Reading about the issues with the Hellcat is scaring me

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by Markp, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello guys,

I am new to the forum and figured this would be the best place to make my decision. I have been dreaming Hellcats for the past year now. I thought my decision was made but as I started reading about all the issues with the Hellcat I am a little scared now to be honest. I am selling my 2000 Camaro SS with a built 383 stroker 300 shot of nitrus to make room in the garage for the Hellcat. The Hellcat would be used as a daily driver and weekend drag toy. In my mind I was picturing driving it to the dragstrip which is 60 miles from my home doing 20 passes and driving home. With the issues I have been reading I'm not so sure now. My main concern is will these issues be fixed for 2016 and will the Hellcat be able to be the weekend warrior I need it to be. The issues with the driveshaft is one that is really bothering me as I plan on putting wider wheels with drag radials. Also I plan on getting the auto trans and I am not so sure how it will hold up. Any feed back from real owners who are dragging this car would be very helpfull. Please guys help me out as I am torn right now. I love everything about the car but these issues are causing me to loose sleep. I am ready to order just need some honest advice. Thanks guys

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How does your Camaro with a 300 shot handle doing 20 passes at the dragstrip in a single day?

Can't imagine that car wasn't breaking parts....

Why are you scared about the DS? That's an easy fix. I'm more worried about the radiator.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree,, change the drive shaft,, and watch out for the radiator...That's it....great car. I don't regret getting mine...

4. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have an aluminum shaft and over 120 runs and counting on mine

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My aluminum shaft is in the box next to the car, too lazy to install it

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'll just mention again that ALL cars have issues, they are just majorly highlighted here on this forum. If you look at the issues reported here in contrast with the total units built, I imagine this car has no more issues than any other... The harder you drive it, the more repairs will be required - same with any car.

Grab your ride and enjoy it!:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. digdug33071

digdug33071 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bought mine in January - I did have to replace the radiator, but other than that (and maybe some smoked tires), it's been awesome.

8. tsubahog

tsubahog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My son just toasted the clutch in his 2015 Corvette due to "spirited driving". Fixed in a week by Dealer under Warranty.

Problems happen in all cars especially sports cars. Just enjoy your Cat.

9. Tazman

Tazman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First year models always have teething problems. A majority of them are fixed as they are discovered and taken into account in the manufacturing process. Early 2015 builds most likely have more issues than late 2015 builds. 2016s will even be a little better.

That said... since you plan on taking it to the track... then you will want to strengthen some of the weaknesses pointed out by others here, like the drive shaft and radiator. Put an extra hose clamp on the radiator and watch it closely... if the radiator does blow for some reason... I'd just go with an aftermarket one, if you are going to the track all the time.... don't bother with a Warranty replacement.

10. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If your going to beat the snot out of it every time you go to the track you better get the 7-8 year warranty,LOL The car will heat soak just like any other car but the difference will be it stays consistent if you bracket race, as far as issues no more that any other make or model. One thing for sure it will be wayyyyyyyyy better than that GM you have now..
    TC

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Markp

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't run 300 every pass. Its built for an occasional 300 shot but 150 shot is safe all day. I want the hellcat because I want a warrantied car that is fun at the strip just dont want issues.

12. Markp

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hear what you guys are saying about the issues are few for the numbers built and that it has issues like any other sports car. When I was reading about all the issues with the hellcat I just pictured all the issues happening to me lol. I am not gentle on my cars by any means. If a car has 707hp I am going to use all the hp whenever I can. I don't want to have to trailer it to the track that should not be necessary. I believe you shouldn't have to, it is after all a stock car and should be able to launch again and again without issues. Maybe I am giving the cat too much credit I don't know but a Porsche turbo can be launched 50 times or more without breaking, overheating or any issues. I know you guys are going to say that car costs a hell of a lot more but I would hope a Hellcat could do it at least 20 without issues.

I want a car I can drive around town and take it to the drag strip and run it without issues. A 707hp car with warranty and can break 11s on drag radials was what got me interested in the Hellcat.

If its just changing a drive-shaft and a rad I'm ok with that. I just don't want to have issue after issue. My goal honestly with this car is consistent mid 10s with drag radials and a couple bolt ons like a pulley, tune and exhaust mods.

13. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can't recall any car I was interested in, not finding a forum where issues existed that concerned me. The only one I see now that I hope never happens to me (anyone) is what appears to be sc intercooler leaks, but, very few reported. And maybe rear end problems.

Push this car to its max capability a lot, I expect more service work. Doubt FCA would rate 100% duty cycle for that (it is a street legal car and no race car is either.)

Going back through the years mopar muscle cars have had their challenges. More than others dunno.

So far, given 1st model year, I'm ok with that I see, but have not had too many issues.

Will be interesting to see these car's with 50k+ miles.

Keeping car get the extended warranty, if for no other reason, there is no long term high mileage history.

All said hell of a car, happy to own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Markp

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    TallCool1 what's your mileage on your cat? Have you taken it o the drag strip at all? If so any issues like overheating for example.

At this point I am just going to order one and hope for the best.

15. FINALLYSATISFIED

FINALLYSATISFIED Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    OP I'm not going to convince you. If your scared then don't buy it. Plain and simple.

Every car out there has issues. Find me one that doesn't. It comes down to what you want and accepting that fact that anything you buy isn't defect free. That's what warranties are for.