine. I guess I will give it a try.
    I am going to check out your other videos. Did you personally install the pass through harness for the Apple TV? Did you need an HDMI converter in addition to the audio input from the cargo cam? I have seen that I need one to install the Apple TV. Thanks DravenGSX.

12. DravenGSX

DravenGSX Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    There are some communication and cultural differences with them and they can come off harsh, but so far everybody that has dealt with them has had an awesome experience. I ordered the silver package and received everything within two days of payment. It was shipped from Sweden to Florida in that time. After installation, I had correspondence with Magnus from Customtronix about how the software works and some things that I had found and we worked through some suggestions for future functionality and a couple of other things. He was also very helpful in finding my way around the system (It's QNX with LUA scripts and Flash btw). Very responsive, all things considered.

The installation of the software is clever. You load up the software that they provide onto a USB stick and insert it into the car as though you were upgrading the radio software normally. It performs the upgrade with the stock swdl.iso firmware. At the end of that upgrade process, the upgrade script looks for a companion firmware file that happens to be there called swdl-fo.iso. This is where the changes are. There is a check in the installation script for tokens that are generated based on your VIN authorizing you to install the new features, which are Nav lock-out disable (worth its weight in gold!), Cargo cam, front cam and front cam under 11 MPH. This can be installed without the harness in the silver package. Removal (should you need to take it to the dealership for example) is even easier as it identifies the tokens that are installed when you plug in the stick and asks you if you would like to install/remove each feature.

I did install the wiring harness. It was a piece of cake in the Jeep. The bezel around the radio is held on with 12 clips and once you get the nerve to pull, comes right off. Then there are 4 bolts holding the radio in place and it comes right out. In the attached picture, the red side goes into the radio and the existing harness goes into the black side. The lever on the red side pulls up and the harness pulls right out of the radio. Put this one in place and push it into the radio, then push the lever down to lock it in place. The entire process is about 10 minutes once you get the nerve to pull the trim piece. I assume that the Challenger radio is held in the same way, but I'm sure that there is plenty out there documenting how to remove the radio from the Challenger dash, so don't take my word for it.

Once the harness is in place, you'll need an HDMI-Composite adapter (I picked the one with the best reviews on amazon for like 20 bucks). Plug the adapter into the Cargo Cam input, then the HDMI from your Apple TV into the adapter. I'm using the AC power outlet behind the center console in the Jeep to power the Apple TV and have the Apple TV loose under the driver's seat. This gives me access to it which allows me to use the remote, but it would be cleaner to hide it in the dash and grab power from somewhere else.

The attached picture is what I received with the RAX Silver package. It included the wiring harness and a camera. The software was delivered on a file sharing site for download.

Attached Files:

13. SinisterKitty

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow, that was very helpful. I was feeling like this was going to be a hail mary, but that clears up a lot. Thanks for all the advice my friend. I am going to place the order tomorrow. I will keep everyone updated.

Now, about the Nav lockout disable feature's value. Is that 1996's value of gold or more like a 2011's all time high value?

Thanks again buddy.

14. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Whoa whoa! Did someone just say Google Maps as in, self installed, easier to use Navigation?!?!

15. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is all very cool, but I think I would just go with a iPad mini, mounted and connected to the audio system, using the onboard wifi and Netflix app, if I was going to do something like this. Too bad UConnect isn't really apple friendly (iPhone doesn't work with the VR and text messaging) or if Apple Carplay could eventually work with UConnect too..

But for those that like to tinker and add stuff, this looks cool. I personally would be afraid to damage the unit and void the warranty, but that is just me:D